Disconnections

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by NicoCL68, Jul 28, 2021.

1. Maskerader

Maskerader Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +356 / 0 / -0
    I tested it and it's actually true. So there's basically no disconnect or even a deliberate ragequit penalty - only a consequence of only driving a fraction of race distance. This sheds a whole new light on the disconnection issue and I'm surprised it wasn't brought before. Also it means that being able to reconnect is a natural way to recover most of the rep loss and won't need any changes in the rep system.

Also, as we know, the devs are thinking of a driver swap feature, which is mostly relevant only for longer races. Longer races mean a greatly increased chance of a disconnect and a much higher cost of it (wasting a 15 minutes race is not the same as wasting a 2 hour one). Reconnect feature would come especially useful in dealing with such incidents.

P.S. It also brings attention, again, to disconnects that happen before a race even started. They do happen, even up to a point of the whole grid disconnecting and all of them getting a rep drop (and all sorts of rank changes). And when it happens, you get hit with a bigger penalty (for 3 incident points vs. 0 corners) than someone deliberately rage-quitting mid-race (the same 3 incident points vs. X number of corners), which doesn't look fair to me at all.

Right now it works like that because the game starts penalizing for disconnects after quali session ends. If this could be changed and penalties were only applied after a player actually loaded into race session, then:
    1) it would lower how often people lose rep for a race they didn't even had part in and something they might had no control over;
    2) people won't be getting an essentially bigger penalty for a disconnect than a rage-quitter.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2021
  2. jotix

jotix New Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Really is not right give a maximum amount of rep lost for something like an internet connection lost... I agree with a penalty, because you never know if was intentionally or not, but not in that way...

3. ravey1981

ravey1981 Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +873 / 0 / -0
    Re reconnects even if it were possible its unlikely it would be enabled as you'd still get the stutter/game hang for all other drivers at the point of reconnection. That's why it was disabled on Q sessions after all.

Disconnects aren't great for anyone but certainly those who are not disconnecting should not have to suffer consequences.

Rest assured these disconnects and other game crashes are being looked at by the devs.

4. Maskerader

Ratings:
    +356 / 0 / -0
    Did the devs try it and it worked like that? From my point of view, connecting a new player (updating the list of drivers, adding a new car to the session, etc.) is not necessarily the same as restoring a connection with someone who was already there.

I'm sure they are but it doesn't cancel that something also can be improved on the reputation system side. Like what I mentioned above, don't apply the penalty to drivers who were still in transition from Q to R.

What's more, the way I look at it now, I doubt these 3 points for disconnect are even needed, I have an impression they might do more harm than good.

The only scenario where they make a positive difference is when someone rage-quits at the early stages of the race while acquiring no incident points or just a couple of them. In all other scenarios they either don't make a lot of difference anyway or are hurtful for someone who did nothing wrong. I can expand my thoughts on that if you're interested.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2021
  5. NicoCL68

NicoCL68 Member

Ratings:
    +21 / 0 / -0
    Several times this week: connection seems to be lost in the middle of the race, opponents disappears for a moment, but all seems OK a moment after and I finish between the firsts. Then in the results I appear disconnected and in the lasts positions. Every time that cost to me around 30 rating. A disaster.

Last time some minutes ago. Me and Peter Given goes from 3rd and 2nd to 10th and 9th

And I'm sure my Internet connection is pretty stable

6. jotix

jotix New Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    another thing to say is, they're punishing people who disconnect two times, first with the rating lost, and then with reputation lost, the rating lost is enough...

the reconnection is not the issue here, from my perspective, you cannot punish players with something that affect and spends our time (very scarce in my case), and because of that now I have play 5 or 6 races in rookies with combinations I don't like, farm again the reputation, to finally play the combinations there I like.... and all of that for an internet connection lost, i totally understand if was for reckless driving, but not in this and many others cases...

Last edited: Aug 3, 2021
  7. NicoCL68

NicoCL68 Member

Ratings:
    +21 / 0 / -0
    Somebody knows what ping can be considered safe enough ?

8. ravey1981

Ratings:
    +873 / 0 / -0
    300 is the limit. I wouldn't want to be racing with more than 150. I have 50-60 and have never had a disconnect.

9. NicoCL68

NicoCL68 Member

Ratings:
    +21 / 0 / -0
    I have about 175 to USA servers and about 185 to EU servers. And have been disconnected several times.

10. jotix

jotix New Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    there is a super simple way to fix this... simply remove the reputation penalty por disconnection, is dumb penalizes two times for that (rating & reputation) the lost of rating for a D/C is enough

11. Maskerader

Ratings:
    +356 / 0 / -0
    My ping is always around 150 but I never saw cars jumping around or anything that looks like a connection lag. Or is it only my car that should appear like that for other people?

Last edited: Aug 4, 2021
  12. jotix

jotix New Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    my ping is usually 220/250 (from south america) and don't have any issues normally, in 3 months (60 races) I have only 2 disconnections, but is annoying when this happened to farm again the rep to get out from rookies and play the most appealing races, for me this is the only issue, this D/C penalization waist some of my time.

13. ravey1981

Ratings:
    +873 / 0 / -0
    I don't know to be honest.

14. ravey1981

Ratings:
    +873 / 0 / -0
    That's towards the high end so it only takes one spike to put you over the limit.

15. Takanori Yoneda

Takanori Yoneda New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I think it would be less likely to get kicked if the US server was the main one rather than the European one, for all players.

16. ravey1981

Ratings:
    +873 / 0 / -0
    The vast majority of players are European. That's not going to happen.

17. jotix

jotix New Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    impossible, you've see the servers at the American times, are complete dead, almost all player base is European.

but in the other hand Sector3 forget the complete America continent, in NA they like the oval racing, here in south America specially Brazilians and Argentinians like the European road content, but the prices of RRRE are not localized, like all other sims (99% of steam is priced localized), so is very expensive for us, Brazil itself have enough simracers to fill an important amount of servers, only if they sell the content in Steam in local currency.

18. Lixma

Lixma Honorary QA

Ratings:
    +174 / 0 / -0
    Just happened to me.

[​IMG]

I started 3rd, finished second with 0 incident points, but it recorded a disconnection. Tobias on pole had the game crash on him while transitioning from quali to grid and also got hit with a disco penalty. There's lately a lot of lag and players being raptured.

19. jotix

jotix New Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Please Sector3, remove the incidents for disconnections or only count them if the player actually started the race, in the actual state only affect in serious manner to people who get a D/C in the transition qualy/grid... not who are rage-quiting... what I assume is the intention.

• Disagree Disagree x 1