Tripple screen thread

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by paul heijmans, Feb 2, 2015.

1. ElNino

ElNino Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +475 / 0 / -0
    I agree the triple monitor support is lacking, but i have found a pretty satisfying view for me. FOV is low, maybe .9, then i change the seat position to where i can barely see top of dash and bottom of roof/shade. The rear view is usually in top half of right screen, while left side mirror is in bottom right of left screen. Of course you need a dash app to make this work, but i find it very immersive and easy to see everything. I do the same in ets2 with great results.

2. Steve Adams

Steve Adams Member

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    So basically you have just a bit more side view and less dash view than someone running a single screen which kind of defeats the purpose of having 3 screens. It could be so much better....

• Love it! Love it! x 1
  3. ElNino

ElNino Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +475 / 0 / -0
    Its preference, ive tried everything under the sun, and much prefer the illusion that that monitor is the windshield, rather than sitting at my desk with a wheel, then looking into another cockpit on screen, then peering through a smaller display of the world. Youre right, you see less of the world on the perimeter this way, but whats there feels more lifelike.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Jeneric

Jeneric Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +79 / 0 / -0
    • Like Like x 6
    Last edited: Jul 14, 2015
  5. Koopman

Koopman Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    Awesome video Jeneric! :)

Which dashboard app do u use on your tablet? Looks very good.

• Like Like x 1
  6. ElNino

ElNino Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +475 / 0 / -0
    Looks great @Jeneric! yup, going for the same type of look. Your setup is very convincing as far as sitting in the car. Here's a couple quick photos of mine...monitors are a bit farther away than i'd like due to "family pc" nature of setup. When i'm feeling ambitious (i.e. not lazy), i'll use the 4th monitor that the keyboard is sitting on as a dash, but lately just been using dashmeterpro on the tablet as i use for everything. Definitely not quite as convincing as your setup, but i ever get a dedicated space for a cockpit, i'll be getting there...cheers.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

on a wholly unrelated note - what GPU are you running to get Shanghai looking that good/smooth on triple screens? My r9 290x couldn't pull that off on this track.

7. Tarik Userli

Tarik Userli Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +578 / 0 / -0
    I have a 290x 8gb. I have maxed all to high just turn of shadows and I have 60fps stable on all tracks.

• Informative Informative x 1
  8. Jeneric

Ratings:
    +79 / 0 / -0
    Thanks a lot

Using HUD Dash. It's an Android app. Cost about 1.50 for the base app, which supports one game only. The full version, supports about 5 games I think and costs about a fiver. Like most of these kind of apps, it is fully configurable and works really well.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Jeneric

Ratings:
    +79 / 0 / -0
    Very nice setup indeed mate. Love the position of the fourth screen, looks great. How did you mount that?

Don't understand those who think having a triple screen setup is all about seeing more track, for me it's all about immersion and smaller FOV's kinda help that.

Running a single GTX 780ti and up until the recent update, played every track on pretty much high settings (except car reflections and sometimes split shadows turned to off, depending on track) and always hit a constant 60 fps. Post update, seeing high Vram usage on Monza and Zolder, which render these tracks unplayable for me. All other tracks, including Shanghai and Moscow play absolutely fine.

10. Xandreela

Xandreela Member

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    We really need something equivalent to iRacing, fully configurable (with differents resolutions) to enjoy the game at the maximum with the triple screen like this:
    [​IMG]

PS: Don't bother the mess, I'm in the middle of moving :)

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  11. ElNino

ElNino Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +475 / 0 / -0
    Thanks man - For the tablet, i am using this mount from amazon, runs about $22 and very beefy. The monitor not in use on the desk is resting on the DVI connector - far from ideal but it works and it's an old monitor, so not especially concerned about ruining it.

I hear you on the view - i'm all about immersion myself, and of course whatever anyone prefers is what's best for them. Thanks for the info on GPU and also from @Tarik - interesting that the 8GB version does a much better job on shanghai, although as we've seen with that track, there could be other more obscure variables involved between our rigs.

12. Jeneric

Ratings:
    +79 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for tablet mount info. The exact one is available on Amazon UK, but there are quite a few variants that will do the job equally as well.

13. Tarik Userli

Ratings:
    +578 / 0 / -0
    Yes shadows are the fps killer himself

14. D.Boon

D.Boon Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +386 / 0 / -0
    You guys will triple monitors suck!

I'm not jealous in the slightest :mad:

• Funny Funny x 1
  15. Tarik Userli

Ratings:
    +578 / 0 / -0
    I dont understand your Post.

16. ElNino

ElNino Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +475 / 0 / -0
    honestly man it's not even that expensive to get started - only expensive once you realize you want higher settings! I started with an r9 270 card and a single monitor - grabbed the monitor from my other pc and bought another 900p monitor for like $80...i was able to run ETS2, R3E and AC at 720p decently in triple screens. only once i NEEDED 1080p, higher settings, etc, did triple monitor gaming start getting expensive, i went nuts on xfire 290x cards...meanwhile children starving in china...

17. nipzon

nipzon Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +59 / 0 / -0
    I sold our family car once the gaming bug bit me. Now they all hate me cause they have to use public transport for everything :cool:

18. D.Boon

D.Boon Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +386 / 0 / -0
    :D
    Don't worry mate, I'm only joking. :)

@ElNino Expensive is a matter of perspective, we're a low income family, there's always something that needs paying for before I can upgrade my PC, 2 kids make sure we always need food and clothes, my car ('02 Mazda 6) is hanging in there but needs tyres and drinks oil, age is not it's friend as much as I love it. Then there's the usual, rent, utilities and chocolate :D

I've just told my missus my GPU is on it's way out, she's not happy. :confused:

19. ElNino

ElNino Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +475 / 0 / -0
    Totally understand Ronin, if i'm honest, i probably spend money that i shouldn't. I mean, bills are paid and all but it would be better to save more money than i do vs trying to squeeze a few extra frames using crossfire that often doesn't work! So while it's nice to have triple screens, i respect your restraint and chances are you'd blow my doors off in a race anyway!

I'm the type that once i get into some type of hobby, i tend to take it to extremes...sim racing, guitar, recently telescope (saw saturn's rings last night woohoo!). Definitely could use a bit more restraint myself!

Good luck with the missus!! :D

20. Kurt Vanhee

Kurt Vanhee Member

Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0
    Possible to post your settings? sqme card over here.