Can`t control formula cars - what am I doing wrong?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by nickh158, Jul 19, 2021.

1. nickh158

nickh158 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +69 / 0 / -0
    I can`t control any of them; either I complete a lap 5+ seconds off the pace or I end up spinning. There`s no way I could get through an entire race in these cars.
    What`s the secret?

2. anno900

anno900 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +47 / 0 / -0
    10 minutes ago I drove FR3 on Road America at 102% AI and one by 0.5s. very cool race. 20 minutes race and I was nowhere near a spin. So hard to say what you are doing wrong. I have t300 wheel with default settings, just bumps on 50% and the car ist super stable in every situation. A little bit like in rails. FR2 is hard but basically just out of slow corners cause they have plenty of BHP

3. David Peres

David Peres Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +96 / 0 / -0
    Been driving a lot of Tatuus F4 and FR3 lately and they feel and drive great. The Tatuus will oversteer if you give it too much throttle while cornering at low speeds, but it's pretty easy to feel it coming and avoid/correct so I never really spin.

4. ravey1981

ravey1981 Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +873 / 0 / -0
    Tbh the formula 4, 3 and 2 are pretty easy with the latest physics and ffb changes. You're not running any non standard throttle/brake curves or something weird? Or custom steering rotation?

With the downforce these have you can often corner a LOT faster than you think, especially of you are more used to GT cars for example. Avoid unnecessary downshifting, often you can use the torque to pull you through a corner.

Pick a short track like BH Indy and just lap the hell out of it in a fr3 until you get to understand what the car can and can't do.

Smooth is fast in single seaters.

5. pflynhi

pflynhi New Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Suzuka is another track that can help, start with the Tatuus F4 and learn to navigate the esses and up hill climb with just throttle control and avoid using the brakes. Once you get comfortable move on to the FR3 and repeat

6. Plutarch-Petrarch

Plutarch-Petrarch Member

Ratings:
    +24 / 0 / -0
    Driver61 has a useful recent video about driving aero cars - you need to carry speed to keep the wings working and the grip levels up