I switched to iRacing, but I still have lots of love for Raceroom.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Turtle Power, Nov 10, 2021.

1. Turtle Power

Turtle Power Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +302 / 0 / -0
    Before you read below, please note that this is not about switching sides or favouring one sim title over the other. Instead, I want to be clear, 100% honest and share my opinion with you guys.

Why iRacing:
    In short words, iRacing made a few improvements from the FFB to the graphics and performance. I was not too fond of iR driving experience in the past, but thankfully it has been worked on and improved greatly. In addition, the new UI is brilliant and a game-changer. Finally, we don't have to deal with their old stupid web-based interface. It wasn't very pleasant.
    An iR licence system and the online experience is unparalleled, and it feels so alive. You are never alone, and there are thousands of players online. So I can set my goals and make things interesting or something to look forward to. The future of iRacing is there to stay for good by the look of it.
    Furthermore, Simvibe for iRacing is flawless. It offers so many options, and it feels very accurate. Laser scanned tracks are impressive, and there are plenty of cars to choose from. As a result, I feel more confident about the future and support.
    There is more, but I am not going to drag this post.

Why less or not Raceroom:
    Even though I still admire Sector 3 devs and have lots of love and passion for Raceroom, unfortunately, it feels very limited due to a poor online experience. Moreover, the main focus seems to be Europe. Trying to join EU servers is impossible (if you live outside the EU). For instance, ping issue, getting kicked and once again, not many players online. My region is Oceania, and I consider myself lucky to see one or two players in the lobby. However, the single-player mode is still the best and fun to race, but this excitement is short-lived as most of us-eventually, have or will have a desire to race real people online. Sadly, Raceroom is not attracting many new players and not keeping the current ones either.

I hope for the better.

Love you all.

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. Super Nova

Super Nova Member

Ratings:
    +22 / 0 / -0
    If we are there its because we like this game and its good that you give your opinion.
    I would never understand why there are so many people on iracing knowing that its subscription and relatively expensive.
    I will never put 1cts in a game that doesnt allow you to use its cars offline if you dont have the renewed subscription.
    Afterwards I don't think that the low players base of R3E is due to the multi because after iracing I find that its the best on the market. I think the problem elsewhere.
    First of all the communication which is quite closed. Devs rarely respond to requests and release stereotypical touring content.
    Then the overall aspect of the software which is old (no day-night cycle, no rain, even less dynamic weather), an old car park with big gaps especially for lmp1 / lmp2 / GTE endurance.
    Then the solo that I find particularly bad without any immersion (where ils the DTM experience ?) No career mode...

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. 16sth

16sth Member

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0
    iRacing is the king of online but it's had 13 years virtually undisputed. If any game wants to steal its crown they have to do two things in my opinion. They've been discussed to death. What I don't think the answer is, is to say "that's the way iRacing does it, so we are."
    As for Oceania there is activity in AusNZ on discord. Some are on weekly ranked right now but they are mostly over the GT3/4 roster as that's very eurocentric. There is a weekly Sunday race. Tuesday Thunder and the occasional one off series. Unfortunately for me, being in QLD, the times just don't fit for me, so I very seldom take part. Plus, up until recently servers were based out of Singapore and there was a lot of game crashes. And I mean a lot. They moved the servers to Sydney and it's been better. Not perfect. Just better. But if the ranked servers aren't utilised I can see them being pulled as it just won't be worth it for R3E/S3. Aus races have had success joining US servers.

4. Hendrick

Hendrick Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +64 / 0 / -0
    iRacing has been doing this for well over a decade before anyone put that into perspective. They are well established and developed in that online area. Remember rFactor 2 competition system, R3E beta multiplayer are all new in the market and work in progress. AMS 2 will introduce its ranking system soon. Everyone is playing catchup. I do not see any of theses having much of an online userbase as you want. R3E/S3 need to focus on getting the game to DX11/12. I have been gaming all my life so I'm ok with the graphics but the current state will not attract/sustain new users given what other sims offer. The free to play model hits a hard rock because there is nothing to "wow" you with the look of the game. As for iRacing...........well we all saw how badly it got exposed across events past year. I will never pay that lot for stuff I will never get to play offline without subscription. No sim is perfect, pick your poison and live with it.

5. Vale

Vale Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +279 / 0 / -0
  6. BreadedVirus

BreadedVirus Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +70 / 0 / -0
    I looked up the numbers last night and AM2 is below RRE and that’s a $60 game with all the bells and whistles when it comes to graphics and weather options….

RRE must be doing something right and that’s why I support them. Great content not to be found anywhere else.

Yes dynamic weather etc would be fantastic, but I’m pretty sure it’ll happen.

• Agree Agree x 1
    Last edited: Nov 10, 2021
  7. Badgerous

Badgerous Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +223 / 0 / -0
    Absolutely, and this turns me right off. I have a lot of love for RRE, AMS2, and iRacing, but I'm mainly an offline racer. I spent a fair bit on several cars with iRacing as I started to really enjoy their new AI system, but then my sub ran out.. It was a hard choice, but I just couldn't justify that ongoing expense given the slice of time it was getting along with the other sims..

It's a real shame as their engine is probably my favorite in VR, and with some tweaks I had no issue with their FFB. I'd have happily slowly added to my car roster, but the additional subscription to use them can sod right off.

8. Kabanito

Kabanito New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Where does this screenshot come from?
    In AC 4K and ACC 1K? Where is it?

9. Vale

Vale Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +279 / 0 / -0
    It´s from Steam DB. You can compare any games you want. I left out F1 2020 and AMS2, which would be polar extremes. It´s amazing how popular AC is. No idea what figures iracing has in terms of subscribers.

Dynamic weather has nothing to do with DX9, F1gp 3 had it in 1998 on DOS and GTR2 also had it.

• Like Like x 2
  10. Maskerader

Maskerader Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +356 / 0 / -0
    Agree. And something like different air/track temperatures at different times of day and dynamic track conditions wouldn't even require any graphical updates, I think.

• Like Like x 2
  11. Kabanito

Kabanito New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Twitch
    Assetto Corsa - 73 Viewers
    Assetto Corsa Competizione - 584 Viewers

12. Turtle Power

Ratings:
    +302 / 0 / -0
    Fair call if you say that iRacing is expensive. Sure it is, BUT a subscription is worth it for racing online. As I mentioned before, the single-player mode in RR is great. Eventually, sim racers will attempt to join online to feel the thrill. And when they do, they won't find much happening in RR. I have been playing RR for two years religiously. Unfortunately, the single-player mode becomes pointless after a while.

13. BreadedVirus

BreadedVirus Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +70 / 0 / -0
    I have been playing RR for 3 years and all of that apart from a few races have been offline. I tried iRacing and yes it is good, but i am not willing to pay a monthly fee to play a game and then pay for content that i have no access to unless i pay a subscription.

Yes RR is not as big as iRacing, but that does not mean it is better or worse, at the end of the day it's whatever makes you and others happy.

Enjoy iRacing and be safe...

• Like Like x 1
  14. Super Nova

Super Nova Member

Ratings:
    +22 / 0 / -0
    I don't see what you think is great about R3E solo. Its s basic very basic even. No career mode, no Official championships, no stats, no trophies, no achievements Etc ... The solo of the sims on the market is very bad on the whole everything is done for multiplayer. Again I don't believe r3e should copy iracing as they don't have the same resources. There are a lot of offline players it's a shame not to capitalize on them

15. anno900

anno900 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +47 / 0 / -0
    Racing against AI is simply fun as the AI is pretty good (once you have found the right level). I don't care about career mode (even hate such kindergarden stuff, where you always have to win to proceed). I can put the official championships together on my own (ok rule set is somethimes missing). Stats could be more but bettered in the past. Virtual trophies... I don't care. I have enough real life trophies from real sport ;-)

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. Turtle Power

Ratings:
    +302 / 0 / -0
    AI is great as in smart and it's fun to race against it especially for the casual sim racers.

17. Gazza

Gazza Member

Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0
    I love this game, but I play mainly online so iracing for me, I just love racing real people and the jeopardy that if you mess up you ruin someone else's evening so possibly like a more lifelike scenario.
    I also think that iracing is expensive, but for me it's worth it:)
    By the way new members get 50% off and if your already a member you get 25% off subscriptions for black friday:)

18. Hendrick

Hendrick Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +64 / 0 / -0
    Lets get a few things clear:
    -Offline vs Online is simply down to user preference. None is superior to the other. Just because one races offline it does not make them any less of a sim driver. That thought really has to stop.
    -R3E/S3 has by far the best real like racing AI. Meaning its a great alternative to online. Considering online open lobbies are a mess. What's the motivation of playing ranked when you get wrecked in turn 1? Or get taken out by dirty drivers? Online should be lets race and have fun type of environment not a win at all cost.
    -R3E/S3 need to evolve their online ranked system. A weekly schedule is fine but allow for track rotations. Being stuck with the same car/track combo all week is not interesting.
    -That is also why most people move to league racing events. Its officiated. There are serious consequences for all drivers, there are points/championships, you get to race a community of serious sim racers, you get to know their driving styles and so on. But league racing has a dedicated weekly event. Its not a 24/7 thing.
    -If online only is what you want then its iRacing for you and should be worth it.
    -Sim racing does not need career mode........waste of time and resources.
    -I got R3E premium pack last summer sale for €50 (50 tracks, 184 cars). How much will all content on iRacing cost me plus subscription?

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  19. Maskerader

Maskerader Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +356 / 0 / -0
    That sure is debatable.

Not sure there's anyone claiming that in this thread, but anyway it got me thinking that the idea of "converting" offline players to online players might not be a good one. I mean from a player's satisfaction point of view.

20. Nik Johnson

Nik Johnson New Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Hello, everyone!
    For me raceroom is only single player mode. I respect online racers, for example I like the videos of the races from the channel La Broca Sim. But for a complete thrill I race in offline custom championships and I would not want the developers to be completely focused on online.
    I would be glad if a little entertaiment was added offline. Simple career mode can be.
    For example in the nascar heat series a simple and fun career mode. But I don't know how much labor it takes for developers.
    Anyway, offline in raceroom is better than in any sim.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2