Released Watkins Glen International

Discussion in 'News & Announcements' started by Georg Ortner, Dec 4, 2020.

1. fireballr18

fireballr18 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +75 / 0 / -0
    What is the source for your opinion? According steam charts R3E is doing better then anytime before. I do not see any sign this trend will change.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Wilko Jones

Wilko Jones Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +80 / 0 / -0
    To some, it's not a sim, but Forza gave a taste of driving Nascar like Stock cars around Sonoma and Watkins Glen. And it was a certified blast to do so. I'd welcome Stock cars in Raceroom with open an VRP wallet.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Aspius

Aspius Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +47 / 0 / -0
    I find the topic about if something is laser scanned or not to be interesting. It's a fairly common question that is asked. It's something the devs like to mention when it have been done. Something thats never asked about it though is the quality of the laser scan.

A laser scan simplified is basically a device that sends out a laser that when it hits a surface it reflects and a point is created. It does this thousands upon thousands of times eventually leaving you with millions of points when you are finished. Eventually these points are read and uploaded into a program that is used to create a track.

Then the question becomes about how tightly these points are placed. Is there 1 mm between them? Maybe its 1 cm or even 10 cm. It could be 1 m between them for all we know.

If its 1 m between the points, you can recreate the layout of a track pretty well but it won't catch any bumps. On the other hand, if you have 1 mm between them you will get everything but most of it would probably be unnoticeable. These are of course on the extreme side of things. The goal of course is to find the balance of using as few points as possible but getting as much detail as possible. The more points you take, the longer it takes and the more data there is meaning it's gonna cost more.

In the end, we the players will always want the track to be as accurate as possible and it's the devs job to figure out the best way to deliver that to us.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

LIDAR (Light detection and ranging) is laser scanning. I don't think the method really matters that much as long as it feels right in the end.

• Like Like x 4
    • Informative Informative x 3
  4. RampageRacing

RampageRacing Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +71 / 0 / -0
    I drove a few exploratory laps tonight once I finally got the update downloaded and purchased the track. It is a great addition to the American tracks. Bravo! Thank you for adding it.

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  5. FormelLMS

FormelLMS Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +229 / 0 / -0
    I really have to say:
    What a nice track. I have it in other sims like iRacing but this here looks far superior. I don't know, what happens yesterday, but Raceroom looks very very good now :)
    I really love to say thank you for getting my whishes come true with Watkins Glen.

• Like Like x 3
  6. fireballr18

fireballr18 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +75 / 0 / -0
    Really nice track. Many details, great feeling. I will spend a lot of hours on it :)

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  7. Dave R

Dave R Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +576 / 0 / -0
    Well done on this track and Brands Hatch GP. Thanks for the 4 layouts as well.

• Like Like x 3
  8. CDwyer

CDwyer Member

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0
    I've never found myself listening to the track commentary before, its 2017 Indy Lights race.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Skybird

Skybird Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +803 / 0 / -0
    Visually its a stunner, and by Layout I always liked Watkins Glen, it simply has a very enjoyable flow, is pleasure to cruise. One of my favourite tracks in Raceroom from lap one on, and certaionly ht ebest representation of the real locaiton that I have ever seen in any sim. In school notes: A.

• Like Like x 5
  10. ozcanuck55

ozcanuck55 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +145 / 0 / -0
    I got this excellent track ( great work!!!!) at a bargain price by purchasing the "American Track Pack". I already had the others, so the upgrade was $2.95 versus $6.05 on it's own.

11. Skidmark

Skidmark Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +232 / 0 / -0
    Yes - wonderful track.

Minor quibble is that AI has a lot of pile ups coming out of Turn 1. We like unpredictable AI mistakes just not the ones that occur almost every tiime...

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Andi Goodwin

Andi Goodwin Moderator Beta tester

Ratings:
    +791 / 0 / -0
    Is this al classes ?

Andi

13. Alex Hodgkinson

Alex Hodgkinson KW Studios Developer

Ratings:
    +1,948 / 0 / -0
    When you mention turn 1, do you mean it's an issue on any given lap or do you mean it's an issue on the first lap of a race?

14. Hervé45

Hervé45 Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +135 / 0 / -0
    I will test this afternoon

• Wonderful Wonderful x 1
  15. Hervé45

Hervé45 Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +135 / 0 / -0
    @Skidmark and @Danny Michael
    on wich layout ?
    On watkins glen GP for me
    right for you ?
    with GTR3 : only on first lap and turn 1

Attached Files:

• 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      File size:
      149.3 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: Jun 4, 2021
  16. Skidmark

Ratings:
    +232 / 0 / -0
    Thanks everyone for responding!! And - now that I have your attention - thanks for such a wonderful game!!!:) All feedback is intended to be constructive.

I have done about 30 races at Watkins Glen across 3 classes / 2 layouts:

Watkins Glen Grand Prix (no Inner Loop) / FR90 / AI = 95
    Watkins Glen Grand Prix (no Inner Loop) / ADAC GTM 20 / AI = 99
    Watkins Glen Short (with Inner Loop) / Tatuus F4 / AI = 96

Observations (I'm sorry I haven't formally tallied this but the estimates would be roughly right):

* An AI pile up on Lap 1 / Turn 1 occurs 75% (?) of the time
    * There will be a yellow flag at that corner on perhaps 2-3 more laps in a 10 lap race with higher frequency in earlier laps while the field is bunched up.
    * Caused by one or two AI running wide and then spinning and ending up on right hand side often blocking the track on the way from left to right
    * It's not predictable in the sense that it will happen every lap but its predictable that it will happen 2-3 times every 10-lap race.

Here's an example (taken from my most recent race last night). All cars shown are AI - I was starting much further back in the field.

upload_2021-6-5_7-47-3.png

(1) [ABOVE] The Audi has run wide at T1

upload_2021-6-5_7-48-34.png

(2) [ABOVE] It oversteers (due to less grip or simply over-correcting trying to rejoin)

upload_2021-6-5_7-50-23.png

(3) [ABOVE] It's now a major incident! Rest of field piles up behind.

upload_2021-6-5_7-51-47.png

(4) [Above] On the very next lap we are under Yellow again. No collision with other AI but AI car ends up on right hand side in the wall.

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  17. Skidmark

Ratings:
    +232 / 0 / -0
    Just adding to my post above, I have been running some races in the DTM 2020s, AI=105, Watkins Glen Short (no Inner Loop) and the AI has been perfect. Just brilliant.

Ironically in the 60 minute race I just ran, my race ended on lap 26 when I ran slightly wide at T1, spun and ended up in the wall on the right hand side. :D:D:D (Read post above if irony is not apparent).

• Like Like x 1
    • Wonderful Wonderful x 1
  18. Bull Shark

Bull Shark Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +162 / 0 / -0
    Yeah the AI is the best AI compared to the race games I have. I really have a great time with the AI. Great because I do not have the time to race online.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. ozcanuck55

Ratings:
    +145 / 0 / -0
    Ran a mixed class race after the update ( DP,GT3, GT2, GT4) on GP circuit ( rolling start) and turn 1 was fine. One AI did spin there later and put it in the wall, but otherwise I had a great race at 95%, starting last in GT3 Porsche and moving through the pack. Close racing with no nastiness. AI seemed very good.

• Like Like x 3
  20. ozcanuck55

Ratings:
    +145 / 0 / -0
    To try the new physics, I loaded up the FR-US at Watkins Glen, which I haven't tried before ( usually Mid-Ohio and Road America)...holy s**t, are these things fast around here. Lots of insanely fast sweepers...it took a few laps to get up to speed, they have so much grip. I had been running GT3's here......no comparison. Mind blown.

• Like Like x 1
    • Love it! Love it! x 1