Question Can't get into Raceroom

Discussion in 'Community Support' started by Nash Bobo, Dec 20, 2021.

1. Vale

Vale Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +278 / 0 / -0
    I think the issue is caused by having steam on the f drive. I have the same setup as you however installed steam with windows on the c drive and all the games on the f drive. To do this you need to add the f drive to steam as the default location for games. Try putting steam on c drive and let us know if it solves it. If it doesn´t then try moving RRE to the c drive too - you should have space on a new PC.

tutorials.

https://www.businessinsider.com/how-to-move-steam-games-to-another-drive
    https://help.steampowered.com/en/faqs/view/4BD4-4528-6B2E-8327

Steam is tiny in comparison to games. It should take minutes to install and seconds to uninstall on a rig like yours.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2021
  2. majuh

majuh Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +257 / 0 / -0
    Yes, I would install Steam on C:\ and create a Steam library for the games on F:\. This way, it should work and you don't need a lot of space on C:\.

3. Nash Bobo

Nash Bobo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +386 / 0 / -0
    majuh,(reply # 19) I barely know what permissions is. What difference does it make? Right now I have 475G on my C:. Any benefits to put Steam and Raceroom together or just no real benefit. Or Keep them separated in different folders. In the pass I have put everything together.

----------------------------------------

Vale, I can not explain why Steam took so long to uninstall. I assumed that steam was a very large file. I will install steam on C: and let you know. What benefit is there by putting steam with windows?

"Nash"

4. Vale

Vale Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +278 / 0 / -0
    It´s all about permissions and housekeeping. As a general rule, programs usually work better on C drive with windows and other drives are best used for storing data and in this case games since they launch from steam.

There are mutiple reasons and also exceptions but some programs are intended by the developer to run only on c (or boot drive) and will cause problems if put somewhere else, same as windows needs a boot drive to run.

The benefit of using two drives is if windows craps itself then you don´t need to reinstall all your games and data again, just programs.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2021
  5. Maskerader

Maskerader Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +352 / 0 / -0
    That should be more than enough for Raceroom, which is about 50GB.

6. Nash Bobo

Ratings:
    +386 / 0 / -0
    I have gone to settings/downloads but my storage manager will not let me select my raceroom folder on C:. I have desided to put Steam in one folder and Raceroom in another folder on C:. Is that wise? The Raceroom folder will not show up in my storage manager when I go to the 3 dots on the right and try to select my raceroom folder.
    "Nash"
    Steam6.jpg

7. Vale

Vale Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +278 / 0 / -0
    Sounds good. Can you run the game now?

8. Maskerader

Ratings:
    +352 / 0 / -0
    Not very convenient, but that should work anyway.

9. Nash Bobo

Ratings:
    +386 / 0 / -0
    The storage manager WILL NOT give me my Raceroom folder on C: has you can see in the pic. I'm still not there yet. How do I get the storage manager let me select my Raceroom folder on C:? I can go to the three dots on the right side and it shows my C: drive with my Raceroom folder but WILL NOT let me select it and put it in the storage manager.

Maskerader, "not very convenient"?. How would you do it for convenience and why? Place Raceroom on F:?
    "Nash"
    Steam7.jpg

10. Vale

Vale Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +278 / 0 / -0
    RRE folder on c seems to be empty. Is that true? If you click right mouse on the folder and properties what does it say?

If you try installing the game from steam as per option in first screenshot what happens?

Can you click on content libraries and have it display your steam library locations and take a screenshot of that?

11. Nash Bobo

Ratings:
    +386 / 0 / -0
    Vale, yes, Raceroom is empty. That is were I want the download to go until I hear from "Maskerader" maybe for a more convenient way he leads us to believe he has in reply #28.

right click on "install", nothing. left click it gives me the option of putting it in my steam folder or on my D: drive, see pic. If I click on content libraries, I get my storage manager. If I click on the 3 dots I get my drives but will not let me select and put them in my storage manager see pics in reply # 29. It will not let me select or I have not learned how. I have tried everything I know how in the last pic, up in reply #29. It could be something I am overlooking, but what?
    Right click on Raceroom folder to get properties', just give me the details of the Raceroom folder (see pics).

Thanks for hanging in there with me.

"Nash"

steam8.jpg

Last edited: Dec 23, 2021
  12. Nash Bobo

Ratings:
    +386 / 0 / -0
    If I click on the plus sign right of my Drives in Storage manager (pics 4 & 5 in reply # 29), I get "Add a new steam library folder". If I click on that, It goes to "External E....".
    If I click on the " External E:.... ", drop down box. It goes to, "let me choose another location". If I click on that, It just goes back to " Add a new steam library folder". I'm just going in circles. See pics below.

"Nash"
    steam9.jpg

13. Vale

Vale Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +278 / 0 / -0
    That´s strange. As I am not on W11, there is not much I can do to help other than recap the situations for someone else to add 2 cents or you to tell us if it is correct or I messed something up

• you got a new pc with w11 on c and had steam and games including rre installed on another physical drive.
    • it all worked fine till the last game update on Saturday.
    • the update did not go through and now you can´t run the game. Other games worked fine and so did steam
    • we suggested putting steam on c drive, you did this, wiped the other steam installation and are definitel opening the new one on c drive and not the link to the steam on another drive.
    • you still have all the rre files in a folder on the other physical drive but can´t get steam on c: to link to that drive or even create a new one and install the game on c drive.
    • you can run steam fine on the c drive and other steam games still launch fine (if not, try downloading a free steam game like project torque and see what happens)
    • steam and games take extremely long to install in general - this is a red flag.
    • I am assuming your storage manager is the W11 equivalent of windows file explorer and not some third party app.
    Do you still have your old PC? Did you update RRE on that machine and does it work?
    If so, you could try putting that pc´s hd in your new computer and running steam/RRE from it after you boot up the system or even using it as a boot drive instead of your new pc´s hard drive (might not work and might overwrite drivers and suchlike in the second case so proceed at your own risk or get someone who knows how to do it to help onsite)

14. Maskerader

Ratings:
    +352 / 0 / -0
    Then do it. Steam is installed on C:, right? You have 400GB of free space on C:, that's more than enough for Raceroom.

I don't understand what you're trying to do with storage manager. This is not a tool with which you install and uninstall you games, it's only to add and remove additional Steam folders.

- If you want to install Raceroom on C: then install it in Steam folder on C: by clicking "Install" on Raceroom in your library in Steam program, and selecting C:\Steam\Steam2 as an install folder.
    - If you want to install Raceroom on F:, then add a new Steam folder on F: (through storage manager), go to Raceroom page in your library and click "Install", then select this folder on F: as an install folder.

There's not much reason to create yet another Steam folder on C: in addition to Steam's main folder, it just creates even more confusion.

15. Maskerader

Ratings:
    +352 / 0 / -0
    - Steam lost permission to write in F:\Steam where the game was installed, and that's where all the problems started. To me it looks like it's not the game that broke, but it's a Steam and/or Windows problem.

Unfortunately I don't know what to do with it, I have no experience.

16. majuh

majuh Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +257 / 0 / -0
    Steam probably won't offer you F:\ for a new library because it's not allowed to write files there for whatever reason. I would either install it on C:\ or on E:\ if you want to use your external drive.

17. Nash Bobo

Ratings:
    +386 / 0 / -0
    Vale, point #1 (P1) I only had one game that is Raceroom. When I said games up in reply # 20, I meant Games in general. Not that I have more games on my computer or drives.

(P2), True statement.

(P3) True that the updates did not go through. Not true that I have more games. I have no games in my computer.

(P4) True statement. When I uninstall Steam on my thumb drive F: The Windows uninstall program took Steam & Raceroom out of my thumb drive F: Raceroom was in my Steam folder on F: Then I made a new empty Steam Folder on C: & made a new empty Raceroom folder on C:. Believing and trying to put Steam in One folder on C: & putting Raceroom in another folder on C: Keeping them separated. So, if one craps out, it will not hurt the other.

(P5) False, there is no more Raceroom on my F: drive or anywhere in my computer. I believe that is why it took so long to uninstall Steam because it also took Raceroom. Raceroom was in my Steam folder on F:. I only have Steam on my C: drive now. There is no Raceroom on my computer, thumb drives E:, F:. I took the thumb drives (E: & F: drives) off my old computer and put them on my new computer.

(P6) Steam is running fine on C:. There are no other games on my computer, thumb drives etc.

(P7) Steam & Raceroom will take a long time to download, not because of the computer, but because of the download speed. See pic #2 in reply #31.

(P8) True statement.

Thumb drives are portable media. You can take them with you. Interchange from one computer to another.

-------------------------------------------
    Maskerader, Storage Manager shows my drives available to put Raceroom on. Storage manager will not show my thumb drives (E: & F: I am trying to get Storage manager to show my thumb drives. It will only show me C: & D:. Storage manager will also not show me the folders on C: & D:, only the drives themselves. I would like Storage manager to show the folders on C: so, I can point it to my empty Raceroom Folder on C:. Steam is only giving me the option of putting Raceroom in my Steam2 Folder or on my D: drive. But remember I/we are trying to keep Raceroom separate from Steam not in the same folder on C:. Steam will not let me do it my/our way. Steam's main folder is where the steam setup is. Steam will not let me put Steam in a folder with something else or where the setup is. So, I made Steam2 inside steam for the steam files to download into.

------------------------------------

majuh, Steam will only let me install on C: or D:. Steam's preferred route is showing me Steam2 on C: to install Raceroom with the steam files.

"Nash"

18. Maskerader

Ratings:
    +352 / 0 / -0
    Install it on D: then, it has a lot of free space.

If during the installation it doesn't offer you the option to choose D:, then go to Storage Manager, click on "(+)" and create a folder there, something like D:\SteamGames\.

Then you should be able to choose it during the installation and hopefully it'll work.

19. Vale

Vale Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +278 / 0 / -0
    Ok so now we are getting somewwhere, If you only play RRE then either do what Mask says or just put it all on the c drive as you have ample space. steam can also uninstall games for your from the library option rather than using windows storage manager. To uninstall steam in the future there is a file that does that in c:/program files(x86)/steam/uninstall.exe.

One other issue is why your Steam download speed is so slow as this is a shame with such a good new system and could impact your game playing experience. RRE should take 10-15 minutes to install from zero with a normal connection and depending on steam server trafic.
    Can you run a speedtest.com and post resultsas it might just be a one off slow steam day? Are you using wifi or ethernet cable?

Might be worth installing a free steam game wthat uses less space first just to test if it works e.g. project torque as that will save time - you might even like it!

Last edited: Dec 24, 2021
  20. Nash Bobo

Ratings:
    +386 / 0 / -0
    I'm putting everything on C: Steam states, I'm downloading at about 415 KB per second right now. It states it will be done in 24 hours. I'm using Ethernet.

Vale, to download 50 GBs in 10 or 15 minutes, WOW! That is massive bandwidth in the states.

"Nash"