Problem Upshifting and Suspension for FR 90 V10

Discussion in 'Community Support' started by SlowInSlowOut, Jan 11, 2021.

1. SlowInSlowOut

SlowInSlowOut New Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    At first I thought that it was far too twitchy out of hairpins, but then I discovered it was only acting like that on upshifts from first to second. The car acts like there's been a slightly mismatched downshift. Now, if that's how 90s F1 cars acted in real life, that's fine. It just seems a little odd. I can get around it by staying in second in those situations.

The other problem is track-specific. It's at Daytona. No matter how hard I set the springs and how high I raise the suspension, it keeps bottoming harder than Lindsey Graham at a bathhouse.

2. SlowInSlowOut

SlowInSlowOut New Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    I was thinking—is this just one of those cars where using the clutch manually is recommended for getting out of first?

3. BeefMcQueen

BeefMcQueen Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +183 / 0 / -0
    You usually get more trouble shifting from 2nd into 1st, than the other way around with some cars. Fr RR junior also is one of those. First gear seems just too short to be used reasonably in a race. I therefore tend to avoid shifting down to it in some cars. Instead I try to shorten the second gear if revs would be too low in tight turns (and setup options allow for that).
    I'm not sure if it's possible to keep the fr90 completely from bottoming at Daytona. Even reducing downforce wouldn't help, I guess. Ground effect and vertical forces due to the banking are just too strong. So I would avoid messing up the cars balance with too stiff springs and ridiculous ground clearance. I'd rather have a car bottoming out at some spots, going nearly in a straight line, than having it handle poorly throughout the road course part of the track.

Oli

• Informative Informative x 1