D-box settings

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by siri175, Jun 23, 2021.

1. siri175

siri175 Member

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    I know there are a few d-box owners active here and wanted to get your thoughts on settings.

Before the build today, I found I had to dial down the suspension setting otherwise the larger curbs felt like the tires were made of concrete, not rubber. After testing today I increased it a little but in general I’m finding it difficult to dial the settings in. I haven’t ruled out the possibility my profile is somehow borked, although I did reinstall it. Or perhaps d-box need to do some work on the profile - their updates have really slowed down this year.

Any thoughts from other d-box users?

2. KudBkuik

KudBkuik Active Member

Ratings:
    +31 / 0 / -0
    D-box hadn't paid much attention to RaceRoom when I first inquired about updating the Motion Code but, they did add more effects a short time later. With ongoing physics improvements, there may be more need for further Motion Code updates too.

For FB users, there is an active D-box group there that is a good place to make suggestions or share information. Ken is the best one to appeal to for title updates.

I'll Make note of my settings for RR and report back.

• Like Like x 1
  3. siri175

siri175 Member

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    I reached out to d-box directly a few times on various sims, you’re right they didn’t show much interest in raceroom (at the time I wondered whether it was because they thought a new Raceroom engine might be coming at some point, so not worth investing the time). Ken is definitely the best way to get their attention, he’s been great. I also posted a couple of times on the FB page a year or two ago but didn’t get any replies.

So… I thought I’d try here first. Mainly to see whether the issues I’m having are the same as others, to rule out a problem on my side first. Yesterday I was also hopeful that the FFB improvements might extend to the d-box telemetry but so far I don’t see much of a difference. I’m interested to hear your take on the state of the d-box implementation.

4. KudBkuik

KudBkuik Active Member

Ratings:
    +31 / 0 / -0
    D-box has alternate methods beyond telemetry though. For example, they support the WRC-series titles without telemetry, and movies don't use telemetry so, other motion cues are used as well.

Regarding the RaceRoom effects, here are my current "general" settings, some cars may require more or less intensity.

General Motion Effects
    Front / Rear Intensity: 47% (perhaps this is key to feeling drive-train effects?)
    Left / Right: 40%
    Up / Down: 40%

Yaw - not used

Engine Vibes: 31%
    Skid Vibes: 44% (don't seem to work???)
    Suspension: 34%

I do think many D-box users are among iRacing players, some of whom may easily disregard other titles as being relevant or worth-while. Ken seemed surprised when I told him about newer developments to RaceRoom, so it seems to be lower on the D-box radar in general. The number of RR motion effects is still pretty limited.

• Like Like x 1
  5. siri175

siri175 Member

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    Interesting, thanks for sharing.

I run the engine vibration at 38, but that’s more a personal preference I think.
    Skid - 52. At first I thought it didn’t work but when you take it over 50 it seems to kick in. It feels a bit fake though.
    Suspension - I’ll try your 34. I was at 36 but that’s probably still too high.

Maybe if you and I both reach out to Ken, it will prompt d-box to give it some attention. I’ll make a post on FB.

Thanks again

Edit: the 34 suspension setting makes the world of difference, I’m kicking myself for not trying that sooner. Tires feel like rubber again :)

• Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Jun 24, 2021