Is Raceroom just slow to load, or is there something wrong with my settings?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Blueferrari, Jan 10, 2021.

1. Blueferrari

Blueferrari Member

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0
    Hi, I noticed the load times for Raceroom is extremely slow when comparing to other sims, like AMS2, ACC, PC2, F1 2020 etc.
    I'm talking 3 times slower. Is this just the end result of the software being the antiquated DirectX 9, I believe?
    I'm using top hardware as follows:
    2080ti Graphics Card, Intel i7 9700K CPU, NVMe SSD Storage, 750w PSU.

Any thoughts appreciated.

2. David Slute

David Slute Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +81 / 0 / -0
    As in loading the game or in-game starting a session?
    Loading the game from steam is very slow and loading sessions are slowish.
    Definitely not as fast as the ones you mentioned.

3. Goffik

Goffik Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +170 / 0 / -0
    There were some server issues resulting in slow loading and even a 404 error earlier. Seems to be fine now though.

4. David Slute

Ratings:
    +81 / 0 / -0
    Decided to do a little test this morning among my most played sims.
    From the time I launch the title in steam till I get to the first screen I can do something....in raceroom that's the first flash screen that says press continue which takes you to the home screen.

i5 9600kf @ 5 ghz Win10 ultimate performance mode, all games on a 1TB NVMe SSD drive launching in steam VR

Raceroom 57 secs
    AMS2 24 secs
    ACC 23 secs bypassing intro video to home screen
    Iracing 14 secs not from steam as it uses its own launcher.

Launching a practice session 20 ai at Nurburgring gp
    Raceroom 43 secs
    AMS2 23 secs
    ACC 9 secs
    Iracing 1:49 secs

So yes, Raceroom is pretty slow compared to the newer engines.
    asides from the launching of raceroom, I've found the session loading times have slightly improved in the past few updates....maybe it's just placebo?

Last edited: Jan 10, 2021
  5. ravey1981

ravey1981 Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +873 / 0 / -0
    Raceroom is always online for various reasons and as such grabs some of the code and data it needs to run from the servers. Server load at any given time can affect loading times and these will obviously always be a bit longer than if the game were just loading from a local drive.

6. Goffik

Goffik Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +170 / 0 / -0
    That probably explains why my own loading times are nowhere near the 57 and 43 seconds experienced by David. I guess I must have a better connection to the R3E servers.

7. BTCCmad

BTCCmad Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    Ok so its not just me then. Wondered whether it was a PC thing. Didnt used to be like this, painful now at times, slow always. Game loads fine (most of time, do get error codes sometimes), its going through the menu's thats bad, particularly "single race" to "race setup" screen. Though even struggles on car setup screen too now, didnt used too. And if you want to navigate through the store through the game,...horrendous, worst of all.

Dont know whats happening, like say, never used to be like this?...could some of it be PC related....only have 8GB RAM installed which i guess might not help.

Any suggestions welcome.

Cheers.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2021
  8. David Slute

Ratings:
    +81 / 0 / -0
    I assume the main servers are based somewhere in europe?
    Would make sense than why I have longer load times connecting with euro based servers.
    My ping to RD and euro ranked servers ingame are 170-185ms
    Where as the us west is under 25ms
    A bit surprised it's not a bit quicker as I have 1Gbps dl and 100mb up fiber optic

9. Flybarless

Flybarless Member

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0
    The loading times depend on the loaded content.
    Mulitigrid servers on large Tracks load longer than an F3 Cup on a short course.
    I think this has nothing to do with server speeds.

10. mdelgadodiaz83

mdelgadodiaz83 New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I noticed that when i have a lot of replays saved the load time up exponentially. i remove several times the replays in order to cover this extra load time

11. ravey1981

Ratings:
    +873 / 0 / -0
    Doesn't really make any sense since replays aren't stored in the game files and are only loaded when you load them. But if you say so.....

12. ravey1981

Ratings:
    +873 / 0 / -0
    This is also true, but car and track info is still brought from the servers everytime

13. Maskerader

Maskerader Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +356 / 0 / -0
    It doesn't take up much bandwidth to load, at all. I took a look and it was like 60 KB/s while loading a game, about 2MB of data total; and something 20KB/s while loading a session, but also with a spike before that, again, about 2-3MB of data total for a practice with 19 AI.

My loading times on an SSD:
    - 50-55 sec to load the game;
    - 60-70 sec to load a practice on NR GP, 19 AI from GT3 which means almost every car on the grid is unique;
    - 20 sec to load a practice on NR GP, 19 AI with a car/livery identical to mine.

I think high server load can definitely slow down your loading times, but your own internet speed is very unlikely to affect it, you need to have a really, really slow connection for that. But it's still unclear to me what exactly causes the game and sessions to load significantly slower than in other games, I mean 20 seconds to load one track and one car? There's something more going on here than just loading data from the server.

However it's not an issue for me, personally.

14. Doug Spinster

Doug Spinster Member

Ratings:
    +20 / 0 / -0
    They are store on my computer, C:\Documents\My Games\SimBin\RaceRoom Racing Experience\ReplayData

15. ravey1981

Ratings:
    +873 / 0 / -0
    Exactly, they're stored in docs. Not in the game files. The data isn't loaded until you access them via the replay menu