My thoughts comming from iRacing

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by NicoCL68, Nov 27, 2020.

1. NicoCL68

NicoCL68 Member

Ratings:
    +21 / 0 / -0
    So, after some testing I wanna give some opinions.

Things I think are better in RaceRoom than in iRacing: Physics, sound, contact model between vehicles (Probably the most important point and the one that makes me get closer to RaceRoom), tyre model (awful in iracing)

Things I think are better in iRacing than in RaceRoom: Online competition, camera systems, replay system (in race, no need to go out) and information, on time, on race, and even after on the portal, endurance races with pilot swapping.

I hope you take this criticism as an a constructive approach. Really hope RaceRoom can work on improving this points.

• Like Like x 7
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Informative Informative x 2
  2. rad

rad Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +458 / 0 / -0
    Out of curiosity - which cars did you try? Quality of them in RaceRoom can vary massively - some of older cars are just crap (almost no one uses them, and even if they'd be updated, they still wouldn't probably be used :D), some are okay, some are good and some are great or better (to be fair, most are falling into two latter categories).

Could you elaborate on camera systems? From what I've seen, recent updates to some gave RaceRoom a bit more natural look when it comes to cameras, which gave them a bit similar look to what iRacing has (thos imperfections in tracking). I wonder if maybe this is a bit deeper in iRacing?

When it comes to online competition system, it's in early stages and only recently really got going. Ranked Multiplayer section in portal was added like 2 months ago. Seems like fundations are Iaid out and it should be getting better and better in following months (or years :p).

Menus are currently worked on and should get better functionalities (apparently replay menu is closest to be finished) and if setup screen is any indication, this should be pretty substantial. When it comes to onscreen information (not sure to which you're reffering), check out https://forum.sector3studios.com/in...custom-webhud-with-additional-features.13152/

I wouldn't count on driver swaps in near future.

3. NicoCL68

NicoCL68 Member

Ratings:
    +21 / 0 / -0
    I try WTCR and DTM as new stuff in my experience and especially GT3 which is my favorite class. I'm loving it.

I just hope the ranked servers becomes successful and that there may be competition possible.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Dale Junior

Dale Junior Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +983 / 0 / -0
    Yeah, a complete reworked R3E replay window with a new menu / UI incl. much more analytical car - track - race data are very mandatory for our racing sim No. 1.

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. NicoCL68

NicoCL68 Member

Ratings:
    +21 / 0 / -0
    100% agree

6. John Brandow

John Brandow Member

Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0
    Interesting. As a huge FWD fan I am constantly coming back to Raceroom for the content. None of the issues you dislike have even come up for me yet. I don't mind the replay as I sometime get distracted by the immediate replay of Iracing. The thing that makes me keep leaving is the constant issues and huge revamps. Iracing and Assetto both have silly physics when it comes to brakes and brake lock up that Raceroom has perfect but I constantly find myself cursing at the lack of steering feel and input weirdness. If I come straight home from a weekend in the real race car back to the Sim, I can jump into Raceroom and the brakes are intuitive and natural but the steering feels like I am trying to drive a little red wagon with 300 hp. Iracing is just ridiculous after a weekend in the car. You have to delete everything you know about driving a car. Assetto is probably the best compromise of the three. I can jump in and be about as fast as I was before the time in the real car. I have been searching for the last week straight for some sort of fix but the only thing I found was Alex saying it may be a bug and whatever.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Turtle Power

Turtle Power Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +302 / 0 / -0
    Raceroom is the most underrated sim on the market. Maybe because its small in comparison to other big boys. One thing you need to pay attention to is the FFB. It will take some time to get it to your liking. If you are using Direct drive, it is worth checking ini file and adjusting frequencies to your needs. And how about the tyre slip, gear shifting effect and engine vibe..... great stuff.
    The main reason why I love Raceroom is because (with time spent to dial in), it gives me the best driving experience. Online system not even close to iRacing atm. Its getting better every day and hopefully one day it will show the world how great sim this is.

• Like Like x 2
  8. NicoCL68

NicoCL68 Member

Ratings:
    +21 / 0 / -0
    After playing a bit more:

I'm glad with RaceRoom. Just one criticism: Not all available items have the same quality level.

Some tracks like Spa, Hungaroring, Laguna, Suzuka, Red Bull Ring, Mount Panorana, are brilliant. Others (may be older ?) like Imola, Monza, are in a lower level. Something similar happens with cars, new ones are much better.

So for me RaceRoom only need two or maybe three elements to be a prime contender: Integrate a good replay/spectator system (something is already done in a separate mode, but not enough), show better, more, information about statistics and races, and give a more varied offer in ranked races even is this becomes a separate, even payed service. And last: Give a system for team playing swapping pilots in endurance races.

Finally one comment: many of my colleagues from iRacing say to me this: "Yes, RaceRoom maybe feels better on track, but iRacing give me more"
    I'm sure Sector3 must be aware about all off this. Hope they are working on it

9. ravey1981

ravey1981 Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +873 / 0 / -0
    Monza has been updated to 2020 standards so I'm not sure why you feel it is sub standard?

Tracks are regularly updated in this game. Some more updates may be on the way...

10. FormelLMS

FormelLMS Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +229 / 0 / -0
    This is a good point. Raceroom is updating the tracks regularly for free against iRacing where you have to buy a new version of Daytona e.g.

11. Turtle Power

Ratings:
    +302 / 0 / -0
    A lot more is happening in iRacing for sure. I guess it all depends on your personal preference. I am all for driving experience and immersion that raceroom can deliver. iRacing online system and options are superior but if you ask me about iR driving experience, I rather not open my mouth. Finally, I do switch between RR and iR but RR is my go to sim.

Edit: Coming from iR to any other title may take a little bit longer to adjust I believe. Most people get custom to their first sim title and they stay with it. RR was my first love and I am glad it was.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  12. David tabone

David tabone Member

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0
    Atleast with raceroom you own what you pay for and not rent like iracing.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  13. Turtle Power

Ratings:
    +302 / 0 / -0
    Don't like subscription based titles but I wouldn't mind doing that for a package that can provide both great online and great driving experience. I guess you cant have both by the look of it.

14. spyshagg

spyshagg Active Member

Ratings:
    +34 / 0 / -0
    * as long as some server in some datacenter remains online.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. SunnySunday

SunnySunday Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +79 / 0 / -0
    Guess you haven't experienced raceroom during maintenance

16. David tabone

David tabone Member

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0
    Ive had raceroom nearly 10 years im used to updates etc but I only just started multi player

• Like Like x 1
  17. ravey1981

ravey1981 Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +873 / 0 / -0
    If there were ever a time when the game was unsupported it would be easy enough to bring all the assets onto the players PC. There are already versions of the game that don't rely on servers (commercial version for example)