Ideal AI Settings?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Smiley, Mar 3, 2021.

1. Smiley

Smiley New Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Just wanted to see what kind of AI setups everyone was running here and what they found to be the most fun.

I am trying to find the ideal balance of AI difficulty and aggression settings so that the race is both competitive (racing hard and aggressive and not always sticking to the racing line), but at the same time, not dumping into grass and walls.

2. anno900

anno900 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +47 / 0 / -0
    Where to set aggression for AI? Did I miss something?

3. Paul Darke

Paul Darke Moderator Beta tester

Ratings:
    +249 / 0 / -0
    No, there is no separate aggression setting.

4. Smiley

Smiley New Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    oops, my bad. For some reason, I must have had RF2 on the brain. Apologies. Do you all use the adaptive AI setting, or do you find it better to use a static difficulty?

5. Maskerader

Maskerader Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +355 / 0 / -0
    I use static. I don't do many races, so manually picking AI level is fine for me. It also gives me more control over where I want to be in the pack.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  6. MattStone

MattStone Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +169 / 0 / -0
    I use adaptive; keeps me on my toes!

• Like Like x 1
  7. R.Noctua

R.Noctua Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +99 / 0 / -0
    I use a static setting, but different for all classes.

• Like Like x 1
  8. anno900

Ratings:
    +47 / 0 / -0
    I also use different AI level for offline championship. I have made a table to see what the "perfect" level for me is for which class. I can upload that table when I'm on my local PC again if anyone wants to see it. I drive only these classes and most fun for me is battle for wins/podium or at least top5.
    DTM92 at 96% (without driving aids)
    Porsche Carrera Germany at 99%
    GT3 at 98% (without driving aids)
    GT4 at 102% (without driving aids)
    Cayman Trophy need to test but I assume as GT4
    WTCC 105% my current championship but I'm slightly too fast
    WTCR 102%
    So only classes, where I can drive against "real driver names" ;-)
    I have made a test to find out if the AI level works for me across all tracks (one layout per track, mainly grand prix layout). So I started championships with about 5-8 rounds going through all of the tracks in alphanumeric order (except for Macau, Nordschleife and some of those small Swedish tracks).
    What was really suprising (and I can only say "good work S3"). At each track with each of the combinations of class, that I ran, I could drive at about the same postion in race. There were only 2 tracks, where I was slower than AI. Bathurst (I was just a little bit slower in comparance to the other track, so I ran in the last 1/3 of the pack, whereas on the other tracks in that championship I could run mid-front pack). Bathurst is quite tricky to drive especially on top the mountain it feels like a street circuit where there is only one racing line which you need to hit perfectly.
    Other track was Salzburgring, where I was always much too slow whenever I raced it in the years before. I'm somehow not able to drive good through those two banked right handers, so the corner before long back straight and Fahrerlagerkurve. And with Porsche Carrera at Daytona, the AI was much faster on the full throttle sectors (max speed of them was about 5-10 kph faster (I use default setup)).

So my concluson is: Tracks are really good balanced when you drive against AI.
    The AI level has a quite big spread for me. It seems that I'm better at easier to handle cars (but who isn't). nd that is for me the reason that the AAI system does not work (for me).

Racing against the AI is really much fun. I cannot say it enough. There were only about 2-4 races where uddenly one AI driver was 2-3 seconds faster per lap than anyone else.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  9. Maskerader

Maskerader Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +355 / 0 / -0
    Someone correct me if I'm wrong. I assume AAI is based on class/track combinations, so it should decrease and increase AI skill according to your speed in those classes.

10. anno900

Ratings:
    +47 / 0 / -0
    As far as I know from reading here (mainly form the commets from one member, who did quite a lot testing with AAI). If there isn't any entry in your AIAdotion file for the car/track combo you run on, then the game takes an average from the class (if you ran that class before on a different track) or an average of the track (no matter what class you ran). So you need to run everything somehow double so that you might get a decent difficult level. Who has time for that for about 100+ track layouts and 40+ classes..... And if AI adapts, then to where? That you run mid pack? That was my impression. And adopting downwards not works at all as I posted somewhere else. I did some championships with 6 rounds, running each track twice and in 2nd round of that track nothing was adapted. I remember GT3 at Aragon where I was 21st out of 24 starters and in 2nd race exactly the same.
    + with my indiidual spread (from 96% - about 105%) who should AAI work then. If you always run same class and mostly the same tracks, then it might work perfectly if you want to run mid pack.
    Anyway. For me AAI does not work and from what I have learnt here it cannot work if you run too many different car/track combos. But programming such an AAI adoption propperly with so many parameters to take care of... seems hard or even not doable. Nascar 2003 adaptive AI work good but you just had one class and only about 15 tracks with nearly same layout ;-)

• Informative Informative x 1
  11. Audii-Dudii

Audii-Dudii New Member

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    Obviously, the AI setting one chooses takes into account their skill, so no one setting will ever be optimal for everyone. For the cars and tracks I race, I typically start at 105 and then increase it when I start to win too often, which means I eventually settle in between 110 - 115 after a week or two. (I've used Adaptive AI in the past, but it's designed to keep one buried in mid-pack, so after I run away with the first few races -- which isn't much fun -- I end up trailing the field for a few more races -- which is also not much fun -- only to eventually find myself racing for 7th through 12th place, which -- you guessed it! -- isn't much fun, either. For me, the perfect AI setting will result in me racing consistently in the top five, with enough competition to keep things interesting. I don't need to win all the time, but it's fun to win occasionally, which rarely happens once AI has made up its mind about my performance ... sigh.)

• Agree Agree x 4
  12. anno900

Ratings:
    +47 / 0 / -0
    Fully agree. Since I do simracing since gplegends and since I just have about 2 times a week time to do one 15 Minute race with short quali, I do not get much faster. Only at tracks, which I do not know and when I switch cars, then first 1 or 2 races are required to get to my normal speed. So my AI settings won't need too many adjustments.

13. Petty Andretti

Petty Andretti New Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    I've not done any sim racing for the last couple of years so for me it's deja vu all over again; I'm not very good but AAI too easy and it's difficult to find a hard setting, depending on the track & cars.
    Plus I just upgraded my wheel big time: was using the original ancient Momo and just purchased the G923.
    But at first, my new toy gave me overconfidence thinking I could handle sims like RRE, ACC, & Automobilista 2 with the ability of a modern day Jim Clarke. Didn't take long to realize I'm driving more like Petula Clark. I only get time to race on weekends so that doesn't help either.

• Funny Funny x 1
    Last edited: Mar 3, 2021
  14. Hendrick

Hendrick Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +64 / 0 / -0
    Static AI for different classes. Once you have that figured out you will enjoy the game. Adaptive AI sounds good but I never got a good balance of performance despite all the tips given to train the AI.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. Smiley

Smiley New Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    It sounds like we both drive a lot of the same classes! I think it would be awesome if you could share that table with your findings here on the forums. I'd love to give em a whirl on my end and see how it changes the experience!

16. anno900

Ratings:
    +47 / 0 / -0
    attached the file.
    should be quite self explaing.
    On top the scale from too fast - too slow.
    Next the levels which I will run next for a championship or at which I currently run.
    The table shows the track and which class I ran at which AI level

Attached Files:

• Informative Informative x 2
  17. anno900

Ratings:
    +47 / 0 / -0
    I rstartet wtcc15 on 109% and could run top 3. Just a short update