FR3 less grip

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by RogerSaele, Dec 23, 2020.

1. RogerSaele

RogerSaele New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    It seems FR3 (and perhaps the other open wheelers?) have much less grip after the December update. Did some laps with FR3 around Silverstone (leaderboard challenge, default setup). T1/Abbey used to be flat out, but now there is no chance to take it flat out. I thought perhaps I needed to warm the tires or something, but in that case I was unable to. Anyone else experience the same? FR3 did not get a mention in the change log. A couple of the Formula Raceooms got a mention for tyre model updates and engine maps, but not the FR3.

2. Melvin Wiericx

Melvin Wiericx New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hi there,

Well here goes my first post on the forum for a similar reason you describe.
    I have a similar question, I was loving driving the dtm 2016 around bathurst, with not much time at hand this track combo has been my go to for weeks now. Yesterday I had some time so I jumped in again. One of the reasons I was loving this track combo was that I could go full throttle true a big part of the hill section, yesterday there was nog change to do so or I'll ended up in the boarders. Felt like a real bummer cause I also haven't seen any dtm 2016 update in the change log.

Cant say for the FR3 but like I said I experienced the same thing only then with the dtm 2016 Mercedes car.

Like you very curious more people experienced this ?

Greetings

3. Rafael Quintero Vicente

Rafael Quintero Vicente New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hola: y también he sentido una pérdida de agarre, especialmente en las curvas, en el bmw 235 i. Tengo la sensación de que han dejado por defecto el control de tracción al 35% y creo recordar que antes era del 50%.

Hello: and i have also felt loss of grip especially coming out of corners, on the bmw 235 i. I have the feeling that they have defaulted the traction control to 35% and I think I remember that before it was 50%.

4. Gerjan Smits

Gerjan Smits New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Okay guess I am not crazy then! I noticed the same difference yesterday. A few days ago I did a AI race (on 108 if I recall correctly) on suzuka GP circuit. Managed to get ahead of the AI in both quali and the race and did laps around 1:55. Then today all of a sudden I am doing 2:02 laps and losing 1.5 second to the AI in sector 1 alone! Can't even get close to 102 AI. Something drastically changed with the FR3 cars.

This is with the default tuning by the way.

5. Balrog

Balrog Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +466 / 0 / -0
    I think the Group C cars also have slightly lower grip than before and they are also unlisted on the changelog. Maybe some other change in the physics engine affects this indirectly.

6. Jukka Karppinen

Jukka Karppinen Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +137 / 0 / -0
    Group C is on new tyres too.

7. Nir Tal

Nir Tal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +53 / 0 / -0
    Tried the DTM2020 yesterday on Norisring with my well prepared setup from 2 weeks ago and couldnt get anyway near my LB lap time. Had to do a lot of setup changes to get close to the car behaviour i remembered and still I was much slower. A bit weird as the patch doesnt mention any physics changes to DTM2020

8. Gerjan Smits

Gerjan Smits New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    The annoying part is that the AI (for FR3 at least) seems to be unaffected. My laps dropped by a few seconds while they still drive the old times. I did 1.55 vs AI 1.56 and now I am doing 2:02 with the AI doing 1.56 still. I can probably shave of a second or two when I am used to the new behavior but no chance of ever getting back to sub <1.56.

9. CrimsonEminence

CrimsonEminence Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +102 / 0 / -0
    DTM 2020 received engine modes, a different throttle map (as also mentioned in the changelog actually) and i even assume, the 4.1 tyre model (which it already was on) itself got some tweaks + setup adjustments to it. Also Turbo calculation changed.
    I also had to reset my FR2 setup, because differential ranges in the setup have changed. (now more steps and less lock possible, also noticed it with the FR-X17) After making a new setup, the cars drive pretty much like before.

But i agree, that on throttle understeer can now be more existent, than pre-update.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2020
  10. Nir Tal

Ratings:
    +53 / 0 / -0
    Yes, engine/throttle map was reported and it feels much better, but something change in the handling...mostly on slow corners
    might be the tire 4.1 tweaks

11. RogerSaele

RogerSaele New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    For FR3 it's not only the slow corners, but overall less grip. Like mentioned, T1/Abbey at Silverstone which now cannot be taken flat out anymore is a high speed corner. And it's night and day. Cannot just lift a little bit, need to slow down considerably. Don't get me wrong, I love the update overall, but the FR3 (which I have driven a lot lately) is way different now. As an open wheeler it should have a lot of grip, right?

12. rad

rad Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +458 / 0 / -0
    I'd guess it could be related to revamped aero simulation.

Could be that either car works completely wrong with those changes or it might need some adjustments to ride height and/or wing angles

13. Nir Tal

Ratings:
    +53 / 0 / -0
    Dont know about the FR3 but in the DTM2020 its not the Porpoising/Diffuser stall which Alex explained.
    I experienced the Porpoising with the Nissan RC90 in the Glen (that car is insane now :) with the 1000HP) and i can say its something you feel well.. cant miss it.
    In case of the DTM2020 its mostly slow corners so it couldnt be related to aero.
    Tried same combo (DTM2020/Norisring) today, and only when I moved brake bias all the way to the rear (40% front :eek:), the car got close to the previous behaviour

14. Arthur Spooner

Arthur Spooner Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +432 / 0 / -0
    Maybe something changed that's not in the changelog for whatever reason. If you are using an old setup, have you tried loading the default setup?

15. RogerSaele

RogerSaele New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Default setup, but perhaps they need to update the default setup for the FR3 as a result of the changes... I will try adjusting ride height and/or wing angles as @rad suggested, and see if that helps.

16. Nir Tal

Ratings:
    +53 / 0 / -0
    Yes, I need to try the default setup to see if it feels better

17. Skidmark

Skidmark Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +232 / 0 / -0
    Just to add my 2c, the FR3 felt much less grippy / more twitchy to me too yesterday (BHGP, default set up). It was always my go-to car for learning a new track because it was very planted and fun to drive.

Not a big deal - I am getting used to it - but would be interested to know if it’s just my (our) imagination or not... :eek:

18. Alex Hodgkinson

Alex Hodgkinson KW Studios Developer

Ratings:
    +1,948 / 0 / -0
    What you guys are experiencing is definitely down to some aero behavioural tweaks we made (detailed here).
    To get around it, I'd suggest you increase spring rates and ride height too.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  19. RogerSaele

RogerSaele New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    It is very understeary. I tried some setup changes, but I must admit I'm no setup ninja...rather noob. Tried increasing front downforce, and lowered ride height (both front and back). So you're saying I should increase ride height?

At Silverstone GP I managed high 1:53s before, but now the lowest I got was low 2:01. BTW, I probably exaggerated when mentioning the Silverstone Abbey corner though. Although not flat out anymore, a touch of the brakes or some lift and it was fine.

Are you going to update the default setup for this car?

20. RogerSaele

RogerSaele New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Ok, I see you say the following regarding porpoising, I will try this: