Ranked servers for beginners

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by kotten33, Mar 21, 2021.

1. kotten33

kotten33 New Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    This subject has problably discussed many times but i can find the corerct answer now

I have raced some race now and most of the time i come in the end of all drivers. This is not so fun so i want to race against drivers with the same skill as i. I cant really find how to do that.

I dont have any ranking today, so i must start from the beginning.

Some thing that i dont like and what i have seen many times now, it is that drivers that not fullfill the race, the quit from it and suddenly there might just be 7-8 cars left and it was 32 from the beginning. I want to race there all drivers do all the laps.

I have purschades the premium package so i have everything.

• Like Like x 1
  2. J.Simonds

J.Simonds Member

Ratings:
    +18 / 0 / -0
    What servers do you use? The new driver experience is.. stressful and presents quite a challenge.

3. Maskerader

Maskerader Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +355 / 0 / -0
    I don't think there's enough players in the game to start dividing them like that on a regular basis. And also I doubt you can, uhm, motivate beginner drivers to stay for the whole duration of the race when something in their race goes wrong. I mean, if you spun out early in the race and lost 10+ seconds and a lot of positions, maybe even ended up dead last, there's not much fun left anymore...

But if there are ways to improve their gaming experience, I believe it might benefit the game.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2021
  4. kotten33

kotten33 New Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    at the moment i dont use any servers but i want to

5. Goffik

Goffik Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +170 / 0 / -0
    No offence, but if you don't like coming last then you need to get better, simple as that. The reason you're coming last isn't because people are too good, it's because you're not good enough. It isn't up to the world to come down to your level and make you feel better, it's up to you to put in the time and effort required to improve your own skill, just like the rest of us.

Sorry if my words offend you, but I'm getting tired of people who can't be bothered to learn expecting everything to be made easier for them. It's ridiculous. Being good at something takes time, effort and hours of practice. It's a fact of life that does not only apply to sim-racing, and people need to wake up to that fact and deal with it.

(For reference, this is coming from someone who is a mid-pack driver because even I can't be bothered to put in the practice required to be at the front of the pack.)

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  6. kotten33

kotten33 New Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Its okey that you say your opinion, but this answer from you was not so much of a answer of my real question.

My question was IF there is ranked server with lower standard that you can particiape in and i was not expecting really to hear that i am to bad in racing and i have to practice more. I will practice more of course, but it would have been nice to to that with other drivers with the same standards.

And sorry, no offence to you back, but if you cant answer my post question, why dont you just ignore this and go on!
    This kind of answer will only make me sad and i think you already know that before you posting it.

7. Luis Eduardo

Luis Eduardo Member

Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0
    The solution to your problem is to try to improve your reputation statistics to be able to run in high level races, because on these servers the accidents are less constant and most stay until the end of the race!

• Like Like x 2
  8. azaris

azaris Active Member

Ratings:
    +33 / 0 / -0
    In theory, driver skill is normally distributed amongst the player base. The problem is that the bottom 25% or so don't race online, so most people in a given lobby will be faster than the average sim racer. Online lobbies where everyone is at a beginner level don't really exist in my experience. That can make it daunting at first.

My advice is to pick a combo that you are comfortable with for the week and stick to it. Practice with some short AI races and maybe chase a leaderboard ghost around until you get within 2-3 seconds from the top times in a ranked lobby. Anyone can achieve that level. That will qualify you somewhere in P15-20 in a full lobby, which should give you someone to race against and not leave you trailing everyone. If people behind you quit, just treat it as an opportunity to get more practice on that particular car-track combo, take the free rep bonus, and try again in the next race.

• Like Like x 5
  9. 16sth

16sth Member

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0
    I used to be 'one of them'. Every time someone joined a race I would quit. But I eventually joined in and now thoroughly enjoy it, even if I come last. Don't worry about the quitters. If they do it in a race, you will probably gain ranking points. You can have good races with only a few people.
    One of my first races I was fourth. 1st and 2nd were dicing and had way high ranking. They took each other out and I finished second and bagged a pile of ranking points. This weekend I had my arse handed to me by two players who had much lower ranking then I did. Get your reputation up by running clean races and you can enter higher rep races usually with more players who don't quit.

• Like Like x 2
  10. Chris Perry

Chris Perry New Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    I've been playing for about 3 months now, I was 'that guy' who was at the back too.
    The best way to learn is to see what the ranked servers are running that week and pick a race that you would like to do, let's say it's GT3s at Suzuka (That's one of the races from this week's ranked servers)
    Go on to single player then select leaderboards and select GT3s at Suzuka, pick a time that is close to the bottom and click challenge. You will then race that guys ghost.
    As you get better you will move up the leader board and that will teach you how to drive better.
    As the others have stated PRACTICE is the only way to get better and then you will be having more races with ppl at your level

• Like Like x 2
  11. Maskerader

Ratings:
    +355 / 0 / -0
    If you're a guy from the back, I'd advise against using any bottom or even mid-pack times, you don't want to learn their mistakes as if it's a good way to drive. Pick a fast guy and use his racing line. You won't see his ghost car for the most of the lap, of course, but there's a lot you can learn from the racing line alone.

12. geoffers

geoffers Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +47 / 0 / -0
    I disagree, if you do that the fast guy gets so far ahead that you lose sight of him/her & learn nothing. I think it is best to do a few laps to find out what sort of laptime you can achieve then do a challenge against someone a second or two faster to see where you are losing time then try to improve in those sections.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Chris Perry

Chris Perry New Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    I agree, picking someone in the top 10 isn't going to teach you anything as you won't see their lines, picking someone 2 seconds ahead is perfect imo.
    Obviously I didn't mean pick someone rock bottom who's 8 seconds off the pace lol.

14. Andi Goodwin

Andi Goodwin Moderator Beta tester

Ratings:
    +791 / 0 / -0
    Maybe its been removed but if you challenge even the fastest guy the racing line and brake points are shown ?

Andi

15. Maskerader

Ratings:
    +355 / 0 / -0
    @geoffers @Chris Perry
    I acknowledged you won't see their ghost car, but I'm talking about a racing line:
    That thing here:
    racing-line-leaderboards.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  16. Chris Perry

Chris Perry New Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Fair point mate, I'd forgotten you could do that . Ignore my previous advice

17. geoffers

geoffers Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +47 / 0 / -0
    Yeh, I forgot about that too, maybe because I never use it.

18. nickh158

nickh158 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +69 / 0 / -0
    I`ve made similar comments myself. I`m no beginner, but I am very slow mainly due to age I suspect, and have reached the peak of my skillset.
    The `rookie` servers seem to consist of two types of drivers: fast non-rookies, and slower drivers that the servers are meant for.
    I would like to see a maximum rank of, say 1550 in those servers. All genuine `rookies` will be below this, as will slow drivers like me (I`m around 1450).
    If you can set a minimum rank, then why not a maximum?

• Agree Agree x 2
  19. CheerfullyInsane

CheerfullyInsane Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +402 / 0 / -0
    Well, 'Rookie' servers is something of a misnomer. A better name would be 'unranked' servers.
    And I delve into them as well from time to time, mainly because I enjoy the slower cars that they usually feature.

But setting an upper limit on them would lead to a catch-22. What happens if I get involved in a massive crash, and my Rep dives below 75?
    Rep would then be too low to join the 'normal' servers, and my rating would be too high for the Rookie servers.
    So do I just give up on Raceroom?

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. Chris Perry

Chris Perry New Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    That's a great point actually. You would be in a bit of a black hole with no way to rebuild up your rep.
    I do sympathise with Nickh158's point but
    I think the idea of putting an upper limit on the Rookie servers would cause more problems than it would solve.
    I normally hover around 1650-1750 but I love driving the silhouette series cars or the Audi Cups etc, so if you put an upper limit on the rookie classes then that's taking away from me and others some races we enjoy doing which is a bit unfair.
    Surely the whole point of 'ranked' servers are for people to gain experience and points/reputation in slower class vehicles which once mastered alows for your rep and rating to go up as your finish positions and clean laps improve, which then opens up non-rookie servers so you can expand your racing to faster and more diverse cars and races.
    That shouldn't mean you have to then leave the lower powered cars in the rookies altogether.
    I think if I was in a position like Nickh158 and I thought I'd found my level and had no real desire or maybe skill to get further in the ratings, I'd look to do non-ranked racing as there are lots of servers offering up lots of different races.
    Or just use the rookie servers as you do now and enjoy the racing for what it is.
    The other option is to run your own lobby and put those restrictions in place so you only get to race with like minded people of the same skill level which I agree would be more fun for you mate.

• Agree Agree x 1
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2021