Problem Launching directly to Multiplayer Server

Discussion in 'Community Support' started by Collywobbles, Aug 27, 2021.

Tags:
  1. Collywobbles

Collywobbles Member

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0
    Is there some issue with launching directly to a multiplayer server? They don't seem to work for me. I've tried several of the Join links on the Beta Multiplayer Rankings page, but all they do is launch the game to the main menu. I'm pretty sure these were working before and took you directly to the server.

2. Collywobbles

Collywobbles Member

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0
    Okay, I fixed it myself. You need to add an ampersand (&) to the end of the launch URL. So:

This link will work

This link won't work

Add the ampersand to the links on the Beta Rankings page and they will work once again.

You're welcome.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2021
  3. Lemmy

Lemmy Member

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0
    Where do you put this line?
    In the STEAM R3E Properties ->Start Options field, or?

Thanks

4. Collywobbles

Collywobbles Member

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0
    It works like a URL. So you can use it on any webpage to launch directly to a multiplayer server.

5. 16sth

16sth Member

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0
    Isn't that what this page does?

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

• r3e.JPG
      r3e.JPG
      File size:
      72.5 KB
      Views:
  6. Collywobbles

Collywobbles Member

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0

7. Lemmy

Lemmy Member

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for the reply, but I'm afraid the link doesn't work for me at all, that's why I asked. Just opens a Blanc/Error page...
    I really would like to get this feature to work though, if I could only understand how?

8. Collywobbles

Collywobbles Member

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0
    Ah yes, the URL tag here on the forum changes the link and adds an extra "http://" so the link above doesn't work. You need to type the address into your web browser (or create a webpage link) like this:

rrre://multiplayer/join?data={"MultiplayerJoin":{"Address":"100.20.89.186:62010"}} &

Change the IP address and port to any available multiplayer server and the game will launch directly into it. The ampersand on the end is important, as that's what makes Steam launch directly into the multiplayer server. Without it, the game will launch but will just stay on the main menu.

Unfortunately, you always get a Steam message popping up (sometimes hiding in the background) asking you to confirm that you want to launch the game, but that is something only Valve can change.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2021
  9. 16sth

16sth Member

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0
    I just tried it and yes, it only launches the game. I find that quite odd. Why wouldn't you have the links directly opening the multiplayer race otherwise what's the point of the button??

Shouldn't the " actually be quotation marks " ?
    rrre://multiplayer/join?data={"MultiplayerJoin":{"Address":"100.20.89.186:62010"}} &

10. Collywobbles

Collywobbles Member

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0
    No. You can't type quotation marks into a browser URL.

11. Maskerader

Maskerader Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +356 / 0 / -0
    Why? Seems to work for me.

12. Collywobbles

Collywobbles Member

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0
    That's nice, but typing it directly into the browser is fairly pointless. It's only use is to create a link on a webpage for you to click on and you aren't going to be able to use quotation marks in html, you have to use &quot. Well, you might be able to encapsulate them inside single quotes, but this is not recommended, which is why html provides the &quot tag.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2021
  13. Maskerader

Maskerader Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +356 / 0 / -0
    I checked that too. :)

As far as I see it's valid for XML and HTML. Do you mean "not recommended" as in "unusual and thus can create confusion while coding/debugging"?