Why does this happen to me with almost every update?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Audii-Dudii, Feb 25, 2021.

1. Audii-Dudii

Audii-Dudii New Member

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    It seems I either lose my saved car setups altogether -- for reasons I don't understand, they just disappear from the directory! -- or the saved setups remain, but many of the values they contain have been changed, such that the car behaves radically differently than it did before the update. I then have to start over and tweak the settings so the car performs the way it did before, which usually isn't as simple as entering the desired values a second (or third or fourth or ...) time because many times the new values appear to have been scaled differently, so the same numbers don't necessarily have the same effect as they did pre-update.

Annoyingly, this has happened again with last night's update. I went to bed with a car that was dialed-in so well that I was practically giddy about its performance -- even with the AI fixed at 110, I was still able to put seconds on the field over a 25-minute race -- but woke up to a car that's an absolute and utter dog. And this time, it's not just the car adjustments that were affected, but also many of the control and feedback settings, too, as I had to, for example, re-map the brake and throttle pedal, because I went to leave the pits only to discover they weren't working!

Among other things, the throttle response has gone completely wonky and the revs drop so slowly (even using the default setup) that I end up understeering off-course half way through turns because I simply can't back off the gas enough to set the front end at corner entrance.

Yet, when I look at the changelog, this is the only change that's announced: "Audi TT cup - Dampers tuned to improve handling over bumps"

I know this is only a game and I should consider myself very lucky if this is the biggest issue I have to deal with today, but in case my words and tone above don't make clear the extent of my frustration, I find this to be a very frustrating experience.

I'm also puzzled by why (so far as I can tell) no one else is experiencing this. Or if they are experiencing it, why they are remaining silent about it, because my searching the posts here looking for possible solutions come up empty. Surely, I am not the only one to whom this happens ... or if I am, then WTF am I doing wrong?!

Of course, just to state the obvious, part of the reason why I find this to be so frustrating is because I otherwise enjoy very much racing in Raceroom. I don't have a lot of experience with other software, so I can't compare it directly to the other racing sims, but overall, it's the one I keep coming back to, day in and day out.

I have been patient to date, but if I have to keep starting over every few weeks or months (because whatever is going on doesn't happen with every update), I fear I may have to look elsewhere for my sim-racing fun. :(

• Like Like x 1
  2. Andi Goodwin

Andi Goodwin Moderator Beta tester

Ratings:
    +791 / 0 / -0
    If a car gets a physics /tyre update then old setups will be wrong , so the cars will be driving erratically , whenever there is an update , check the change log and if its a car you use restart from the new default setup and build from there

Andi

3. Audii-Dudii

Audii-Dudii New Member

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    I understand that, but assumed that tuning the dampers was merely an adjustment, not a physics revamp. And that doesn't explain why some of my control / FFB settings and button mappings changed as well and why some, but not all, of my setups for each car were deleted from the directory instead of all of them, as they are typically identical save for slightly different variations of the same parameters for different tracks (so, in theory, all of them should be deleted or none of them should be deleted.)

<scratches head>

Mind you, I'm all for progress and improving the sim's realism / performance, but it sure does suck to have the time and effort I've spent getting everything setup just so, only to have to start over more or less from scratch after most updates. To be honest, when this happened last fall, the task of rebuilding my setups was so daunting -- I can't recall exactly how many setups I lost, but it had to be at least two dozen -- I simply gave up and stopped racing for several weeks. And when I started again a few weeks ago, I limited myself to driving only a couple of cars and tracks, so if this ever happened again, I wouldn't find myself in the same situation and yet here I am...

<sigh>

Anyway, thanks for responding and clarifying (well, sort of) this for me! :confused:

4. azaris

azaris Active Member

Ratings:
    +33 / 0 / -0
    No setups should vanish just because an update was deployed. My old FR90 setups are still there even after a physics update. Can your old setups be found in My Documents/My Games/SimBin/RaceRoom Racing Experience/UserData/CarSetups? Seems like you R3E profile might be stored in a volatile place.

5. Audii-Dudii

Audii-Dudii New Member

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    Yes, that's where they are -- or in this case, were -- stored.

To be fair, though, I do seem to have a funky installation, with some files not being located where I'm told they should be. I've never knowingly done anything to cause this (and just in case I did so accidentally or unintentionally, I deleted and reinstalled the program last year, just to rule this out as a factor) yet here I am.

As a related aside, I've also noticed that with my installation, sometimes -- but not always -- when I change a setup and save it with a new name so it doesn't overwrite the original setup, it does so regardless or occasionally, the next time I go to load a setup, it has deleted the original setup.

All of which strikes me as very strange, but except for these glitches, the game appears to run just fine. <shrug>

6. Andi Goodwin

Andi Goodwin Moderator Beta tester

Ratings:
    +791 / 0 / -0
    Are you by any chance using one drive

Andi

7. Audii-Dudii

Audii-Dudii New Member

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    I have in the past, but not on the computer I'm using now.