HUD OtterHud - A custom WebHud - With additional features

Discussion in 'Community Workshop' started by OtterNas3, May 7, 2019.

1. Collywobbles

Collywobbles Member

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0
    Fantastic add-on. Really improves the HUD view in VR. Thanks!

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. ocbcartonblinde

ocbcartonblinde New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hi all, i just installed otterhud but it that i have no return on some data.
    My red light still on screen even if i am on practise, the wheel and brake not work, my radar still visible even if no car next to me and the critical my gearbox info not updated... Have any idea to resolve my issue ?
    I precise that i used the default webhud from sector3 before and all work fine. Also crewchied is responsible to launch the dash.exe.

Thx by advance and have fun on track !

3. Nico Kunze

Nico Kunze Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +395 / 0 / -0
    Very much sounds like you have show all enabled. Thatll show all the widgets and fill them with fake data just so you can see how they would all look and so you can position and resize them to your liking more easily. If you turn that off you should be fine again

4. OtterNas3

OtterNas3 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +315 / 0 / -0
    [​IMG]

5. ravey1981

ravey1981 Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +873 / 0 / -0
    Just wanted to say thanks for your brilliant app. It's used by loads of raceroomers now. Any plans to update it to include ranked information etc?

6. Comfy Len

Comfy Len New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hi! Thank you for your wonderful app, it really makes a huge difference!

I just wanted to ask if this was a known issue, couldn't find anything online about it, but it seems otterhud is missing data about new cars

For example. The new VW Scirocco is missing from here, but the older cars like the Ford GT and Mustang show fine

Thank you again!

Last edited: Jul 19, 2021
  7. Goffik

Goffik Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +170 / 0 / -0
    I'm curious, what use is this information in a HUD? HUDs are supposed to be for real-time info to aid what you're doing, so adding ranking seems a bit of a waste of time to me.

8. ravey1981

Ratings:
    +873 / 0 / -0
    If I can see the rank of the player ahead or behind it gives me a good indication of whether it's worth fighting them or not. I already use it on second monitor but having it in the relative box would be better. Also could keep track of Inc points rather than relying on the popup.

The beauty of webhud and in particular otterhud is you can choose which data you want to see and where. There's no disadvantage to having such things available even if you choose to have them turned off.

• Like Like x 1
  9. erke_ms

erke_ms New Member

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    I think showing the current incident points, and also the incident limit of the race, could be very interesting and appreciated.

Thank you for your great work!!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. OtterNas3

Ratings:
    +315 / 0 / -0
    This would only be useful for Ranked Servers in my opinion, as on a normal Server, 90% of the Drivers are not even in the Ranked list yet, you only appear in the list if you completed at least 1 Race.
    So showing something like "Strength of Field" would basically be impossible due to lacking Data.
    There is no way at the moment to detect if the current Server is a Ranked Race or not.
    Also, in a Race Session it is okay to pull the Data, as the amount of Drivers does not go up, so you would not need to fetch the Data again, but in a Practice/Qualy Session this is different.
    Fetching the Data and look for the current Drivers in a 23K long list is kinda high on the performance.
    Problem here is, holding that Data in the memory would be to demanding on the Performance of the HUD.
    And as i mentioned already, the HUD lives in memory only, so there is no possibility to save the Data in a local File of the User, there is just no access to local files for a WebApp.
    I'm still looking into it, if i can find a good way to do it, but i would rather wait until the Ranking Data is provided in the API for each Driver, would make it so much easier and less costly for performance.

This will be adressed in the next update, sorry i can not update it per hotfix for the current, as i lost the source files for version 1.17

This will be implemented in the next version!

Small preview of the new version
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

A short "sorry" and "seriously?" note
    Sorry:
    For not updating the HUD frequently in the past Month for new content in the Game.

For not responding much in the Forum to your questions (Thanks to @Goffik for all your effort regarding this topic!)
    You can be sure that i was reading all the comments, and taken notes of requested features and reports of bugs!
    As i am not Driving actively at the moment, i was missing a lot of the new Content, and the interest of buying without using it was pretty low. So i was not able to get the needed Data to make a update for the new Content.
    Lately @J-F Chardon provided me access to the missing Content, so i can implement it now.

Be aware that making the updates for the Corner-Names is a lot of effort, and it is 60% done now for the missing Tracks.
    Still alot of Tracks/Layouts to do.

Seriously?:
    Please dont take the following to Personal if you feel addressed!

I have a Real-Life!
    I have a Fulltime Job!
    I have other Hobbys i want to fullfill in my free time!
    ! This HUD is made only by me and it is FREE to use for everyone !

And as some feature requests are a good idea, theyre benefit is sometimes so little, compared to the work needed, it would just not worth the time/effort it takes.
    I'm not a programmer at all, and need to lookup everything needed again and again.

Many people seem to think "Ah this could not take long to do, what's the problem?"
    If your interested: I'm working on the new update since early February, this time i started a Timer, while working on the HUD.
    Until now, the timer shows: 143 Hours 39 Minutes
    And it will be alot higher once it is done.
    Some people dont even work that much in this timespan, and get paid for it!

As i said, dont take this to personal please, i enjoy working on the HUD, as i find myself challenged to make something work while gathering the Knowledge on the fly.
    And the HUD will remain FREE for everyone, i will never charge a cent for it!

So, even if i am not responding all the time, be sure i read the suggestions/comments!
    So if you have a idea for something that is missing, keep the suggestions coming!

Yours sincerly,
    Otter

• Like Like x 8
    • Winner Winner x 3
    • Love it! Love it! x 2
  11. ravey1981

Ratings:
    +873 / 0 / -0
    Firstly, thanks for the update. Re the ranked data, I'm not sure how they are doing it but second monitor and crew chief are already using this information. Not sure how or if the same method of harvesting it would work for you but I guess those guys would be happy to point you in the right direction should you choose to go down that route.

12. OtterNas3

Ratings:
    +315 / 0 / -0
    It is not the howto of getting the data, it's a easy fetch, but the lack of "holding" the data.
    Second Monitor and Crew Chief are both Applications that can create/write/read files for holding/using data.
    On a WebApp like the HUD, if you press ESC to return to Menu/Pit in R3E, all Data lost, as it only lifes in Memory, and the WebFrame it runs in, gets closed if your not in the Car. Even press ESC to pause the game in Singleplayer, shuts it down completely.
    So it has to create all the data from scratch again, means, i not only have load a file and scrub trough the 23K Rating listing to find each Driver on the Server. I first have to get (fetch) that file everytime the HUD "appears" on your screen, and also when the amount of Drivers goes up, to maybe find the new Driver in the list again.
    I cant hold the 23K Rating Data list in the Memory, as the Array it lives in is just way too heavy and would suck every lifetime of performance out of the HUD :)

If the user has a really bad internet line, fetching that Ranking file could rise the ping whenever the file gets downloaded for comparison, this could result in a kick from the Server in worst case.

I'm pretty sure that Second Monitor/CrewChief and others cache that to a local file, and only update it once in a while/on startup

As said, if i find a way to do it in a Non-Performance killing way, yes it could be implemented.
    If not, i'm sorry, but i rather not have that feature, instead of having a HUD packed of All-You-Can-Possibly-Want features, that runs like Unicorn Poo.

Moo,
    Otter

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. ravey1981

Ratings:
    +873 / 0 / -0
    Yeah that's a fair point. I have no idea how all this works to be honest, I'm just grateful that people like you can create these apps to make our game better.

14. Blanes

Blanes Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +188 / 0 / -0
    Great app thanks Otto & S3 !

Is there a commandline parameter for dash.exe so it opens and runs in the background without creating a command window on the desktop ?

Last edited: Apr 2, 2021
  15. OtterNas3

Ratings:
    +315 / 0 / -0
    The dash.exe can be run from any location on any Harddrive, in the same Computer.
    You need to manually start it by double click.
    Leave it open and then start the Game.

For the dash.exe? No there are no parameters.

You only need to set the paramter in the Steam Library --> game properties --> launch options
    Everything is explained under the "How to use it?" spoiler in the first post of this Thread

• Useful Useful x 1
  16. Blanes

Blanes Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +188 / 0 / -0
    Yeah thanks mate, I missed the bit about the commandline in launch, went back and read the Github wiki.
    Cheers and really useful app for sure !

One thing I miss is that I had the FFB multiplier mapped to one of my wheel buttons and when I adjusted it + / - I got a message on the screen telling me the new setting. That is no longer showing - anyway to re-enable just that ?

17. majuh

majuh Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +257 / 0 / -0
    Set the ingame overlays at least to "Essential Only".

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. OtterNas3

Ratings:
    +315 / 0 / -0
    What ^ he said

• Like Like x 1
  19. Blanes

Blanes Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +188 / 0 / -0
    Roger that ... Thanks !

20. Miklos21

Miklos21 New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hello! I tried to find that fuel widget after I started using the plugin but I can't. Even if I turn all of them on, it's not appearing. What could I do?