Defending your position, what's the unwritten rule?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Scotty G, Jan 28, 2021.

1. Scotty G

Scotty G Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    How many line corrections is the acceptable amount going into a corner? I thought it was 1,

For instance:
    I am ahead, I see my rival gaining pace in my draft.
    I move my line to the inside of the corner to defend from an inside pass.
    They (should) try to fight around the outside. We jostle for position on the exit and hopefully I can stay in front.

Here is what I have experienced:
    I am behind a slower car, I have been catching them by a ~1 second a lap.
    I can see that each lap I am making my biggest gain after a long straight going into a tight corner,
    I position myself on the outside of the track, they move to defend,
    I move to the inside, they brake early and move to the inside,
    I move (swerve) back to the outside, coming up beside them, they speed up and go back to trying to defend the outside, only to run wide on the corner to drive me into the gravel/run out.
    No contact made because I have Jim calmly informing me of the whereabouts of my opponent, then scolding me for driving off the track.

If this happens in a non ranked server I would just push their inside rear corner and wait for them to flood the chat with profanity.

I am not butthurt because somebody prevented me passing. I am genuinely interested in knowing what the unwritten (or written) law is.

2. Goffik

Goffik Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +170 / 0 / -0
    Most of the time I believe the unwritten rule is as you described, one move to defend your position. If you've actively moved to block an overtake on a particular line, then that's it. You're "locked in" and cannot perform another dramatic shift in position. Moving again could be considered blocking/weaving and is dangerous and frowned upon.

If someone moves while in the braking zone then that's a VERY big no-no.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. TheOutdriver97

TheOutdriver97 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +47 / 0 / -0
    As @Goffik says, one move is the unwritten rule - many driving standards advisors in real motorsport also tend to apply this logic. It can become a grey area though when a car moves once to defend and then moves back towards the racing line.

Just because many of us drive to this rule doesn't mean everyone does, particularly in public servers. I tend to find cutting back tight inside on corner exit and getting a good exit works best to pass aggressive defenders. Their desire to move around a lot and hog the inside line on entry tends to make them prone to going deep or compromising exit.

I usually find those who keep tight parking on both entry and exit harder to pass.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Ste man

Ste man New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I agree, I've had some guys weaving in front of me knowing I'm faster. Then they move in front of you just as we enter the braking zone and you hit the back of them. Then as a childish revenge wait at the side of track for you and take you out the next lap. There should be a way of throwing drivers out who creep around the track hunting other drivers down because they're upset at being passed.

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. Doug Spinster

Doug Spinster Member

Ratings:
    +20 / 0 / -0
    SLOW CARS can/should stay on their ideal line
    FAST CARS overtake slower cars by leaving the ideal line
    All passes must be clean. It is the FASTER car’s responsibility to make a clean pass, and not force the car being passed to make an adjustment.

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. GooseCreature

GooseCreature Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +670 / 0 / -0
    Your problem is that driver attitudes to being overtaken is a minefield, from the people who slow to let you pass to the "You shall not pass", there are no rules in sim racing, if there was then the developers would come up with some way of stopping what is ruining online racing. 50/50 penalties I understand but disagree with entirely but the time it would take to come up with an infallible penalty system algorithm and then for everyone to have powerful enough CPU's to run said system just isn't going to happen. We need the ability to protest drivers so people can be temporarily banned from online racing, as iRansom does.
    I raced at Bathurst a couple day's ago, rear ended at turn 1, spun, 36 penalty points before I got going again, kept it clean and made several places back only for an asshole to re-join the track in front of me and wipe me out, disqualified yet I'd not done a single thing wrong other than wasting my time! Followed that farce with some F3 action at Portimao, rear ended at turn 4, suspension broken but the chap behind wasn't satisfied with that, he rammed me twice more then drove me off the track, well by then I'd had enough and hunted the prick down and ruined his race, as he had mine. Now I had to take things into my own hands as there is no other system for reporting assholes. Why should I be left in a heap at the side of the track and matey boy carries on enjoying himself, nah, I killed him and he sodding deserved it.
    Dev's it's about time you made some effort to sort this, if you wish for the ranked multi-player part of RR to expand, find some way of stopping 1 or 2 pricks from spoiling it for everyone.
    I presumed the idea of having a ranking is so you only race against people with a similar ranking, is that ever going to happen or is it all pie in the sky?
    Partaking in an online race should not be a lottery, it should be a race against similarly paced opposition, I have a far better chance of winning the lottery than getting 2 clean races on the trot in RR.
    Disappointed to say the least!

7. Nico Kunze

Nico Kunze Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +396 / 0 / -0
    How one complains about driving standards and at the same time acts and has an attitude like that is still beyond me tbh :D

• Like Like x 2
  8. ravey1981

ravey1981 Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +873 / 0 / -0
    You can report intentionally bad driving on discord or indeed here if you provide video evidence. Bans have been handed out already. Ps @GooseCreature the retaliation you mentioned would result in yourself getting a ban too.

There is no formal/automated protest system in place yet. Ranked is still in development.

9. GooseCreature

Ratings:
    +670 / 0 / -0
    Well if nobody is going to protect me, I will protect myself and I assure you there was no bad driving on my part. it was the perfect take down!! :D If you believe I'm the only person to have taken revenge then you're not driving in the same Sims as me, I watch it daily, on all I drive. Bloody battlefield out there. I will say some of it is just down to lack of experience but is that a good enough excuse? The difference is I will admit it when my standards drop. I watched one of the Devs racing at Watkins Glenn, they lost the rear end going round the sweeping right hander after the chicane and ploughed into the barrier on the right but instead of just sitting there until everyone had passed he just pulled back out in front of oncoming traffic, causing chaos. Is this the standard I should go by? We all make bad decisions but being intentionally taken out by an opponent means all rules are null and void as far as I'm concerned. May as well come slap me in the face in the street!
    From what? just chaos on the ranked servers most of the time because of the lack of adjudication and if RR wants me to supply video evidence then it should supply the tools for me to do so. Perhaps a button added that bundles up the last couple mins of footage and sends it directly to the steward but then, we will not get this or any other means of eradicating the urchins who linger in servers just to take people out.
    I wouldn't normally seek revenge, as life is far too short but some people just bring it on themselves. All down to intentions.
    Plus getting banned from a Sim these day's is just not a burden as there are plenty others to use, this is part of the problem, iRansom gets round this by being so extortionate you have to be well off or well pissed off to cock about but then many still do but as a percentage I'm guessing it's far less than many of the other Sims. I do watch iRCC on You tube daily, which would counter this but being banned from something that had cost me so much would defo hurt more.
    The other problem going forward is the lack of players, to have servers for all levels is gonna mean 5-7 drivers per server, so what the answer may be is a conundrum for sure, with little talk of how it is to be addressed either but then I don't believe anyone has an idea.

10. ravey1981

ravey1981 Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +873 / 0 / -0
    You can post the raw replay file. Ramming whether in the first instance or in retaliation is not tolerated. If you report offenders then they can be dealt with, otherwise they live to ram another day.
    Extra tools aren't available right now, so do as above or don't, it's your choice.

11. Nico Kunze

Nico Kunze Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +396 / 0 / -0
    How were you protecting yourself? Your race was already ruined as you said. All you did afterwards was intentionally ruin somebody elses race
    I dont believe youre the only one but in my give or take 5 years of sim racing ive only seen somebody actually wait for somebody to then crash into them once or maybe twice. If youre seeing such behaviour daily we must indeed be playing different games :D
    Something tells me you already know whether or not to take that as the standard to go by ;)
    And we do all make mistakes but theres a difference between going for a move that doesnt quite work out and intentionally waiting for other people to crash into them

12. Doug Spinster

Doug Spinster Member

Ratings:
    +20 / 0 / -0
  13. GooseCreature

Ratings:
    +670 / 0 / -0
    I know full well I lowered myself to said drivers standards, it happens as it's a flash of red mist but I certainly didn't wait for him to come back round, wouldn't work anyway due to ghosting, no I continued with my hindered through damage race but I caught back up to the perpetrator and rotated him, I believe I was doing all the other racers a service as the guy was a loose cannon, pushing his way through the field like lord muck, perhaps I have a dose of Robocop syndrome or something similar.
    You probably do use the same Sims but where as you are only driving them, I on the other hand watch vast amounts, far more than I drive as I'm disabled and can't drive anywhere as much as I'd like, I counter this with watching a lot and I see take outs by even the pro drivers, so don't make out it's some purist sport, as it is so so far from that.
    The rise in popularity of Sim racing is no doubt a contributing factor, lack of experience and just bad gaming habits, all make for a, lets say more eventful racing experience but without some sort of policing the genuine drivers will just get pushed out, literally! I am by no means singling out RR, they're all as bad as one another in this department but why, so many Devs working on Racing Sims yet not one knows how to police their own product. I presumed a ranking system would make racing fun but it appears to have done the complete opposite, just made it an over competitive shit show. It was a far better experience for pure driving before ranking came along. I'm down to 1 in 3-4 races is a race the others just shit shows, before ranking I could go weeks of great racing before I was confronted by a buffoon. Yes RR is more popular (as it should be) but the driving standards are poorer as a result, par for the course I guess but to have little or no recourse is criminal. One more point, when I was rear ended at Bathurst at T1 I gained 36 penalty points, does the system have to count every collision and off track in this situation? The biggest bug bear for me is if you have to leave the track to prevent an accident and you still get penalised, just not right and if someone is re-joining the track why penalise both drivers, bloody obvious the guy off track is in the wrong and surely the software knows whether you are on track or not. I will finish by saying I understand this is still under beta conditions but 14 months I believe it's been running, yet no change, not even any inkling to what the future may hold, just throw yourself to the Lions and be done with it and condemnation if you bite back. How about someone with some inside knowledge showering us with some information about how some of the above may be combatted and what improvements we can expect to see over the coming months.