Opinions wanted about RRE physics

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by jbfan, Jun 5, 2019.

1. Hervé45

Hervé45 Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +135 / 0 / -0
    FFB steer force rear grip exponent="1.0"
    Not good. 0.0 is better it's seems

2. Jukka Karppinen

Jukka Karppinen Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +137 / 0 / -0
    Been playing quite lot in a past few days. Mainly Gr 4/5, and TC classics. I can honestly say i've never been happier with physics/tyre feeling in any sim with classic cars. Plenty of road feel, slides are easily catchable (but not too easy!), once tyres are warmed properly driving is pure joy now. I think Porsche GTE is only modern car i've tried so far and it felt very good too.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Andrew_WOT1

Andrew_WOT1 New Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    What does it do, these settings are based on default SC2 Pro preset with only tweak to steer rack factor (.30 instead of .55)
    Code:
    FFB steer force rear grip exponent="1.0" // Range 0.0 to infinity, recommended: around 1.0.  Exponent applied to rear grip loss weight.
    I have tried Alex's preset, which has it set to 0 but in my opinion it's step backward, not necessarily because of this particular setting but overall feel, it feels much less alive with exaggerated understeer lightness.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2020
  4. Alex Hodgkinson

Alex Hodgkinson KW Studios Developer

Ratings:
    +1,948 / 0 / -0
    That scales force feedback force according to how much grip the rear tyres have.

It's not something which makes any sense physically.
    I think it was somebody's experiment a while ago and is definitely best to not use.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Nir Tal

Nir Tal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +53 / 0 / -0
    From your description it sounds like self-aligning-torque, isnt it ? I actually didnt ever try to change it so i dont know the real impact

6. Nenah

Nenah Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    Mhmm. And here I thought they were built to go around corners fast, instead they were built to go around corners with the rear first. Anyway this, this, this or even this (Metzgesfeld) is out of hand.

Even if the original racecars behaved like this - which I highly doubt - one should be able to counter it through setup work.

7. Arthur Spooner

Arthur Spooner Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +432 / 0 / -0
    If you have the ability to control it, it is fast. Never totally lift the throttle. Drive it a bit like a Porsche.

Edit: I didn't see anything out of the norm in one of the clips you linked. If you think this is "out of hand", I'd advise to never even try the Porsche 934... ;)

• Agree Agree x 6
    Last edited: Dec 30, 2020
  8. Alex Hodgkinson

Alex Hodgkinson KW Studios Developer

Ratings:
    +1,948 / 0 / -0
    That's one of the most common spots to have a huge accident on a Nürburgring tourist day. I wouldn't call any of those moments particularly nasty either, more playful. Avoid being totally off the throttle as you turn in and the car will stay stable.

• Informative Informative x 1
    Last edited: Dec 30, 2020
  9. FormelLMS

FormelLMS Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +229 / 0 / -0
    Whoah, they way he hold the steering wheel :shocking: :apeholdinghiseyes:

10. Enrik

Enrik Member

Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0
    This is the famous "lift off and fly". You release the throttle, the weight of the car shifts violently on the front wheels, the rear loses grip and you fly away. But in Raceroom this effect doesn't seem so pronounced to me. It probably also depends on the cars you use.

11. ravey1981

ravey1981 Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +873 / 0 / -0
    It's there's but it has been tamed somewhat with the engine braking reduction settings.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Jacob Marshall

Jacob Marshall Member

Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0
    Just jumped into the DTM 16 BMW for the first time since the update, it feels more different than I would have expected.

Unless I'm wrong the DTM16s are still on v4.0 of the tyres*, but the front-end feels like it's lost a lot of grip and the wheels are locking a lot easier than before the update; still running 45kg on the pedals (HE Sprints), the feel of the braking is different.

I'll have to re-read the update blog-posts with a closer eye, and get used to the changes but truthfully, atm it feels like the main change has been 'understeer +1' across the cars I've tried.

*I'm wrong.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2020
  13. Nico Kunze

Nico Kunze Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +396 / 0 / -0
    The 2016 dtms are on way older tires than v4.0 and there havent been any changes to them in ages.
    The understeer might come from the aero updates although i dont know a whole lot about that whole topic :D

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. ravey1981

Ratings:
    +873 / 0 / -0
    It will be the underbody aero, it's possible it's stalling and losing downforce. May need a tweak (fr3 is doing the same, that has had a fix in beta which has cured the problem). I'll add these DTMs to the list for a look over.

Edit: you can try increasing the ride height slightly to see if that helps, or stiffen the front springs.

15. Jacob Marshall

Jacob Marshall Member

Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0
    Sorry if going off-topic.
    This is looking like a good call, the loss of grip was at Eau Rough, Pouhon and the Blanchimont turn (18) into the 'chicane straight'. Raised the front by 0.5 and grip feels closer to pre-update, so you can takes theses sections at speed.

Brakes still seem to lock too easily, have had to raise the pedal to 55kg and change the balance to 53/47 to avoid lockups; they also 'seem' weaker now. Ran Spa with the racing line to see where the 'optimal line/braking zones' are; post-update this car ain't stopping at the Chicane as-per the racing line...again though, happy to concede that that may be me.

16. ravey1981

Ratings:
    +873 / 0 / -0
    I just tested the BMW16 at spa on a SP race with default setup and found no issues at all. I can easily go flat through eau rouge with it for example. tyres are heated properly. no issues with understeer and brakes aren't locking even at maximum braking. IIf you are using a custom setup it possible that it is incompatible with the latest aero/diffuser changes. Start from a default setup and see how you go.

For info this was tested in the latest beta build but its not showing any changes to those cars or aero physics from what is in the public game now. I also use sprint pedals, linear brake, 65kg

• Like Like x 1
  17. Skidmark

Skidmark Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +232 / 0 / -0
    Hi Ravey1981
    Does that mean that a fix has been made to the FR3 that is not in the public game yet but will presumably be released ‘soon’?

18. Hervé45

Hervé45 Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +135 / 0 / -0
    Yes for FR3

19. Jacob Marshall

Jacob Marshall Member

Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0
    Cheers for trying, but I'm not seeing this. Default-setup PB was 2:15.xx, and I'm all over the place hitting 2:16.50, and having to tweak the setup to get that low a time; silver linings are I'm trying the DTM20s and enjoying them more than the DTM16s.

20. ravey1981

Ratings:
    +873 / 0 / -0
    Times may be different to before the update, forget the old times, they are irrelevant.