Ranking, rating, reputation....What?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Navigator, Dec 8, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Paul Darke

Paul Darke Moderator Beta tester

Ratings:
    +249 / 0 / -0
    @Navigator The other problem when looking at trying to code for these types of incidents is the processing power needed in the client computer to handle the calculations. Most of the guys and girls racing here wouldn't have a PC with the type of horse power needed.

2. azaris

azaris Active Member

Ratings:
    +33 / 0 / -0
    Gran Turismo Sport has a system that tries to assign penalties (slowdowns) proportionally according to blame. It is a nightmare. People get slowdowns for nothing, the rammee gets a slowdown while the rammer gets nothing, people exploit the penalty system by intentionally driving wide when there's contact in order to get their opponents a slowdown etc. It just doesn't work like you'd want it to.

Complaining about some some ranked race where you got the short end of the stick is unlikely to be a good use of your or anyone else's time. Take your lumps, hop on to the next one, and try to keep your distance from people who are driving erratically. The ranked races are largely meaningless so it's better to give up the position rather than risk crashing out. Then you can pass the erratic driver a few laps later as they go on an excursion into the gravel traps.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. GooseCreature

GooseCreature Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +670 / 0 / -0
    What stops me as the lead driver, slipping into reverse and ramming the guy behind? Every system will have an exploit and even if every race were stewarded by humans, all will not be perfect, look at VAR in footy in the UK, causing more arguments than before.
    My best solution is to test the water first, drop in, have a race, if it's full of Numpties I do some hot lapping or go elsewhere entirely, It's a case of doing enough to recognise the names to trust and the ones to avoid and if the system is working at all, if you pick carefully enough the numpties will drop down as you rise up the rankings. I've been stuck between 75 and 85 for months but since adopting my new regime, I've only dropped points once, early days though.
    For something that is supposed to be fun, can sure rub you up the wrong way on occasions, Jeez if I had to actually pay for the damage, I'd have murdered a few by now, you know who you are!! :D:D

4. Flintenwilly

Flintenwilly Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +115 / 0 / -0
    thats what i do. mostly starting in the midfield. But if someone is behind me, i let him space to divebomb right next to me, if he want or failed to calculate the brakingdistance with cold brakes. Yes this means i mostly loose 4-5 places, but in most races i can recover from that only by driving consistantly. The hotheaded drivers will sort themselfes out. 15 minutes is a bit short to catch up the front, especially when you stuck behind some cars in the first laps. But thats ok.
    And, well, i think this approach works, my rating is around 95, but its harder to gain rep. But rep is only needed for the endurance wednesday,where dont have time anyways

5. kosletten

kosletten New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I found this rather interesting. The orange car hit me twice, the second time he just bulldozed me off the the track. I ended up getting 2x vehicle contact incidents for the race, while the orange car made contact with several vehicles a total of six times in the first lap and a half. The orange car received zero vehicle contact incident points. dozer.jpg

6. Alexandros Annivas

Alexandros Annivas New Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    @Navigator If you are in the motorsport business and you have been in and out of race controls and stewards meetings just think one thing only. HOW MANY TIMES YOU HAVE DISAGREED WITH THE OFFICIALS OPINION BUT JUST SHUCK IT UP AND CONTINUED WITH YOUR WEEKEND? Personally a lot. Especially an big organizations where you (actually your team manager) are only called to announce your penalty without any buts...;)

Yes. Sometimes it is frustrating, there are a lot of (censored :nomouth:) but
    a) 90% of them have no clue from actual motorsports, regulations and driver ethics,
    b) have no clue about their environment and who is around them (the sim makes it even harder cause they don't have full view or immersion
    c) They don't have the race-craft developed yet (on what to anticipate, where to anticipate it, create switch/cut backs opportunities, almost everyone try to win the race in the first corner etc etc )
    d) They get very easy red mist and retaliation "mode on" because they don't have nothing to loose and don't have to pay for actual damage (oh how many passing moves I have done and not have done in real life only because I was running the sum up of the potential spare parts bill ):laughing:

And yes. I have been moaning on discord about the same but hell. I have done quite a few good races too that I totally enjoyed.

In conclusion... It is very very very difficult to program AI to think and give fair penalties or something like that. Even the more advanced game companies with unlimited budgets (call me ACC or GT Sport) cannot do it.

7. PolarClaw

PolarClaw Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    Tried today my first 2 ranked races.
    1st one was on the Rookie server to see how it's currently running. Some of the people are completely blind if you are beside them and don't see you. RaceRoom needs in the default some kind of arrows or radar app.
    2nd one was on Eurpoean#4 normal ranked server, and the 1st corner is as bad as on the rookie server. A few people just don't qualify and try to get some places in the first corner.

-> For me it was not racing it was rear mirror driving and trying to not get rammed. This leads also to a slow pace which bring more chances for incidents.

8. ravey1981

ravey1981 Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +873 / 0 / -0
    Can you link to your profile with that race result please

9. Navigator

Navigator Member

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    Well, I'm over it.
    Just now tried to get online, to see if all was a bit better now, but.......banned from all ranked races.

So, you have a rating of 1640/92,x bought all the content, state here that there are some guys ramming and YOU are the one getting banned?
    I mean; getting rammed by a dude who just bought ONE car, goes WOT into a tight corner on an intercept course, making you go off, getting you a handful of penalty's.......you are not allowed to say anything?
    "Thanks for the money, but no criticism here, goodbye!" ??

Where the HELL is this game made? Noord Korea??
    Well, it's a lot easier to ban the guy who bought one car and rams everyone off the track, having the lowest rating of all times.....
    Sure, KEEP HIM! Please do; everyone gets exited by the game when they meet him online.

Such pure censorship; screw this game and what a waste of money.

10. FeltHλt

FeltHλt Moderator Beta tester

Ratings:
    +479 / 0 / -0
    2 questions:
    How did a process of trying to get online and deducing you are banned from rankeds looked like? As i see there are no ranked servers at all, so im curious
    How is banning some from rankeds a censorship?

11. Navigator

Navigator Member

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    Well, I didn't drive in the meantime, so there was no weird action from me in a server.
    Now I'm banned after writing this posts over here.
    So yes, that IS censorship.

12. FeltHλt

Ratings:
    +479 / 0 / -0
    Wouldnt it make more sense to ban you on the forum to censor you? Anyway, what message you get, that informs you about ban?

13. Arthur Spooner

Arthur Spooner Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +432 / 0 / -0
    Somebody has no clue what censorship actually means...

Furthermore there are only 2 ways to get banned - either you cheat or somebody else has reprted you for deliberate wrecking and has brought forward obvious evidence for this claim in form of a replay or video.

If both these things didn't happen I highly doubt you got banned from official servers. I say official as there are no ranked servers right now, only servers officially hosted by S3. There was a problem with evaluation of the ranked results, so the devs took down the ranked servers and started "normal" ones instead.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. 16sth

16sth Member

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0
    It does. You need to download and run the Raceroom dash HUD. It has a heli view of the cars around and audible warnings.

15. PolarClaw

PolarClaw Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    I know that, it's BTW called webhud for people try to find a dash HUD. Also CC is helping but I think not all new racers in RaceRoom start with modding the game and are just using it. And don't forget that the webhud adds more lag and fps drops on some configurations (instantly visible in VR).
    So I think the default configuration of RaceRoom should already have a radar or arrows implemented and activated.

16. Nenah

Nenah Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    Is idling in the pits being calculated into reputation changes as well?

Most of the time I just sit in the pits during qualifying sessions to start from the back of the field to improve driving in traffic and such. I was wondering if not positioning in qualifying affects the reputation as well.

17. ravey1981

ravey1981 Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +873 / 0 / -0
    No. Qualifying does not affect anything other than start position. You can still be kicked from Q session if you accrue enough incident points in that session. Inc points are not carried forward to the next session.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  18. Nenah

Nenah Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    Thanks

19. Navigator

Navigator Member

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    Ow well, calling me out here, is something they won't do; it's just cowardly harassing me in the background.
    Banned me from online, banned me from leaderboards AND ALL my leaderboard entries are GONE!

Well, isn't that a coward move is there ever was one? Just come to me if you have something against me.
    I PAID, you cowards! Or; give me my money back and I'll delete this game, no problem at all.

But keep quite and harass me so I can't do anything, is an UTTERLY COWARD thing to do, period!

• Funny Funny x 3
  20. FeltHλt

Ratings:
    +479 / 0 / -0
    Everyone's leaderboard entries were erased thanks to the physics update. You are being paranoid

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.