Gone insane, 350mm steering wheel, is it just me?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Turtle Power, Sep 27, 2021.

1. Turtle Power

Turtle Power Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +302 / 0 / -0
    I have always been a fan of 320mm steering wheel size like MOMO mod 78 and not any smaller. (I hate smaller than 310mm).
    A few weeks ago bought a brand new Momo Prototipo 350mm, mainly for older cars and titles like ETS2 and ATS. Funny thing, I started using the same wheel for GT cars too. Right now, I love using the same steering wheel for everything except F1 cars. So vintage look, large steering wheel, feels good in my hands, and it gives me a false impression that the vehicle is larger than before. So weird. It may sound ridiculous too. I even added extensions for paddle shifters so I can use them with the Ascher Racing steering box.

I am wondering how many of you are using 350mm for sim racing? Or is it just me? :D

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  2. n01sname

n01sname Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +956 / 0 / -0
    Funfact : I found the Prototipo last evening, fell in Love and ordered it directly :)...I used a 380mm (!) OMP buckskin wheel for my Unihub (mainly for Dirt Rally 2.0) but as the cupping was too deep for the control buttons/paddles (70mm) and the buckskin wore off quickly it wasn't the best choice - at that time I didn't pay much attention to the specifics tbh (no experience) but it felt really great to drive nevertheless. The Prototipo is a real beauty - I mostly don't like those modern designs and was also looking for something I could use universally - pretty sure it will perfectly fit with anything : GT, Classics and Rally ;)

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2021
  3. keanos

keanos Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +137 / 0 / -0
    I also bought the 350 Prototipo a few years ago, originally for my fanatec xbox hub to drive streetcars in forza motorsport and do ETS2/ATS. And of course I also used it for the old cars in RaceRoom, but since a while I use it for almost everything except of Formula, DTM or Prototype cars.

It is so easy with this wheel to hold the drifts of the old cars and also the new WTCR touring cars. This wheel size together with 964 is a blast on most tracks.

The wheel is really the best and it has also the "flavour" of those old 80's and 90's Porsches. I think I will order a second one during the next months together with a fanatec podium hub.

Alternative to the Prototipo is the Fanatec Clubsport Wheel Rim Classic 2: https://fanatec.com/eu-de/accessories/steering-wheel-accessories/clubsport-wheel-rim-classic-2

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2021
  4. Psychotik

Psychotik Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    Agree with all of you guys. I got mine a few years ago from a 924 Cup driver IRL. Funny thing is that I thank him and said the wheel is really big. Oh no he replied this is a quite small one. This wheel is absolutely perfect for vintage or road cars.

In Raceroom I use it for vintage cars only, so NSU, 964, Scirocco, GT4/5 and GTO mainly. But I don't use it in any car having shifter paddles excepted road car. I use it a lot in AC where you have some (not a lot but some) quality mods. I had just yesterday a ride with a little Austin Mini FIA Spec at Goodwood. AC is mainly just for the fun but where do I go for a ride at Goodwood in one of my beloved 60s sweeties? :D

Anyway just one more opportunity to say that I miss pre-70s cars in Raceroom. Beside that really happy to see more Momo Prototipo racers here. Cheers !

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. pierredietze

pierredietze Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +232 / 0 / -0
    My largest wheel i use is a genuine 420mm Nascar steering wheel, for...Nascar of course. Except from that, for vintage cars a 320mm suede steering wheel, but everything GT i like 300mm the best.

6. Turtle Power

Ratings:
    +302 / 0 / -0
    There she is, the gauges are real-life size, and it is immersive as hell. I love it. (Note that this is a 9-inch screen for the dashboard and it is fantastic to look at). Immersion level up!

20210928_122320 (Large).jpg
    20210928_123110 (Large).jpg

20210928_123718 (Large).jpg

• Like Like x 3
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2021
  7. ravey1981

ravey1981 Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +873 / 0 / -0
    A bit big for me. I like 320 for touring cars and 300 for GT type cars. Could be good for historic cars though. It's a nice wheel for sure.

8. n01sname

n01sname Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +956 / 0 / -0
  9. Turtle Power

Ratings:
    +302 / 0 / -0
    Wow, this is expensive for the replica steering wheel. It's Better to buy the genuine/ original.

10. Wilko Jones

Wilko Jones Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +80 / 0 / -0
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2021
  11. Turtle Power

Ratings:
    +302 / 0 / -0
    130 EUR + postage + conversion rates = the cost is more than original.
    By the way, I would never buy replicas from cheap sellers. don't like to compromise on quality and feel.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Fleskebacon

Fleskebacon Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +258 / 0 / -0
    The Motamec steering wheels are good quality. I have a couple, they feel just as good as OMP and others, in my opinion. I also have a couple of OMP, Momo and Sparco wheels, but the only real difference I feel is that I know the Motamec is a copy. That feeling alone can be a reason good enough to buy the original at four times the cost.

13. Wilko Jones

Wilko Jones Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +80 / 0 / -0
    I see. I cannot argue against your opinion on that. I feel the same way, but not with steering wheels for sim racing. :D

Although for me, the Fanatec wouldn't cost much more then the asking price, because the company has a distributor in the US. If that wasn't the case, then the price would need to include duty fees as well, making it just as pricy as the Prototipo. So I get what you're saying.