New replay interface

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Lixma, Jun 23, 2021.

1. Lixma

Lixma Honorary QA

Ratings:
    +174 / 0 / -0
    I'm not a video/content creator so I can't honestly judge whether the new replay features are an improvement in that regard.

But, like almost everyone else, I mostly use the replay system to identify and shame drivers who make innocent mistakes, while simultaneously concocting excuses as to why my divebombing was fully justified and good.

And to that end the new interface has taken a couple of steps forward, but a few steps back.

[​IMG]

From left to right....

Driver names & selectable list - fantastic. It would be even better if the names were prefixed with race position number, or a way to order the list alphabetically/position etc, but even so a great improvement.

Camera selection - why doesn't it display the name of the camera you're using? Even when you bring up the menu there's no indication of which camera is currently being used. My suggestion - replace 'Select Camera' with the name of the current camera; just like the driver list does.

Transport Controls - We can now run the replay at 4x speed. But bizarrely you can't do it with the interface transport controls. Suggestion - Have the 2X FORWARD button toggle between 2X and 4X.

The 'Hide UI' and 'Controls' buttons - These are the worst. The useful interface icons by which we used to pan around the car and zoom in and out have been removed and relegated to keypresses, only to be replaced by....

[​IMG]

Only it doesn't even hide the UI! When you press it this thing pops up....

[​IMG]

One sixth of the new replay interface is given to a button that reminds you ought to be pressing something else instead. Not good.

The 'Controls' button at least takes you to the key binding page, but does it really need a button occupying that much interface? Considering the very useful interface elements that have been removed, wouldn't a small inobtrusive 'gear' icon performed the same task?

I would've liked to see a way to advance the timeline in one-lap increments, though I suspect the current VCR format doesn't include that info(?).

Anyway, rant over.

2. Philippe M

Philippe M New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    For what it's worth, I miss these too!

3. Arthur Spooner

Arthur Spooner Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +432 / 0 / -0
    Just use the numpad. It'd hardcoded to do so and will always work.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Philippe M

Philippe M New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for the tip, Arthur!

5. Michael L

Michael L Member

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0
    How do I see gear/speed in replay? Before the update, I believe I saw OtterHud display in replay but it's gone?

6. CaptainCoffee

CaptainCoffee Esports Manager Beta tester

Ratings:
    +205 / 0 / -0
    enable the motec

otterhud is indeed unavailable in replays atm, devs know about this

7. Beastux

Beastux Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +290 / 0 / -0
    There is still something that would be very usefull in sessions replays, a list of all the laptimes so that we can select the fastest one if we want to watch it (the fastest lap is recorded in the leaderboard but not in competitions and it's a bit annoying).

• Agree Agree x 1
    Last edited: Jun 24, 2021
  8. Christian G

Christian G Topological Agitator Beta tester

Ratings:
    +2,411 / 0 / -0
    It was worse when that button actually did hide the UI, because unless you remembered that the hotkey to bring it back is "H", you weren't able to bring the control panel back up and had to exit the replay.

I guess the reason it's there in the first place is because for people creating videos this is one of the most important functions.

9. Michael L

Michael L Member

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0
    Thanks. I do have motec on and the gear/speed show up while driving, just not in replays.

10. Michael L

Michael L Member

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0
    How do you move the replay control bar to the top?

11. Hervé45

Hervé45 Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +135 / 0 / -0
    you click on the little arrow in the middle of the replay menu bar

• Informative Informative x 1
  12. Michael L

Michael L Member

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0
    Oh, thank you! I was blind :)
    Happy racing.

13. Maskerader

Maskerader Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +358 / 0 / -0
    I have it in replays too. Try to assign a button for "Toggle speed cluster" and scroll through it while in replay.