MP races (held in minutes rather than laps?)

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Haris1977, Jan 17, 2021.

1. Haris1977

Haris1977 Member

Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -0
    As the title says. I ve never understood why almost all mp races are held in minutes rather than laps (eg a 15 min race rather than 6 lap race).

Is there any logical explaination for this?

2. ravey1981

ravey1981 Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +873 / 0 / -0
    Because servers don't have a setting for laps. Only time.

3. Haris1977

Haris1977 Member

Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -0
    That s bad. I did not know it as i have not hosted a server. If this is true i hope someday the devs would remove the time option (and replace it with LAPS). Simple as this!

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  4. PanVlk

PanVlk Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +47 / 0 / -0
    I am pretty sure the duration in laps was added as an option in December update.

I have no idea why you would want the time option to be removed. Many race series in real life are based on time, rather than distance/lap count. And it also makes it easire to plan the race to take a certain amount of time, without having to test it yourself.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. ravey1981

Ratings:
    +873 / 0 / -0
    Actually you could be right there re the Dec update.

To the OP timed races will never be removed, they are a staple of many endurance races after all.

6. Haris1977

Haris1977 Member

Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -0
    Except for some endurance races (6h, 12 h and 24 h of Le Man) the majority of races are based on laps, and not time. That s why i would love to see more of them

7. ravey1981

Ratings:
    +873 / 0 / -0
    Even small scale championships like British GT are timed, blancpain (as was) is timed, IMSA is timed. In fact actually I would say the majority of races aren't on laps these days. Touring cars and single seaters tend to be but apart from those, no.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Nico Kunze

Nico Kunze Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +395 / 0 / -0
    Just to add a few more, adac gt masters, dtm, formula e, all kinds of gt4 series (for example dtm trophy, european gt4 and adac gt4), stock car brasil, wseries, f3 regional europe and many more all use time to determine the race length

• Like Like x 1
  9. Vale

Vale Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +278 / 0 / -0
    It´s good to have both options so long as it is clear before you joind and also in the pre race info screen. Would also be good to know if a room is open or fixed setup before you join.

10. rad

rad Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +458 / 0 / -0
    It is really cool small feature in AMS1, where you can set target distance for a race - so it calculates the amount of laps based on desired distance and track length. You could do that manually of course, but after all when you look at regulations of any championship that use distance-based length of race, then it uses... well distance as length of race, not fixed amount of laps. For example, if I recall correctly for F1 it's 300-350km and for TCR it's usally 50-60km

11. ravey1981

Ratings:
    +873 / 0 / -0
    What we really need is laps time and distance as options

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. Haris1977

Haris1977 Member

Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -0
    I d go one step beyond: devs could add “laps time / distance ” in specific car / track combos. Let s say for endurance cars and for bigger tracks. But for other cars (like gr2 class) and (or) smaller tracks, it d be better to only race “in laps distance” (eg 10 laps)

• Disagree Disagree x 3
  13. ravey1981

Ratings:
    +873 / 0 / -0
    Why do you want options to be limited? It makes no sense. If you set up a server you can do what you want with it.

• Agree Agree x 1