Problem High frame time with CPU

Discussion in 'Community Support' started by neil, Apr 18, 2021.

1. neil

neil Member

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0
    I'm running the game in VR I have a 3090 & 5800x
    I'm running FPSVR app & the CPU frame time is through the roof & causing major stutters & FPS drops. My GPU has very low frame times.
    Any idea what is the cause of this? I understand car physics will tax a cpu but even reducing cars to 20 I'm having issues.

2. Andi Goodwin

Andi Goodwin Moderator Beta tester

Ratings:
    +791 / 0 / -0
    I have no idea , but can you post your full pc specs and hardware/controllers, keyboards etc vr headset and any apps your running at the same time as r3e ...
    That may help someone debug it

Andi

3. GooseCreature

GooseCreature Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +670 / 0 / -0
    17fps at Knutsorp in a NSU, I can empathise old chap! Can't even fire it up anymore, just gives me a headache.

4. neil

neil Member

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0
    My full specs.
    windows 10
    Geforce RTX 3090fe
    Ryzen 7 5800x
    DDR4 64gb 3200
    Installed on an SSD
    ducky one2 keyboard
    G700 mouse
    logitech cordless keyboard & mouse
    tm 300rm wheel
    heusinkveld pro pedals
    TH8A shifter
    DSD button box
    Valve index @ 1.2PD 90hz

FPSVR app is running in background
    The only significant cpu usage is the game though.

And I only see the problem when the game is loaded. It seems related to the AI. Like if there is a car near.

I will load more details of my cpu usage & gpu usage but neither are at 100%.
    Its specifically the cpu frame time that's in the red & I'm not sure what causes an increase in this.

5. neil

neil Member

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0
    This was also at Knutsorp for my driving group 4 m1. I will try other tracks to see if that makes any difference.

6. Maskerader

Maskerader Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +355 / 0 / -0
    CPU usage shouldn't be anywhere near 100% anyway because R3E engine can only use one thread.

7. neil

neil Member

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0
    After much testing. Not related to track.
    related to number of cars in view.
    turning car shadows off has a dramatic effect but looks ugly, i think 20 cars is max if you have shadows on.
    Regarding cpu usage (i think) I'm talking about single core, is around 75%. Although i will double check how the app is configured.
    When the cpu starts to cause problems its hitting 20+ ms.
    My GPU is almost asleep running at 50% & frame time for GPU does not register on the graph.

Is this a DX9 game? I forget. Maybe the game is just unable to use my GPU?
    I wish i understood more about frame-time GPU vs CPU. I don't understand why the cpu is bottlenecked with graphical settings related to the AI. The games behaviour is similar to what I'm experiencing in IL2.

8. Maskerader

Maskerader Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +355 / 0 / -0
    Yes, it's a DX9 game. If I'm not mistaken, drawing more objects on a screen is a task that puts stress both on CPU and GPU, not just GPU alone. One, but extremely complicated object ("a hairy ball") - that's mainly a GPU task. A lot of independent objects, even if they are simple to draw - that's a lot of work for your CPU.

9. neil

neil Member

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0
    So what about increasing PD? increasing PD seems to have no effect on my GPU in this game. My GPU frame-time is always0.1-0.>0.3 & 50-60% usage. Should that not be increasing as well as the CPU?
    Everything i change in graphical options only changes CPU frametime.
    My single CPU usage is up to about 75% but the average would be much less. Multi CPU is up to about 20%.

10. Andi Goodwin

Ratings:
    +791 / 0 / -0
    Any chance your cpu is throttling/power saving , can you try running it on max boost

Andi

11. neil

neil Member

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0
  12. neil

neil Member

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0
    I spent several hours trying different setting in graphics options to test what was effecting the CPU frame-time.
    Some surprises for me.
    Most of this testing was looking at the impact the Ai had, so i started at the back of the grid & was using one track Falkenberg, for consistency.
    This is with 38 cars.
    PD in steam vr 140% 90hz

<10ms is an ideal cpu frame-time, all of theses below caused cpu frame-time to at least double at the start of the grid so would turn off or setting lower.

turning on tiremarks
    shadows medium
    car shadows low
    shader medium
    mirrors medium

most other things where turned up full MSAA x4 had a low impact, go figure.
    I hope the devs can look into this as tiremarks shouldn't have an impact surely?

I need to test more but i think keeping my frametime around 10ms could actually allow 120z

I will post my settings tomorrow..

• Informative Informative x 1
  13. Balrog

Balrog Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +466 / 0 / -0
    IIRC, because RaceRoom uses DX9 and VR works with some magic hack, fpsVR shows false values for the frametimes. What you see in CPU frametime is basically your CPU+GPU frametime combined (and that is because the CPU and the GPU cannot work independently in DX9 or something along those lines), meanwhile the GPU frametime will be incredibly low, it's like that in my case as well.

14. neil

neil Member

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0
    Yeah this makes sense then with fpsVR.
    GPU utilisation is still very low though as I think this is showing correctly?
    I do wonder if there are any plans to improve things or maybe its a bit of an elephant in the room.

15. Andi Goodwin

Ratings:
    +791 / 0 / -0
    Its about as improved as you can get for dx9

Andi

16. neil

neil Member

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0
    exactly. :)