FFB Update Discussion Thread (June 2021)

Discussion in 'News & Announcements' started by Thomas Jansen, Jun 23, 2021.

1. PanVlk

PanVlk Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +47 / 0 / -0
    Yep, everything in TM panel is 100%. I can see it's doing something on the FFB meter, just the intensity even at 100% is too low to notice physically.

Maybe I'll need to test it with more cars, perhaps the power steering was messing with it in some way.

2. Olli B

Olli B New Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Hey memoNo1,
    you should try DPR at 100% in your wheel driver setting to get that stationary friction effect!
    Greets and enjoy!
    Olli

3. sbtm

sbtm Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +591 / 0 / -0
    Nope. I also have a profile for my simucube 1 with an alexs ending. And it's not the one I used to use, that one is still there. Also cannot delete it

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Joakim Tärnström

Joakim Tärnström Active Member

Ratings:
    +25 / 0 / -0
    Third 60 minute race on Elkhart Lake. This time I decided to try the real monsters, the Group 5 cars. Same thing here. The rear can be caught when it’s breaking away. These cars are so much more driveable than before. One bug, and it might not be related to the update, when I entered the pitlane my car went into the air. I could see nothing through the windshield but watching through the rear view mirror I was just circulating high up in the air. All I could hear was the wind blowing… No problem escaping to the backend but pressing resume just put me back spinning in the air.

5. Badgerous

Badgerous Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +223 / 0 / -0
    I'm getting somewhere with the FFB now, but along the way I've lost my 1:1 relationship with the wheel vs what I see/what's happening in game.

6. Badgerous

Ratings:
    +223 / 0 / -0
    Same. I deleted them manually, and did a Steam integrity check. That just pulled them down again, and also screwed up my open composite setup. ..Dammit - I hate change. :D

7. ravey1981

ravey1981 Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +873 / 0 / -0
    This is odd. I am also on a t300 and feel the stationary friction just fine. I have it set to 50% in game. All default in TM control panel.

8. ravey1981

ravey1981 Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +873 / 0 / -0
    When dropping into the karusel you often end up lifting a front wheel off the ground which would explain the sudden lightness and loss of grip, maybe. Would also have to test that. It's a theory though.

9. RampageRacing

RampageRacing Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +71 / 0 / -0
    My fears were unfounded. I was afraid that my G27 would end up feeling like it does on ACC, which I hate. At first, with the default settings, it did feel like that and I was bummed. However, after I assigned a key to the FFB meter and cranked the FFB multiplier up to 2.0 the Callaway Corvette felt really good on Mid-Ohio and I was setting fast laps within 1 second of my Leaderboard time. That is not bad considering I have not driven in R3E in over 6 weeks.

The weight of the wheel feels good and I am getting good road feel. The curbs seem to be more muted. I have driven on Mid-Ohio and can testify that the curbs cause a bit more feedback through the wheel than what I am currently getting. However, I have not tried to do any fine tuning at all so I am optimistic that I can get a good facsimile with a tweak here or there.

I am relieved and happy. Thank you to all the Devs.

• Like Like x 2
    • Love it! Love it! x 2
    • Wonderful Wonderful x 1
    Last edited: Jun 24, 2021
  10. Badgerous

Ratings:
    +223 / 0 / -0
    I'm stumped.. No matter what I do, I can't get the wheel rotation to match now. I've also had a couple of nasty moments where upon quitting the game a max-force pulse has been sent to the wheel sending it spinning full-whack in one direction.. I might bite the bullet and do a full-reinstall tomorrow.

I've just sanity checked the basics in AMS2, and all is still fine there.

11. Takanori Yoneda

Takanori Yoneda New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
  12. Badgerous

Ratings:
    +223 / 0 / -0
    Yeah, exactly that.

13. Walter Cardillo

Walter Cardillo New Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Does anyone have a FFB profilke for a Leio Bodnar Sim Steering 2 (54) wheel? Your help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
    Walter (Australia)

14. Skidmark

Skidmark Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +232 / 0 / -0
    For what it's worth... T300 user; very happy straight up; more tweaks to do and things to learn but thumbs up from me.:D

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  15. Peter Koch

Peter Koch Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +191 / 0 / -0
    Works with the engine turned off or with cars without Power steering.

16. Andreaf

Andreaf Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    DENNIS WILTZEN have found the issue with NO FFB in RaceRoom using the Default Simagic profile. The following line in the Default Simagic profile is the culprit:

[FFB rumble strip wave type="3" // Type of wave to use for vibe: 0=Sine, 1=Square, 2=Triangle, 3=Sawtooth up, 4=Sawtooth down]

Changing the 3 to a 0 seems to resolve the issue. I have taken the default profile and edited it to reflect these findings.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  17. Thomas Jansen

Thomas Jansen KW Studios Developer Beta tester

Ratings:
    +563 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for letting us know :) I will spread it to the others having issues, hopefully it is the same issue for everyone. For anyone not sure how to change this:

A potential cause was found to be some 'wave type' settings in the controller profile that are set to 'sawtooth' and possibly 'square wave'. Even though they are not used anymore, the game is likely still communicating with the wheel that it might want to use those and there have been issues with some wheels not being able to use those types of waves. You can already try fixing it yourself by changing these wave types to "0" (sine wave) in the controller profile file (.rcs) in \Documents\My Games\SimBin\RaceRoom Racing Experience\UserData\ControlSet:
    • FFB rumble strip wave type="3" -> FFB rumble strip wave type="0"
    • FFB flatspot wave type="1" -> FFB flatspot wave type="0"
    We will also be changing these in the default profiles as they are not used in the FFB anymore anyway, so it will not affect anything. I hope this fixes the issue for everyone so you can enjoy the new FFB!

• Like Like x 2
  18. STISH

STISH Member

Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0
    Hello !
    First, awesome job from S3 for this fantastic new FFB !

I want to re-start from a new profile for my DD2 (just in case), but there is still two profiles, the normal and the alternative, is there still a difference between them ?

• Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Jun 24, 2021
  19. Fleskebacon

Fleskebacon Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +258 / 0 / -0
    Very happy chap here. Thank you for getting rid of all the useless, cryptic FFB settings and replacing them with just a few, very easily understandable sliders and options.

The default settings are spot on. My findings so far:
    1. Catching slides now feels very natural. And fun.
    2. It's now much easier to feel the grip limit. The effect I feel in the wheel as I approach the grip limit feels so much more natural. I don't miss the slip effect at all, because the new feel is much easier to read.
    3. Basically, everything the wheel does now feels very natural and precise.

4. The rumble strips feel fine to me, they give feedback but not anything overkill. Not sure if this reflects real life, as others have pointed out, but it feels fine to me.
    5. Grass, gravel and road surface also feels fine, nothing overkill. I haven't tested the "bump" settings, as I don't feel I need any more feedback from bumps. Also, I have asskickers, which are better suited to fill these functions than the wheel.

6. The obviously physics based FFB now integrates very, very well with the also physics based Simhub bass shakers! What's going on with the wheel now reflects 100% what's going on in my ass(!). I'm an immersion kind of guy, so this really made my day.

I'm using a DD1, in Fanatec settings I run force and all effects at 100%, natural damping, natural friction and natural inertia at 0%, interpolation=1. I tested interpolation=0, which feels ok, but sometimes this gives unnatural, harsh vibrations and jolts, especially with dirty tyres. Will play around a little more with this, but setting it to 1 seems to cure it. It's of course desirable to use as little interpolation/smoothing as possible.

(I also suspect some minor work has been done to the manual clutch, because after the update, I no longer experience clutch slipping with the H-pattern cars. This might also be a nice side effect of the revamped controls, who knows. Anyway, as far as I can tell, a small but long standing annoyance for me is finally gone. Any words on this, @Alex Hodgkinson ?)

• Like Like x 10
  20. Enrik

Enrik Member

Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0
    I would like to ask a question to the most experienced people. Regarding the FFB meter, I know it serves to limit clipping. Does this also serve to avoid stressing the wheel base? That is, I would like to know if the FFB meter also serves to preserve excessive motor output power. Unfortunately I am always afraid of stressing it too much. In fact I keep my CSL v1.1 (I think 7 nm) with FOR and FFB at 90 instead of 100. Can I feel comfortable with the FFB meter? Thanks for reply