News May 2021 - Dev Notes

Discussion in 'News & Announcements' started by J-F Chardon, May 14, 2021.

1. Christian G

Christian G Topological Agitator Beta tester

Ratings:
    +2,411 / 0 / -0
    I think you should be able to get the same view using free camera, placing the camera all the way back near the chicane and then zooming in.

• Informative Informative x 2
  2. Peter Koch

Peter Koch Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +191 / 0 / -0
    What wheel are you using?

3. yoori

yoori Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +103 / 0 / -0
    Can't wait for the June update. I felt something missing in the ffb lately.

4. SunnySunday

SunnySunday Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +79 / 0 / -0
    Looking forward to all of these things, but the FFB in particular. On a DD wheel ffb never felt quite right in raceroom

• Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  5. Ablaze

Ablaze Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +120 / 0 / -0
    Back in the the day when we had not much options for a direct drive wheel, I bought a Bodnar V2. Would never do that again. Not because of the money but the support from developers is practically zero. Stationary friction does not work in RaceRoom for example. The worst thing that was present since 2018 is an extreme FFB effect when driving over curbs. Imagine you turn a Hitachi Magic Wand to full power and press it against your cockpit - it makes an annoying loud vibration. The motor turns 1 mm left and right 5000 times a second. No matter what I tried with filtering in the driver or the ingame menu (curb vibrations to 0%, smoothing and damping to 100%), this weird effect was not tameable. My neighbors asked politely if I could stop doing what I'm doing because they heard it in the apartment below mine. The rest works fine and there's no oscillation on straights.

After 3 years of fiddling with the controller ini I noticed that changing FFB steer force average weight to 0.01 eliminates those stupid spikes and the FFB feels finally butter smooth again. It was fine in 2017 when I bought the wheel but something changed later on.

• Like Like x 1
  6. rad

rad Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +458 / 0 / -0
    So those sparks are quite long in the works? I remembered they were in one trailer, so I found that one from a little over year ago (0:35)

I guess everyone dismissed them as too good looking and assumed that they're added in post production. At least I did

• Informative Informative x 2
    Last edited: May 15, 2021
  7. Christian G

Christian G Topological Agitator Beta tester

Ratings:
    +2,411 / 0 / -0
    I'm 99.7 % sure these are a video effect added afterwards.
    If you look closely (and in slo-mo), it actually looks a bit like a campfire flame effect. ;)
    upload_2021-5-15_19-10-19.png
    This definitely isn't what we're aiming for or working on atm.

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. Paul Bennett

Paul Bennett New Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Revised FFB menu is good, always found RRE a little over complicated.

9. Nir Tal

Nir Tal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +53 / 0 / -0
    Wow great news, so many goodies :)
    Cant wait for the next gen FFB, FFB is life or death for me :)
    S3S never disappoints me.

10. Pau Alasà

Pau Alasà New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    I'm incredibly excited with all this things coming soon... It's amazing to see all the evolution of the Sim in these years. I've been racing here since 2019 and the evolution of the game (specially since the first updates of physics...) has been incredible. I love it! Thank you all, our loved developers! :hearteyes:

• Like Like x 1
  11. Ridge Racer

Ridge Racer New Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Best devs on the market I'm so excited!

12. CaptainCoffee

CaptainCoffee Esports Manager Beta tester

Ratings:
    +198 / 0 / -0
    This will be possible, at least for sizes. For different formats I'm not 100% sure

Last edited: May 15, 2021
  13. fbiehne

fbiehne Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +110 / 0 / -0
    Wonder if 4 and 5 mean that they'll move the engine from DX9 to DX11 in the long term? Exciting new features. :)

• Like Like x 2
  14. FeltHλt

FeltHλt Moderator Beta tester

Ratings:
    +479 / 0 / -0
    i thought the same, would be kinda strange, if the plan is to move to other engine- features like rankeds, fbb can work alongside new renderer, but graphical features like spark or smoke hmmmmm o_O

15. Arthur Spooner

Arthur Spooner Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +432 / 0 / -0
    I don't think this has anything to do with new engines or changing DX versions. Look at this:
    I think "looking into our particle system" implies that J-F was talking about the already existing particle system.

And we already have smoke. It's just going to be tweaked to look more realistic. So this part is not even new.

I really wish you guys would at some point stop to try reading stuff into what the devs write, just because you want it to happen... ;)

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  16. nolive721

nolive721 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +77 / 0 / -0
    Well there are other devs that made evolve their own engine to a more recent Windows DX version so there is fair hope no?

To me FFB is as critical as graphics as i have 2 systems thare are upper mid PC HW tier i would say so i have room if they want to push the graphics up

With FFB i owned the game for 2.5yrs now and i am good with my TSPC racer wheel

only complain i have is about road texture feel lacking so if the new FFB fixes that i would be happy

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Maskerader

Maskerader Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +355 / 0 / -0
    New FFB sounds awesome. But seeing how it will be dependent on suspension geometry I can't help but think about some earlier released cars that Alex didn't look after, yet. If their geometry is off, it might result in some weird FFB behaviour.

What does that mean? Not like it's of any importance to me, but I can't really connect the dots of who does what, and what will change.

18. Arthur Spooner

Arthur Spooner Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +432 / 0 / -0
    There's always hope I'd say... ;)

But I honestly don't see a single word in the dev notes pointing in this direction without making things up in your mind.

19. FormelLMS

FormelLMS Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +229 / 0 / -0
    Yes, I want to ask if it's possible to add a 32:9 support to the graphics. It's not that the picture isn't on the whole screen, but it's stretched on the sides.
    Saw many people with those typical 49 inch monitors now racing and Raceroom doesn't look right on them.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. Jota Ele

Jota Ele Active Member

Ratings:
    +36 / 0 / -0
    I hope it doesn't happen like in the last big FF update and this time before the lauch someone in sector3 makes sure that the new FF works correctly in the current simplicity units