Feedback on [BETA] - RANKED servers

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Stickdeath1980, Dec 18, 2019.

1. sgauge

sgauge New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Hi there, as this is my first message, I want to start with thanking the dev team for this great sim, I'm really enjoying the variety of cars and tracks and the quality of the simulation. I'm coming from ACC and I find it a very refreshing alternative.

Now, place for some ranting (and some proposals as well :) ).

As a newcomer, knowing already how ACC works and the benefits of a safety or reputation system, I find the current implement in RaceRoom on the tough side, if not a major pain...

In R3E, and as a rookie, I can only find a few ranked races, and I'm currently repeating again and again the same Suzuka short race, trying to climb the ladder to more interesting races. However I find the process tedious if not impossible, as I get randomly rammed into, share the incident points, and frequently finish in the pits with a flat tyre or a broken suspension (worth 2mn stop). On top of this, these "players" often the finish the race, and get their ranking bonus while I loose some... Well done.

Last but not least, if you are forced to quit (I encountered 2-3 times a bug leaving me in the pits without any possibility to resume or even start the race), you get a staggering 46pts penalty, which will take you 3-4 clean races to recover. Ouch...

I would like to suggest the following : Real rookies almost systematically apply the "brake late" strategy to try to catch you up. Some of them also deliberatly put you out of their way, because they are not patient enough to build a proper overtaking strategy, or sometimes because they are just pissed-off that you overtook them. It's however the interrest of the community that you learn to keep distance with the car in front, and how and when to overtake. As a consequence, and as a rookie, if you ramm into someone :
    - you get the 2 incident points (victim gets none)
    - you are penalized with a forced slow down, of say 2-3s

This would highly discourage Wreckfest players, who clean-up opposition by flipping cars at the entry of turns, or by pushing them out of their way. Currently this behaviour is not penalized enough by the system, being a victim of this gets far worse consequences in terms of reputation and ranking than you get as the offender.

Of course as you ramp-up in skill and pace, early braking should also be discouraged, but this is not the first lesson a rookie should learn, to my opinion.

If I compare to ACC, there are a lot of safe servers where you can get a good and fair fight (Porsche Cup comes to my mind), and on top of this, you can always drive against AI to earn some safety points, and learn in the process. In R3E, there are fewer options to earn reputation, and I find this quite discouraging to have to battle this way...

My 2 cents

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  2. Andi Goodwin

Andi Goodwin Moderator Beta tester

Ratings:
    +790 / 0 / -0
    We tested everyway we could to give points to the person who caused the contact , this just didnt work , many other games havoe the same system of shared responsibility , this is the best solution as it is impossible to always get it right ,,,,

Andi

3. sgauge

sgauge New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Andi, as written above, I'm certainly not advocating to put this in place for anything but for Rookie servers, where 90% of the incidents, from my experience in both ACC and R3E, come from the back due to late braking or angriness.

Anyhow, thanks for your feedback, appreciated.

Sébastien

4. Cercata

Cercata New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    The problem is that if you put something to try to guess who's fault is, once dirty drivers discover how it works, they start looking for exploits ...

In this case if you see someone is gonna overtake you, you shift your lane, collision, his fault. So "cheaters" found a way for never lose position.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2021
  5. sgauge

sgauge New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    In that scenario you would most likely fly offtrack too, and loose your position. Not a good way to "cheat", if you ask me...

6. azaris

azaris Active Member

Ratings:
    +33 / 0 / -0
    You don't know that. People keep saying everyone they run into is a wrecker/divebomber/retaliating while they themselves are always completely innocent. Inexperienced drivers miss their braking points. Inexperienced drivers lose their cool when having to race another car nearby.

If you really get so many incidents in rookie races that you literally can't get above 75 rep, you need to evaluate your own driving as well. If you brake 50 metres before the braking point, you're going to get rear-ended. If you don't give others space, they are going to slam into you.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  7. geoffers

geoffers Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +47 / 0 / -0
    Are the practice sessions on regular (not rookie) ranked servers too long & detering people from joining them?

While the rookie servers are quite often packed, most of the regular ones are empty or only get people joining them in the last few minutes of practice sessions. And of course that can only happen if someone has started the practice session running & sat through it. Personally I am reluctant to join a server & sit through the long practice session before eventually getting to qualifying & race. Would it be better & attract more users if the practice sessions were shortened to say 10 minutes?

8. Ricardo Rebelo

Ricardo Rebelo Member

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0
    I just enjoy the 20+ minutes to get in tune with the combo or maybe try final setup ideas.

9. sgauge

sgauge New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    That's precisely the point I'm proposing to mititigate, to make ranked races a better experience for newcomers. If anyone cares... Seems easier to assume you're a better driver, and that the ones making suggestion for improvement just suck ;-)

10. ravey1981

ravey1981 Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +873 / 0 / -0
    With the rolling server in rookies people will stay in the server to keep their place, especially if it's a busy time.

11. Georg Ortner

Georg Ortner KW Studios Developer

Ratings:
    +3,507 / 0 / -0
    We are aware of a dedicated server crash that occurs at the end of a session if a player left the server during the session.

While this crash is being investigated and before it's patched in, we encourage leagues and communities to inform their players of not jumping on and off servers.

We are taking down the ranked servers until a fix is deployed. Sorry about the inconvenience and thank you for your patience while we are sorting it out.

12. J-F Chardon

J-F Chardon KW Studios Developer

Ratings:
    +5,041 / 0 / -0
    Hello all, the issue is now resolved. Make sure to grab the latest dedicated server from Steam:

Update Details
    Dedi version = 71.0.1245
    Dedi BuildID = 6143373

Changelog
    - Dedicated server - Fixed crash at the end of sessions that occurred when any player had left the server during said session.

Thank you for your patience!

• Winner Winner x 1