Can we have just one rookie only track?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by J.Simonds, Apr 29, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. J.Simonds

J.Simonds Member

Ratings:
    +18 / 0 / -0
    As a new driver, I am slowly getting better at Sim racing.... but...

Not all people have cat like reflexes. Not all of us out here have perfect or even good vision. Many people will take longer to "get up to speed" in any video game. Many older people may not have been weaned on mario carts and other video games that developed gaming reflexes from a young age.. my first computer gaming console was the Magnavox Odyssey ( look it up and weep)

I struggle... my rep has stabilized, but my rat is in the basement.. I am not a great driver but I am improving.. slowly. The situation I find myself in lately is one of having a tough time gaining back Rating. As an example... I join a rookie race and go through Practice and some of Qualification. I then go to the pit and look up in Second Monitor the Rat/Rep of the racers in the race. (Note that I am a sub=1300 rate at this point) What i see is a list of drivers that are 1700+ rating and one guy with zero rat/rep and I leave the race because i have zero chance of gaining back any rating against these drivers. The past two weeks has been .. not encouraging.. my attitude sucks.

Yes, all drivers will want to race these car/track combos, even the good ones, and to prevent them from being able to enjoy these tracks selections may not feel fair to them. As a lowly noob having a rep below 75 means I cannot race in several combos each week. So what I see is that it is fair for Leet drivers to troll the rookie races, but the pleebs are kept out of the higher rate races. The established driver gets protection from the noobs and rookies , but the noobs and rookies do not get any protection from the Leets.

Raceroom..... please give us rookies a chance to race without having to contend with those drivers that are in classes WAY above our status. There is just no way I can compete with these folks. .. I will always lose rat to them .. "I got no chance" against them and therefore no desire to even enter a race in the first place.

Please, setup one of the rookie servers each week to be exclude 1500+ drivers.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  2. Andi Goodwin

Andi Goodwin Moderator Beta tester

Ratings:
    +790 / 0 / -0
    You gain rep , by doing clean races , you gain rating by beating ppl that are above you so your not judged by you result against the really high drivers ,actually they are at risk , because if the worst happens and they dnf , everyone gains except them , you dont need to win the race to get a positive score you just need to finish above those below you in rank ...

Andi

• Agree Agree x 5
  3. J.Simonds

J.Simonds Member

Ratings:
    +18 / 0 / -0
    This is not my experience. My chance of beating a 1700 Rat driver is slim... their chances of DNF are also slim.

I am relating my experience with the game. You are telling me my experience is not what it is.

4. pierredietze

pierredietze Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +232 / 0 / -0
    Don't look at it as a problem, take it as a chance. There are faster drivers on the track, great, learn from them! You will never learn that much from drivers of your rat. You will earn good result, but nothing what brings you forward. Watch them racing, try to follow them, learn where they break, how the drive arround a corner, what line they are using. I am now 1800+ and 94+ and try to learn in every race i participate. And even slower guys are somtimes faster in a specific section of a track where i struggle. Yes, i am a simracer for over 20 years now, but i am not done learning.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  5. Maskerader

Maskerader Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +352 / 0 / -0
    Is it possible to have zero rep and rating? My guess is this is just what Second Monitor shows when a driver haven't raced before, but since all new drivers start at 1500/70, these should be the real values. So if you beat that guy, you should gain a lot of rating... @Andi Goodwin, am I correct? And these faster guys shouldn't really affect your rating.

Then, ELO system is made in such a way that it aims to find your true rating. If you dipped below your "true" skill for whatever random reason, in your next proper races you'll gain more rating than in normal circumstances. And vice versa, if your rating is above your true skill, you'll lose more.

Also, rating is not a career ladder, it's an indicator of your speed. When I look at my rating which is disappointingly lower than I expected I can't help but think:
    meme-slow.jpg

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  6. nickh158

nickh158 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +69 / 0 / -0
    This is exactly what I`ve been asking for. If the devs can set a minimum rating, then it can`t be much of a leap to set a maximum.

7. nickh158

Ratings:
    +69 / 0 / -0
    This isn`t my experience. After 200+ races I have reached the limit of my skillset and I know my rating will never go above 1500.
    So I end up qualifying in the worst possible place: Middle of the pack, where I know for sure I`ll be rammed out of the race before the end of the first lap. My solution is to start at the back and see how many places I can make up, because I`ll never qualify near the front, even in the "Rookie" i.e.slow servers.
    Usually, in a rookie server with 20 drivers I can finish around 10th. Sometimes I get lucky and finish a bit higher. Often I get bumped and jostled enough to force me out of the race, or into the pitlane to finish last.

8. J.Simonds

J.Simonds Member

Ratings:
    +18 / 0 / -0

..and yet they hammer back with reasons why we should not "feel this way" or other excuses.. the Leet are protected from having to race with the pleebs, but it doesn't work the other way around.

Sometimes I think that R3 is not at all interested in growing thier user base. There was a massive influx of new drivers in the last year, but most of them did not stick around. Why? and is anyone in R3 asking why?

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  9. Andi Goodwin

Ratings:
    +790 / 0 / -0
    Maybe they read some of your posts and got depressed , or the video where you basically insult peoples driving skills .
    My suggestion is to get gud ,,, but not in the way you use it , get good at all the tools that are there for you , use the leaderboard , the sp ai the racing line to learn a track and car combo ,

If i want to race somewhere and i havent done it before or have little experience , ill do my homework , ill do the laps , then the leaderboard and then a sp race ... ill learn it ....

Andi

• Agree Agree x 5
  10. sinnfinder

sinnfinder Member

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    Das Rating sagt sagt auch nicht alles aus, über die Funktionen dieses Fahrers mit diesem Auto auf diese Strecke.
    Ein Fahrer mit 1800+ der Befugnisse mit Audi TT, BMW 235 fährt, wird gegen Fahrer mit stabilen 1500+ auf Open Wheelern keine Chance haben.
    Man hat sich nicht so sehr auf das Rating der anderen Fahrer eingestellt, sondern auf das eigene Rating.
    Und dieses System war uns R3E hier zur Verfügung stellt, ist meine Meinung nach einem sehr guten Instrument.

Gruß vom sinnfinder

• Like Like x 1
  11. J.Simonds

J.Simonds Member

Ratings:
    +18 / 0 / -0

You have been rude and dissmissive to me, both here and in the Discord.

Have nice day.

• Funny Funny x 1
  12. nickh158

Ratings:
    +69 / 0 / -0
    ...and here lies the problem: Almost all responses to ideas to improve the game are, "the game`s fine as it is. If you don`t like it, either get better or go away".

13. Maskerader

Maskerader Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +352 / 0 / -0
    I feel like we're facing several different issues here, but they got mixed up.

1) The elephant in the room: it's not fun to be last. That's the reason why matchmaking was invented for multiplayer games, that's the reason why real life sports have divisions, leagues, etc.

"Git gud" doesn't fix it because we all have limited resources we can put into the game: time, experience, skill, knowledge, physique. You can't (except for very small number of cases) change your attitude/approach and jump from steady 1500s to first row guys' level.

Asking for a server for slower drivers is natural. In an ideal situation (i.e. large enough player base) these servers would already exist in one form or another (like separate servers or matchmaking).

2) However, reasoning expressed in this thread revolves around issues that aren't all that related to that, and it naturally draws counter-arguments and disagreement.

Like, for example, "having faster drivers in my race hurts my rating" (the system works in a way that their impact is minimal). Or "having faster drivers in my race results in me being punted off track because I'm the middle of the field" (that's primarily a safe/unsafe driving issue and it's supposed to be addressed by the Reputation system, not Rating). Or claiming that servers are organised to protect fast drivers, "leet", from slow drivers, "pleb" (while it's almost entirely focused to protect people who can drive safely from those who can't, regardless of speed).

Having a higher number in your stats while your speed and skills remain the same won't change anything. Removing faster drivers from your races won't make people around and behind you drive safer.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. J.Simonds

J.Simonds Member

Ratings:
    +18 / 0 / -0
    ooo those vicious down-votes. are you going to go and down vote my video posts like some of the other mods do?... for what ever reason.. you mods have it in for me... it makes you look bad... oh well.. I tried.

15. Andi Goodwin

Ratings:
    +790 / 0 / -0
    Closed

Andi

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.