Sugg: visible Track limit overlay

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by pierredietze, Apr 5, 2021.

1. pierredietze

pierredietze Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +232 / 0 / -0
    Maybe just an idea for the future, but is it possible to make the track limits visible? Just like setting a button to enable or disable racing line - enable and disable track limits?

The reason for this is quite simple. I am earning many of my incident points for leaving the track, because i have no glue where the track limit is. Yes, i see it on the ip-counter that i left the track, and my laptimes gets invalid, but i have no chance to see if i miss the line by an meter or just by an inch?
    Yes i see the white lines, but that often has nothing to do with track limits. Talking about Hockenheim T1 for example, the first lap it's ok how wide you go, the next lap it's not although you did "exactly" the same line.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. Maskerader

Maskerader Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +356 / 0 / -0
    I haven't seen that in any game I played, I wonder if it opens up a possibility for people to find more exploits in track limits. Also it might shift focus from racing on track (as in real life) to racing on track limits when the track itself is reduced to a mere indication of clean and dirty surfaces.

But then again, this is a fair point:
    At least in real life you know how track limits are defined, instead of "go out and try".

3. Alex Hodgkinson

Alex Hodgkinson KW Studios Developer

Ratings:
    +1,948 / 0 / -0
    If this is what you're finding, that's a bug and is something which should be reported to us for fixing.

The hard and fast rule we have when defining track limits is as follows:

At least one wheel must be on or above the racing surface at all times.
    The racing surface is defined as the tarmac areas between the painted white lines, the white lines themselves, rumblestrips and curbs.

• Informative Informative x 3
    • Useful Useful x 1
  4. majuh

majuh Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +257 / 0 / -0
    Forza 7 has visible track boundaries, but I don't think the track limits work this way in Raceroom.

5. Nico Kunze

Nico Kunze Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +396 / 0 / -0
    As alex says, generally youre fine as long as you dont go beyond the curbs (so always stay in contact with them). With that in mind i feel like track limits already are visible without any additional overlay.
    Hockenheim t1 is a bit of a weirdo tho and im not sure you can apply that logic there (might be a bug but also might just be related to how ridiculously wide the curb has been made there for whatever reason in real life)

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Zziggy

Zziggy Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +73 / 0 / -0
    No need to do this, because the visible clues are there: the curbs. If you find any exceptions, I suggest you report them here (best with a video) for the developers to fix.

7. Alex Hodgkinson

Ratings:
    +1,948 / 0 / -0
    Yes, exactly this. Applying the rule I stated above, the visual limits are really clear.

8. Wayne Whitmore

Wayne Whitmore New Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    The rule is fine it is just not applied. Turn 1 Hockenheim Cupra competition many leader board times are invalid. My laps are invalidated way inside of the ghosts of the leader board times. Just look at the first 5 places you will see this.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  9. Maskerader

Ratings:
    +356 / 0 / -0
    This is an awkward place because one curb is so wide, but my guess in the other thread was correct: after the wide curb ends, if you get back on track/narrow curb fast enough your lap is still valid. Take a closer look at where his car is and try following the same line, slowly:
    hock-t1-limits.jpg

10. Maskerader

Ratings:
    +356 / 0 / -0
    But this is a good example when the OP's suggestion would help remove confusion and unnecessary guesswork.

11. J.Simonds

J.Simonds Member

Ratings:
    +18 / 0 / -0
    I think the problem with this is how the track presents itself to the driver. There are many tracks that have extended/wider curb areas that are way outside the painted white line, begging the question as to why the white line is there at these spots on the track. I suppose this is in part a result of mimicking the track's layout as it is in real life, but how am I, a crappy noob driver supposed to know/find out where that invisible line is? If I were an actual driver at a real track, I would get some sort of briefing about the track, and would have these specific area pointed out.

Suggestion: Produce track orientation/walk around videos for each track layout. Embed links to these videos in the game/track selection menu.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Jacob Marshall

Jacob Marshall Member

Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0
    I fully agree here, looking at Maskerader's I was really surprised to see how far across that car is; the white line on the tarmac is what I see as the boundary, I've never noticed, or would think to look for, the white line extending from the kerb.

Maybe for sections like that have a broken white-line on the tarmac indicating an edge to the boundary that can be crossed, and a solid white-line showing the actual boundary.

Now if you'll excuse me, I've a few seconds to find.

13. CaptainCoffee

CaptainCoffee Esports Manager Beta tester

Ratings:
    +204 / 0 / -0
    It takes a few invalidated laps, but it's quite easy to know where the track limits are. You push it to the max, find out where you pushed too much, try again and repeat. In my opinion that's just preparation for a race or leaderboard entry: getting to know the track and it's limits.

If you don't take that time.... Well.. How do you prepare? :sweatsmile:

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. GooseCreature

GooseCreature Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +670 / 0 / -0
    You've all been briefed by @Alex Hodgkinson read his first post, working out where these limits can be pushed or not is solely down to the driver. The guys/gals at the top are there because of hours of finding the limits and exploiting any which way they can. If you're a noob, then stay on track and bang out consistently timed laps, sounds like you are way off needing to know track limits, you need to know the cars limits first.

15. Alex Hodgkinson

Ratings:
    +1,948 / 0 / -0
    As with public roads, white lines at a racing circuit play an important part in defining the edge of the circuit in poor visibility. When it's very wet or dark the white lines are your main guide of where the track ends and the runoff begins. Obviously that's not something we can apply in RR but hopefully it gives some background as to why they're where they are.

As for the T1 exit at Hockenheim, the boundaries there are currently too relaxed which is something we will resolve soon.

To reiterate he's the hard and fast rule:

At least one wheel must be on or above the racing surface at all times. The racing surface is defined as the tarmac areas between the painted white lines, the white lines themselves, rumble strips and curbs.

16. nickh158

nickh158 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +69 / 0 / -0
    Maybe someone could have a word with the ai about track limits o_O

17. J.Simonds

J.Simonds Member

Ratings:
    +18 / 0 / -0
    So a sensible request is made and the answer is... "get gud"... Not everyone is a race geek.. not everyone knows all the tracks and cars and drivers... You know, a little help for the new driver would go a long long way ...so .. yeah..once again... R3 is not new driver friendly.. not here, not in Discord.. you guys are so dam elite.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  18. Alex Hodgkinson

Ratings:
    +1,948 / 0 / -0
    I made a new thread inside our knowledge base subforums to clarify track limits for everybody.

Here it is.

• Informative Informative x 1
  19. Maskerader

Ratings:
    +356 / 0 / -0
    I prepare by learning corners and my car's reaction to them, what I can do and what I can't, what are faster/safer lines and I practice to follow them consistently.

The thing is, I do it inside what I assume are track limits - and these turned out different to what they are in the game. My default understanding of track limits was tarmac inside white lines; going full on curbs I saw more of an exception than the rule and the corners that penalize you even though you didn't go outside the lines only reinforced it (turns out it's the opposite).

Why is my idea of track limits like this? I'm not sure honestly, and I'm a bit confused why it was escaping my attention for all the years I play racing sims. Probably because of F1 (back then when I followed it), these cars couldn't attack curbs as hard as tintops, so, like I said, going full on curb was more of an exception than the rule.

Anyway, I feel like I'm not the only one who had this idea of track limits. I like that it's cleared out on the forum, but also a game tip on a loading screen would help spread this info.

• Like Like x 1
  20. J.Simonds

J.Simonds Member

Ratings:
    +18 / 0 / -0
    Thanx....

It is a good example, but as a locked thread it does not allow discussion, or clarification by posting examples.