Jump start protection - How to know if it's enabled on a server?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Lixma, Mar 21, 2021.

1. Lixma

Lixma Honorary QA

Ratings:
    +174 / 0 / -0
    I ruined a race earlier today not realising jump-start protection was switched off.

I can't see anything on the server list/info that mentions whether it's on or off.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Goffik

Goffik Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +170 / 0 / -0
    The simplest solution is to act as if jump starts are enabled, whether they are or not. Being good at race starts should not depend on whether this "cheat" option is active. If you're genuinely good at starts then it won't matter either way.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. V10_Dog

V10_Dog Member

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    Wait, is that why i always get my ass kicked in ranked at the start? Usually I´m a very good starter, but in R3E i always lose some positions. Can you explain this "feature" more?

4. Maskerader

Maskerader Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +360 / 0 / -0
    That's not a solution, that's a band-aid. The rules of racing should be clearly stated, you shouldn't be expected to guess if something's on or off.

5. Nico Kunze

Nico Kunze Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +397 / 0 / -0
    Ill agree that its the simplest and in terms of realism best option however it will cost you time if you do it and others dont. Having a reaction time of say 0.2 seconds simply is slower than having one of 0.00s and thats a big enough difference to cost you a win in a worst case situation so as long as both options are available in multiplayer itd be good to know which one is used on the server youre racing on

It could be a reason. Until a couple updates ago false starts werent possible in multiplayer and you could just put the car in first gear and hit the throttle before the lights went out. Now false starts are possible in multiplayer however the server admin can choose whether they want to make use of that possibility. On ranked servers you can still select first and hit the throttle before the lights go out without getting a false start as far as i know but theres no guarantee itll stay that way

• Informative Informative x 1
  6. Lixma

Lixma Honorary QA

Ratings:
    +174 / 0 / -0
    It's only a solution if everyone else is on the same page.

Regardless of how you feel about jump-start protection (I don't like it either), if a server has it enabled it is safest for everyone if all drivers utilise it. I've seen so much grid carnage caused by well-meaning manual starters getting rear-ended because no matter how good they are they can't compete with somebody riding the jump protection.

At the moment there are two types of servers - one with jump-start protection, one without - and no reliable way to determine which is which.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. V10_Dog

V10_Dog Member

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    But i think the implementation is really bad. Why don´t they give the players where a throttle response was detected before the start a short delay of maybe 0.4s or a small time penalty? But it´s no fun racing in ranked when you always got completely embarrassed at the line through no fault of your own

8. blgk

blgk Member

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0
  9. Robert Wiesenmüller

Robert Wiesenmüller Esports / Events

Ratings:
    +1,133 / 0 / -0
    On ranked servers, jump starts are not possible, for exactly this reason that you can't tell if they are on or not.

10. Vale

Vale Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +284 / 0 / -0
    Jump start on/off should be in the UI menu for the server in the lobby, same as open/fixed setup rolling/standing start and race duration in minutes or laps. These are basic racing elements just as important as damage /tc/abs / other penalites etc etc.
    I know that these are recently impemented featues but the UI is lagging behind right now and you have no way of knowing in advance about these features.

• Agree Agree x 1
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2021