FFB Update Discussion Thread (June 2021)

Discussion in 'News & Announcements' started by Thomas Jansen, Jun 23, 2021.

1. FormelLMS

FormelLMS Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +229 / 0 / -0
    Yeah, I know. But with latest, it was the same strength on all cars with default mutliplier. If I remember correct. But now, it’s not.

2. FormelLMS

FormelLMS Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +229 / 0 / -0
    Ah, this is why my left arm hurts so much after the impact upon eau rouge. Auaaa…

3. Joakim Tärnström

Joakim Tärnström Active Member

Ratings:
    +25 / 0 / -0
    More praise, even though guess it’s of more use for the developers if problems are communicated - I can now steer the car (the damned brick Volvo Turbo) into the corners with the brakes. Now the feedback is there to let the rear hang out with some confidence, not as a consequence of luck.

• Like Like x 2
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
  4. SuperMonacoGP

SuperMonacoGP Member

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0
    so, if I got it right, it is advised to set ffb at 100 and max force at around 50 on a >10nm dd wheel, which would be the opposite of what is set, for example, on the default sc2 profile ingame

5. Thomas Jansen

Thomas Jansen KW Studios Developer Beta tester

Ratings:
    +562 / 0 / -0
    That would cause a lot of clipping, the FFB Strength scales the output, the Maximum Force setting only 'clips' the signal and doesn't scale it at all. So I would recommend always keeping the max. force above the Strength. You can have a look what happens with the FFB meter open!

• Like Like x 1
  6. Scotty G

Scotty G Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    Is it inadvisable to go into the files now? I will try the FFB +/- buttons to clean up any clipping, but for understeer can I still modify the file?

Running a janky ol' G27

7. memoNo1

memoNo1 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +155 / 0 / -0
    Problem solved.
    Installed the latest driver for the CSW 2.5.
    Steering wheel settings adjusted:

SEN: Auto
    FF: 100
    DRI: off
    FEI: 80
    FOR: 70
    SPR: off
    DPR: off

Ingame FFB is default.

The FFB is very subtle.
    This does not mean that it is bad or too weak. NO!
    I also have to work on the steering wheel. It's not like that.
    IT feels rounder and more comprehensible.
    I really need to learn the FFB (language).
    But much better on the second try with the steps mentioned above!

Sector3 and dear beta testers: "Fantastic work!"
    The UI in dark mode is also great. And finally the fastest laps are displayed after the race.
    Very clear and clean.
    The smoke effects also look great.
    I haven't seen Sparks yet. But it's still coming.

Keep up the good work! Great cinema!

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)

• Like Like x 3
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
  8. ravey1981

ravey1981 Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +873 / 0 / -0
    No. There's nothing in there to change anymore. All that old stuff is gone. As far as ffb is concerned everything that's ajustable is in the game menus.

• Love it! Love it! x 2
  9. KudBkuik

KudBkuik Active Member

Ratings:
    +31 / 0 / -0
    The new FFB works very nice (SimuCube1 / Small Mige).
    • Road details come through nicely (High vertical force setting).
    • Under-steer / over-steer behavior is very good with natural response
    Possible issue: Engine vibes come through extremely grainy and erratic, unaffected by Reconstruction filter increase. Disabling the effects removed grainy feeling.

I know this won't be popular but, I do miss the option to add some slip-effect to represent tire-scrub. I'm "one of those guys" who likes immersive details. :p:D
    Otherwise, very nice update. ;)

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    Last edited: Jun 24, 2021
  10. putzm1

putzm1 New Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Same for me, Simucube 1, mmos, no feedback,

11. BrianBosch

BrianBosch Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +129 / 0 / -0
    FFB/DD1 just WOW!! To all who made this possible: Thanks for your excellent job
    Also the DDF tutorial and Thomas guides are very helpful.

• Like Like x 2
    • Wonderful Wonderful x 1
  12. PanVlk

PanVlk Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +47 / 0 / -0
    I feel like stationary friction isn't really doing anything on T300 at least. There is no perceptible difference between 0% and 100% setting. I can see a small difference on the FFB meter, but cannot feel it at all, the wheel resistance in the pit is identical as far as my frail arms can tell.

13. ravey1981

Ratings:
    +873 / 0 / -0
    Honestly even through testing I found the engine effect to be just annoying, it doesn't add anything useful and just muddies the ffb for me so I run it off completely.

Slip effect won't come back, you still feel it as the car actually loses grip, which you may say is too late.. but since the ffb is now much more in tune with how the car is moving i find more often than not I can save these slides anyway.

14. ravey1981

Ratings:
    +873 / 0 / -0
    Have you got damping set to 100 in TM control panel. Damping is used for (and only for) applying the stationary friction feeling.

15. GregoryLeo

GregoryLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +360 / 0 / -0
    I only had time to do one race this morning. So I put one of the German Nationals (the slower bmw) on the Nordschleife, as I figured that has pretty much every track condition on it, and yes it felt very different. About half way through the second lap I started to get a good feel for it though. Gotta say once I started to understand the output I really started liking it. I had to push the individual car settings up two notches, and the FFB minimum up to 5 and still had just the tiniest bit of dead zone on my G29. But otherwise I had a much better feel for when I was on the edge of control, and was better able to get the car back under control when I did go off the track.:) I know I still have lots to learn on all my favorite cars, so the next week or so will be testing and learning. That's a lot of fun as well. USE THE FFB METER when you start learning the new system, it really helps to understand what's going on with the car.:cool:

All in all another great update by sector 3.
    Thanks for all your hard work.
    Gregoryleo
    P.S.
    like the new UI as well:sunglasses:

• Like Like x 3
    • Love it! Love it! x 3
  16. Bulld0gUK

Bulld0gUK Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    Awesome FFB update, well done to all! I could type more but I'd rather be racing ;)

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
  17. Badgerous

Badgerous Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +223 / 0 / -0
    My first 30mins suggests something's not right..
    Firstly, I can see two profiles for my SC2 Sport. A "Simucube 2 Sport", and a "Simucube 2 Sport Alexs".. Which should I be using?

Then do I have to do anything in True Drive, or should my old profile there just work?

18. ravey1981

Ratings:
    +873 / 0 / -0
    The Alex profile must be one you have imported or set up previously?

In any case the game will automatically convert all old profiles to the new system. Just keeping your button binds etc.

You should then get default settings for your wheelbase.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  19. Balrog

Balrog Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +466 / 0 / -0
    Is it weird that I simultaneously don't feel any significant difference, but yet I can definitely sense that I can control the car much better? Maybe it's because I'm always jumping from sim to sim and adopting to different behavior is kinda my speciality now.:D But the new FFB feels very nice with the DTM 2020 cars for example, in fact with every category I tried so far.

• Like Like x 2
  20. Arthur Spooner

Arthur Spooner Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +432 / 0 / -0
    I'd like to add my 2 cents...

Since I was always heavily relying on the force-drop-off-effect to detect understeer, you can imagine I was afraid quite a bit the new FFB would destroy this for me. Well, it did - but provided me with somehting else to replace it. I can't really put my finger on it, but for some reason I just knew when the car was understeering. And when you steer to much into a corner, at some point the tyres also start to "rattle" over the tarmac, giving a good indication. On the other hand, detecting oversteer and countering it is just a breeze now - a LOT more naturally noticable than before.

I can't really tell what exactly makes the FFB good, but it just is. For me at least. :)

Only one thing bothered me a bit. I'm not totally sure if it is an FFB thing or rather a physics thing. When I enter the banked part of Karussell on the Nordschleife, the steering goes light and I end up in understeer-nirwana, nearly hitting the outside wall. I had the impression that I needed to go a lot slower than I'm used to, to make the corner. But even when I managed to stay on the banking, the steering felt relatively light. I think I will do a bit more testing on this and maybe compare with old replays - maybe I'm just feeling ghosts... :oops:

• Like Like x 1