How Many AI Opponents Vs Processor/Mem/Vid ability

Discussion in 'Knowledge Base' started by J.Simonds, Jan 23, 2021.

1. J.Simonds

J.Simonds Member

Ratings:
    +18 / 0 / -0
    What I would like to see develop is a guideline scale for judging how many AI opponents should be allowed to best maintain performnce on your PC.

i5-6500/16gb/GTX1060-3gb Right now,as I am getting to know the game I have limited my AI to 6. It may be that I could easily handle more, but as I am new to the Sim, I have no idea where to start. Perhaps this thread could work as a guide in the long run to help the newer drivers setup well the first time around.

...and yes, graphics setting are going to really play into this... a lot.. so maybe the the guide also has base setting for the video as a starting point???

Thoughts?

( the term AI is too short to be a TAG word... ahem.. )

2. BeefMcQueen

BeefMcQueen Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +183 / 0 / -0
    The guideline for how many A.I. you can use should be how much FPS you are willing to sacrifice. There's also no rule of thumb for how many opponents reduce your framerate by a certain amount. That partly depends on how spread the field is throughout the track, aswell as the track itself.
    As for the impact that every graphic setting has on performance, there's a thread that might be worth looking at. It's about VR but in the first post there's a section 'graphic settings breakdown' hope that helps. https://forum.sector3studios.com/index.php?threads/vr-performance-tweaks-tips.13068/

Oli

• Informative Informative x 1
  3. ravey1981

ravey1981 Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +873 / 0 / -0
    I run on an old i5 3470/8gb/1050ti-4gb single screen, most graphics setting on high with shadows and reflections on medium. I find that the sweetspot for me is 15 AI, giving a grid of 16. Enough for a good race I find.

Edit:I lock to 60fps as that's the refresh rate of my display, game is smooth and I don't get substantial fps dips, maybe very slight (3-4fps) on lap 1 but that's it.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. MattStone

MattStone Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +169 / 0 / -0
    I7 8700 & 1080ti running triple 1080p monitors
    24 is my sweet spot
    Car reflections on low as that had the biggest cost to my FPS

• Like Like x 1
  5. R.Noctua

R.Noctua Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +99 / 0 / -0
    R2600x/RTX 2070/1440p display.

Nordschleife 24H layout - 60 AI(as I recall, maybe a little less). Stable 60 FPS.
    All max settings without mirrors. Mirrors totally kill FPS.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Badgerous

Badgerous Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +223 / 0 / -0
    I find this is slightly track dependent as well. ~18 is my sweet spot, but some tracks often require me to drop that to 16, maybe even 15. Zolder and Laguna Seca are offenders here.

The range of cars I have selected seems to have an impact at times as well, but I've not put much time into figuring out the combinations/effects there.

i7 9900/2070/Rift CV1 @ 90hz.

• Like Like x 1
  7. ravey1981

ravey1981 Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +873 / 0 / -0
    How do you race without mirrors though?? Shadows and reflections are much more expensive FPS wise. Is rather drop those and at least have mirror on low

8. R.Noctua

R.Noctua Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +99 / 0 / -0
    Radar. :) I tried all the options and only turning off the mirrors helped me.

I need the mirrors only in the multiclass and its not RRE.