Sugg: visible Track limit overlay

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by pierredietze, Apr 5, 2021.

1. Nico Kunze

Nico Kunze Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +396 / 0 / -0
    The answer wasnt "get gud" it was "here are the track limit rules for this game. If you feel theyre not being applied correctly let us know and well have a look to see if it needs fixing".
    You dont need to know any cars, tracks or drivers. You need to know the track limit rules (which you now do) and you need to look where youre driving while youre driving (something that i imagine happens automatically regardless of skill, otherwise how do you even know where youre going).

Im pretty sure there is or at least was a loading screen telling you that you should always stay within track limits with kerbs being counted as part of the track (if memory serves correctly with an image of portimaos turn 5 in the background if anyone cares :D). If that screen is no longer in the rotation then i agree that it should make a comeback

2. Maskerader

Maskerader Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +355 / 0 / -0
    I'd argue it's only this easy when you already know the rule stated above. But if your idea of track limits is different (and it does happen, as we see) - that'll take much more time because the game indicates you going off limits only once per lap.

Also it doesn't go well with my regular practice for a race or a challenge because of one incredibly annoying and kinda unique "feature" of this game - once you're off track your delta is disabled, to me it feels like going half-blind.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2021
  3. Maskerader

Ratings:
    +355 / 0 / -0
    I can understand why replies like "it only takes a few laps" or "it's down to the driver to find the track limits" might appear as "git gud", they downplay or dismiss an issue which is how "gid gud" often used...

For example, I absolutely disagree that finding track limits is a driver's job. How far you can push your car without losing it? That's a driver's job. But track limits? They are a part of basic racing rules and these should be formulated in an open and clear way. (Upd: This recent hot topic in F1 shows what happens when they are not.)

Last edited: Apr 28, 2021
  4. Nico Kunze

Nico Kunze Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +396 / 0 / -0
    As far as i know the general rule is shown in the game and certainly has been explained several times in this thread. But if you wanna find the absolute maximum youll still have to find that yourself (note that this absolute maximum is only really needed when wanting to fight the aliens).

Those replies only came after the rules had been explained several times already. At that point there just wasnt much to be said anymore (other than discussing if hockenheim t1 is bugged)

Dont even get me started on the mess that is f1 and track limits :D

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. GooseCreature

GooseCreature Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +670 / 0 / -0
    Each series and officials will have their own idea of track limits and how to enforce them, so who's rules are right? All of them, you will be told at race briefing where track limits are and aren't allowed, you've been told in RR, what do you want neon flashing lines? RR is supposed to simulate real life (as best it can) and in F1 they're complaining about track boundaries, just as you lot are here, well done RR, so life like. There's a white line, get over it! and get a slow down and penalty points. :D

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. J.Simonds

J.Simonds Member

Ratings:
    +18 / 0 / -0
    I am relatively new to Sim racing. I am not new to driving, nor software of many kinds.. I've... err.. been around a while... I've played computer games longer than most of you have been alive. As a new user, I have been trying to bring some awareness to R3 that their sim in not new-user friendly, but I keep getting push back... there is precious little on the front end to help a new driver. none of the menu system have drop down menus or pop-ups to help, the cars and tracks are there, but there is zero info in game about the cars,.... HP, gearing, setups, characteristics... same with the tracks and part of why I suggest some sort of intro to each track..

Not all of us are steeped neck deep in racing.

As great as the back end of R3 is, the ..err.. public face is really lacking.... this is just one issue.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  7. Maskerader

Ratings:
    +355 / 0 / -0
    Simracing does a lot of things differently than real life and most of the time players are fine with it.

Do you mean something like racing line?