Problem Getting terrible Vr performance

Discussion in 'Community Support' started by thetriggerfinger999, Mar 11, 2021.

1. thetriggerfinger999

thetriggerfinger999 New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Specs: 5700xt
    ryzen 5 3600
    ddr4 3200 ram

I have tried everything to get ths game running smooth in vr, but its like a slideshow. What ive tried: 1: verified game files 2: tried open compisite( wouldnt even launch), 3: re-installed rift s and gpu drivers using ddu. 4: Ran with everything on low and no ai on track. 5:Changed steam-vr smoothing.

Even without ai on track i get constant stutters and its very uncomfortable to play, yet ams2,assetto corsa and dirt 2.0 run lovely for me. This is one of my favourite sims and i really want to get it working, any tips?

2. BeefMcQueen

BeefMcQueen Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +183 / 0 / -0
  3. ✠UK_SPAWN✠

✠UK_SPAWN✠ Member

Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0
    narrow down the cause of the problem using monitoring software.

Is it CPU, GPU, Memory, HDD related.

If none of them could be windows/ configuration related (like background processes etc)

4. thetriggerfinger999

thetriggerfinger999 New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Its only this game that has performance like this though, so Im prity sure its something to do with the game itself.

5. ✠UK_SPAWN✠

✠UK_SPAWN✠ Member

Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0
    others are able to run it in VR just 'fine' though. if it was a problem with the game im sure everyone would have the same issue?

So something about your setup, or your setup interaction with this game is where i would start looking. as the game its self is not something you can investigate.

Whats the CPU core usage when playing in VR, does any 1 core get overutilised? does this coincide with the stutters/reduced performance?

Is the system memory full? hence is it reading from a slow HDD that wil lcause hitching?

Is the GPU overheating or CPU thermal throttle.

Do you limit the FPS as running uncapped FPS will create very noticable stuttering and changes in FPS compared to simply limiting the FPS to the lower end of what you see. if you see a range of 200+ FPS all the way down to 80, then you will notice a huge stuttering and terrible feeling. but if you limit the FPS to 90 or 70 or whatever, then you will never notice the change from 90 to 80 or if limited to 60-70 there will be no change. something to consider.

and lastly something about hardware configuration / driver / windows and thats a deep rabbit hole.

6. PolarClaw

PolarClaw Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    In VR there is no unlimited FPS. The FPS is maxed at the HMD frame limit and if it falls too low it's limited to half of the HMDs frame limit.

The game itself is mostly the culprit o_O To be honest there are so much possibilities that something isn't performing as it should. The linked information thread also helps.

Some people have had problems with monitoring SW like Afterburner and need to remove it from their system, even if I had never problems with it and I'm using it always (alternative fan curve).

BTW: You should add what HW and HMD you are using, etc.