Popularity of Raceroom

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by fufsgfen, Jan 19, 2019.

1. ravey1981

ravey1981 Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +873 / 0 / -0
    Well yeah that too......each to their own I suppose....

2. RWB Charger

RWB Charger Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +99 / 0 / -0
    Grrrr, some of the lads play this, I'm surrounded by farmers and constantly avoid tractors and 'brown ice' on the roads from them, just couldn't bring myself to play it, I did try ETS2 though, it's pretty chilled but I just floored it everywhere and I can't reverse for shit ;-)

• Funny Funny x 1
  3. fufsgfen

fufsgfen Active Member

Ratings:
    +29 / 0 / -0
    Logging is okay in farming simulator, much more fun IRL of course, but not anymore with my body. People are different, it is just great there are so many wonderful options for different tastes these days :D

4. Turtle Power

Turtle Power Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +302 / 0 / -0
    ... more like chill, enjoy the view and follow the road rules while delivering goods. There is a lot more involved but hard to explain. Some people like myself find it relaxing and immersive. You either love it or hate it. If you cant switch from super fast to super slow then don't even think about it.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Turtle Power

Turtle Power Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +302 / 0 / -0
    I am yet to try automobilista

6. ndwthx1138

ndwthx1138 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +101 / 0 / -0
    I got into sim racing because of VR. Having had a stint in real life racing 15+ years ago, and still visiting tracks for track day excursions - I found the 2D experience of sim racing poor. Even on triple screens (which I agree is better, it still never engaged me). Without stereo vision I felt like I was just memorizing something versus feeling something. This becomes particularly important when racing and being off line. Situational awareness is superior in VR and since almost all the sims (but iracing and lfs) have terrible terrible mirror implementation I can see things I could not (even in triple screen).

I bring this up because despite being in development for ages and saying it would - automobilista never saw VR.. so it's a non-title for me. Just a heads up in case you're a weirdo like me.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  7. ravey1981

Ratings:
    +873 / 0 / -0
    Yeah I'm pretty sure development has stopped on AMS now even though they just put out some new content. The physics feel great in it but it looks dated now, even next to RRE (which I still like the look of btw). I think Reiza are working on a new title and they have ported some content over to rF2. I haven't tried that though. It's only when you play a bit of other stuff you realise how bloody good raceroom is, not perfect, but very good at what it does.

• Like Like x 2
  8. ravey1981

Ratings:
    +873 / 0 / -0
    Can you employ the services of ladies of the night at truck stops?

• Funny Funny x 2
  9. Bindaree Racing

Bindaree Racing Member

Ratings:
    +22 / 0 / -0
    Comes in a DLC pack at $69

• Funny Funny x 2
  10. fufsgfen

fufsgfen Active Member

Ratings:
    +29 / 0 / -0
    You need a vacuum pump, servo, Arduino and little bit of programming magic, anything is really possible these days ;)

11. FormelLMS

FormelLMS Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +229 / 0 / -0
    I really love ETS2 and Raceroom.
    But if you like ETS2, check out OMSI. this is the real stuff!

• Like Like x 1
  12. anno900

anno900 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +47 / 0 / -0
    For me it is the same as for Turtle Power. I cannot really describe what makes ETS2 (or ATS) so "cool".
    But Raceroom is the best since years. And for me as an offline racer (no time for online competition) the last updates rocked. AI drives sometimes 3 wide into corners. They are battling with each other and with the player by respecting each other. I have played all other "a little bit older" racing sims (AC, PC1, automobilista, RF1, RF2, even turismo carretare (basically RF1 mod) and Super2000). While RF2 has great physics, it has a massive lack of original content. The newer sims like ACC, PC2 do not run on my PC, but they are not worth it for me. I started playing racing sims back at good old GP legends days and GP3/4. GP4 was also good with AI, GP legends as well with some teaks. What I still have on my PC is NR2003 (I somehow like driving oval and even watch them on youtube).
    R3E is simply by far the best since GTR2 (I had GTR1/2 and GT legends of course) for my needs. I can drive against original drivers (especially GT3, DTM, ADAC GT NMasters). And I can make customized championship (my favorite in any game but at GTR2 you needed some tools and RF1 as well, also for RF2 (even if there is a really good tool with many staticstics, of wehich R2E lakcs a bit).

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. Balrog

Balrog Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +466 / 0 / -0
    Speaking of OMSI, its successor is on the way! It's called LOTUS-Simulator. It is already available in Steam Early Access, but it aims at content creators, so maybe it's not the time to purchase it yet
    https://store.steampowered.com/app/370350/LOTUSSimulator/

• Like Like x 1
  14. FormelLMS

FormelLMS Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +229 / 0 / -0
    I really wait for the LOTUS Simulator as well, because OMSI lacks of VR. There is a workaround with VORP-X but I don't wnat to fiddle that much around and ir works quite messy.

So LOTUS will be the next on my Hard Disk.

15. Ricardo Soares

Ricardo Soares Member

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    I know this is a relatively old topic, but here's my 2 cents.

Personally, I like RR, but what I think what drives many players away is:

- Depending on the country, RR content becomes very expensive, due to currency fluctuation;
    - Few servers featuring pvp races using free content;
    - Many, if not all leagues I've seen are aimed at people who have paid content (i.e. Euro Tracks);
    - Lack of entry level competitions aimed at rookie/amateur players.

P.S.: everything listed above is NOT a complaint, but suggestions that I think it would bring more people to RR and consequently, more competitors for everybody.

Regards.

• Informative Informative x 1
  16. Goffik

Goffik Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +170 / 0 / -0
    Umm... pretty sure nearly every sim out there requires you to buy it before you can take part in any online racing or competitions. It's not specific to R3E and therefore not specifically something that would turn people away. If anything, the cost of entry is lower in R3E because you only need to buy the content required by the online races, not the whole sim.

Also, if you want to see what happens when you use free content for any kind of event, try one of the various public servers that run free or all available content. They're nothing more than demolition derbies infested with wreckers, kids and people who just want to mess about rather than invest in serious racing. No competition/league open to the masses using free content would be worth entering.

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Winner Winner x 1
  17. Ricardo Soares

Ricardo Soares Member

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    Been there, done that.

Must agree.

Regards.

18. majuh

majuh Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +257 / 0 / -0
    Most of the eSports competitions don't require you to buy any content, though.

19. J.Simonds

J.Simonds Member

Ratings:
    +18 / 0 / -0
    Does R3 do any promotional work?

As a right noob.. I bought in last May, and am now finally doing some rookie ranked.. but in N.America, they almost do not exist.. I am lucky to find anyone on the rookie servers... 'tis a sad state... R3 is the best bang for the buck in Sims.. hands down.. I understand that the iR offering is it's own unique thing, I do not understand how anyone can spend that kind of money on a game.. the hardware, yeah . some of that top end stuff is awesome and worth the $$, but to have to continue to pay out to play is not something I would entertain.

However.. FtP games have their own demons... I just uninstalled Warships after 4.5 year.. there are too many players uninterested in learning anything, so all they do is ruing battles...that effect is not as prevalent in R3, thankfully, but it is here, especially in Ranked rookies.. where some just seem to be there to spoil others... but this too will pass.. ;)

R3 could do a lot more for itself to attract a NA crowd... I hope they do.. maybe they need an envoy on this side of the pond...

• Like Like x 1
  20. Ricardo Soares

Ricardo Soares Member

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    If your connection is good, you may connect to SA servers.

I myself joined a Raceroom League (at www.srleagues.com - free subscription) called Raceroomers (Brazilian league), which is currently ongoing.

Like you, I'm also a noob when it comes to Sim racing, but so far I didn't have much progress, mostly because I don't know much about the cars and tracks, but things seem to look up.

I suggest you to give it a shot.

Regards.

• Like Like x 1