Fanatec General Discussion

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by DomB, May 22, 2018.

1. Wilko Jones

Wilko Jones Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +80 / 0 / -0
    https://www.newegg.com/p/0ZK-08UH-0K0S4

I'd feel safer with Fanatec's PSU, rather than rigging this to work. But who knows. Maybe a DIY PC PSU may be able to over clock your wheel base and get even more Newton meters out of it?

For me, I got the same power of the CSW, for about the same price as a CSW on a Craigslist sale. And it's direct drive. Not much to complain about.

Also, one could find cheaper a 180w PSU, I've seen one for $70... But is it worth the risks?

Last edited: Jun 9, 2021
  2. Bull Shark

Bull Shark Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +162 / 0 / -0
    If you currently own a CSW V2.5, I think you should not buy the CSL DD. If you have a lower end wheel or your CSW V2.5 is broken you could consider a CSL DD.
    Just my 2cents.:D

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. 2ndLastJedi

2ndLastJedi Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +156 / 0 / -0
    Haha yeah I actually thought that was a Porsche module. I was talking about the podium hub with button clusters not having a tuning button and CSWv2 not having access to the tuning menu in the Fanatec software.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. Wilko Jones

Ratings:
    +80 / 0 / -0
    I got what you meant. :D

It's strange that the Porsche Button plate (much better name) is the only way to put a tuning button on the Podium hub. I am not all that familiar with the Podium Hub's capabilities. Was it possible to put all of the control pods from a Uni-Hub onto a Podium Hub?

Agreed. The differences should be small. The same strength, just quicker and better details. It would be a lateral move at best. A CSW owner would be better off waiting for the CSW DD. Everyone knows Fanatec will make one, and it should punch a lot harder than 8nm. At least if Fanatec makes a base model stronger than 8nm. I can see them making a wheel base that is 8nm in low power form, and something like 12-15nm in high power form.

If Fanatec does go with a similar power supply solution when the CSWDD is announced. I suggest they repeat what happened with the CSL DD except, announce the high powered versions price. Only say that the low powered version exists and will be an option. Once some YouTubers are ready to preview the new CSW DD, then announce the low powered version's price.

I promise to have a bag of popcorn at the ready, when that happens.

• Like Like x 2
    Last edited: Jun 10, 2021
  5. FormelLMS

FormelLMS Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +229 / 0 / -0
    It’s not about the PSU price, it’s about the entry price to get a DD.
    The entry price is as low as it could and with the better PSU, Fanatec could earn the money the should do. It’s not that hard to understand.
    Thinking it’s only about the PSU Price is very short of thinking.

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. Arthur Spooner

Arthur Spooner Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +432 / 0 / -0

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  7. 2ndLastJedi

Ratings:
    +156 / 0 / -0
    • Funny Funny x 1
  8. Wilko Jones

Ratings:
    +80 / 0 / -0
    I sometimes read, but I don't listen. Or I listen but I don't read...

Either way, what Mr. Spooner wrote went into my eyeballs, and out my ears, or something.

I'll take that "L". :sweatsmile:

• Like Like x 1
  9. Arthur Spooner

Ratings:
    +432 / 0 / -0
    Still this is kinda funny. I mean it's not like the Podium Hub didn't have the capability to have a lot of buttons connected. It could have the Button Module endurance connected after all. But this was a different connector and it just didn't have more than 2 connectors for the generic button boxes and none for the funky switch. Mounting options for the button boxes themselves were quite limited too. I never really got the point of this thing. Or why it was labelled as a "Podium" product. Only for the cool looks? Meh...

10. Papa Emeritus

Papa Emeritus New Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Hi, I'm testing the new FFB after the June update. What do you think about setting FFB modifiers - Force (FOR), Spring (SPR), Damper (DPR) through the tuning menu? Fanatec recommended settings is still for the old FFB.

11. CrimsonEminence

CrimsonEminence Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +102 / 0 / -0
    Just leave them to 100.

There is no real reason to do otherwise, at least for SPR and DPR, because these two are channels, that need a signal from games, that definetly use these channels. Most modern applications use the main gain channel for spring and damper effects today, tho.
    So if you leave it on 0, games/your wheel will not be able to use the full range of effects and 100 without the game using it will make no difference anyway. (despite this myth around it)

• Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Jul 16, 2021
  12. Wilko Jones

Ratings:
    +80 / 0 / -0
    Will the QR2 work with the CSL WRC rim? It has an exchangeable quick release but, I wonder if it would be allowed to work with the updated quick release due to it's low torque requirements.

13. Arthur Spooner

Ratings:
    +432 / 0 / -0
    The low torque requirements of the WRC rim are there due to the standard QR it comes with out of the box. If you mount a Clubsport QR the low torque is removed now already. So I guess if it is compatible with the new QR2 at all - which I think can be expected - the QR2 will also remove the low torque.

14. ravey1981

ravey1981 Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +873 / 0 / -0
    Have there been any leaks about what qr2 will look like/ do better. Planning to get the CSL DD when they are readily available but don't really want to spend Clubsport money on rims. The McLaren gt3 and a round wheel will do me fine.....

15. Arthur Spooner

Ratings:
    +432 / 0 / -0
    Regarding the looks there was a short glimpse in the trailer for the upcoming BMW GT3 wheel:

Functional improvements in comparison to the CS QR are only guesswork, but to be honest the only shortcoming of the CS QR for me was the still present slight wiggle without the screw attached. So removing the need for the screw for a 100% tight fit would be nice.

16. ravey1981

ravey1981 Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +873 / 0 / -0
    If it's for that wheel it's likely to be a proper motorsports QR....with the cost that goes with it! 500euro or so. Unless fanatec have licenced the design and are able to make it cheaper..... Probably not going to be a realistic option for those of us looking at CSL level equipment...

People are saying it's this one....

https://www.moreheadspeedworks.com/product/krontec-qr03-quick-release-bolt-on/

17. Wilko Jones

Ratings:
    +80 / 0 / -0
    The WRC rim is always in low torque mode, no matter what quick release you connect to it. At least that is what I gather from the steering wheels description and compatibility bullet points on Fanatec's website.

Thinking about it, the wheel rim should be compatible with the QR2. It just will not operate above 8nm on either of the podium bases. Probably due to its design.

18. Wilko Jones

Ratings:
    +80 / 0 / -0
    Go to the Bentley at Fanatec site, splash page thingy...

Bentley at Fanatec – Bentley GT3 Steering Wheel by Fanatec

Scroll down and you will see a pretty clear image of the wheel side part of the QR2. Or this to be exact...

[​IMG]

Fanatec's design is very similar, but not exactly the same thing. But it should be a lot more stable and resistant to wobble than the QR1.

I would like to see a metallic version of the QR1 Lite. That'll probably be more than enough to solve the wobble issues, but not be a solution that would be acceptable in a race car. Oh well.

19. 2ndLastJedi

Ratings:
    +156 / 0 / -0
    From Maurice on the Fanatec forum

"CSL Hub Supports the QR2 as it has an exchangeable QR, yes."

So if the rim supports a removable QR it will support the QR2 is what i was able to gather.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Arthur Spooner

Ratings:
    +432 / 0 / -0
    Yes you're right, sorry. I thought it was the same as with the McLaren wheel which has high torque mode with the CS QR. But the description of the WRC wheel clearly says that it is NOT compatible with high torque, even with the CS QR.

Nothing about QR2 on the product page. But while it's only guessing, I'd wonder if the WRC wheel wasn't compatible. Would be an odd choice tbh.

• Like Like x 1