Question Can't get into Raceroom

Discussion in 'Community Support' started by Nash Bobo, Dec 20, 2021.

1. Andi Goodwin

Andi Goodwin Moderator Beta tester

Ratings:
    +790 / 0 / -0
    My record is 6 minutes , when i had a full fibre connection
    It would have been faster but steam wasnt happy
    Andi

2. Vale

Vale Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +278 / 0 / -0
    I have 600Mb upload and download, which is average nowadays but even then Steam never goes that fast and frequently stops and starts. Downloading an Nvidia driver takes me about ten seconds so theoretically Raceroom would take 6 minutes or so if it was a just a download in perfect conditions.

What is your normal speed on speedtest? If it is much quicker then you might have some sort of issue with Steam regarding throttling your connection, which is never good.

Last edited: Dec 24, 2021
  3. Nash Bobo

Nash Bobo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +386 / 0 / -0
    Gee, you guys are lucky. They say average for the states is 10 MB's per sec. But I never seen 10MB's here. I live way out in the country. Steam states It is still downloading at about 410KB. It sounds like your country's Internet system is better than ours. But I am back in the country. It most likely better in the city. It's always been this way here. I on DSL. 560 KB on the test.

"Nash"

4. fischhaltefolie

fischhaltefolie Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,037 / 0 / -0
    Sometimes it helps to choose Peru as download region in steam setting download.

5. Nash Bobo

Ratings:
    +386 / 0 / -0
    What kind of download speeds do you have in Peru? This is what I am doing in Northeast South Carolina US.

"Nash"
    band.jpg

6. Vale

Vale Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +278 / 0 / -0
    I think it was a joke suggestion as sometimes changing download server in steam gives faster downloads but not if the problem is your connection. When the game is finally installed I suggest copying the folder to your d or f drive as a backup so as not to have to go through such a long download if in the future you lose your c drive or something goes wrong.

7. fischhaltefolie

fischhaltefolie Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,037 / 0 / -0
    @Nash Bobo , sorry, it was not meant as a joke. I didn't read the thread carefully and just wantrd to give a hint.:oops:

8. Nash Bobo

Ratings:
    +386 / 0 / -0
    That alright. I do a lot of teasing to my friends around the world and I sometimes am taken the wrong way also. My teasing is meant for terms of endearment to show I like them. Just talking with people from around the world that were born, raised and different than me. I am just an old cowboy from South Dakota that was transplanted to South Carolina in the states. I do wish I had those Internet speeds those guys are talking about. But the game and other stuff works fine on what I can get from my Internet provider. This download is the third time I have had to do this since April of 2020. I am into this download for about 20 hours now. it said in the lower left-hand corner about 10 and a half hours to go.

"Nash"
    download2.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  9. Nash Bobo

Ratings:
    +386 / 0 / -0
    Ok, the download is done. 50.6 GBs in 32 hours and 43 minutes at an average speed of 408KBs. It's on C: drive in a Steam Folder with the Steam download together. Steam/Raceroom has installed it. I have not played it yet. I want to hear your thoughts on backing this up. Through Steam's web site, Copy & paste on a thumb drive or D: drive, Let win 11 back it up etc. Your tips, do's and don'ts etc.

"Nash"

10. Vale

Vale Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +278 / 0 / -0
    SInce you have so many drives and your internet sucks, maybe clone or make an ISO of your full c drive so if you have any issues in the future you don´t need to download windows patches etc. I am sure there are plenty free ISO creator programs available.

Another thing I´d do is copy the entire steam apps folder from c to d to have a game back up. Once you have configured the game to your liking in terms of keybinds and graphis settings then rememember to make a copy of your c: documents/raceroom folder too.

11. Maskerader

Maskerader Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +352 / 0 / -0
    This. Simple and will do the job.

His internet doesn't suck so much, it's 1.5GB per hour. It's not like windows patches would need another 30 hours to download.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2021
  12. Vale

Vale Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +278 / 0 / -0
    For 2001 it would be Ok, not 2021. One thing I forgot to suggest was to use one of the usb drives to make a windows media creation tool that way he has the possibility to clean install or reinstall windows at his pleasure and with only the need to download it the first time.

13. Maskerader

Ratings:
    +352 / 0 / -0
    It's not fast, sure, but for someone as inexperienced in PCs as Nash it would probably be easier to wait a few hours while it does all the job automatically, rather than 1) learning how a new feature works, 2) searching for a program for it, 3) doing it, and 4) repeating it a couple years later when he needs to reinstall Windows.

Don't laptops have hidden disk partitions for that?

14. Nash Bobo

Ratings:
    +386 / 0 / -0
    Speaking more about Internet speeds. My Internet speed in my area is advertised as 8 MB per sec. I did not see those speeds from Steam or from my Internet provider on that download. But YouTube, Raceroom, etc work without problems, buffering etc. so I'm happy. I pay 60 US dollars/about 53 euros a month for my Internet. This speed test was taken after the Steam download. But, I still didn't get that.

capture.jpeg

What you call poor Internet speed and what you call good Internet speed is relevant to what you are used to. We have 3 choices in my area for the Internet. Dial-up, Satellite and DSL. DSL is the best I can do. Satellite is #2 Dial-up is last. Major businesses and governments have super-fast speed because they feel they need it. But a house-hold customer is not offered, and the price, WOW. News reports say the US falls behind the rest of the western world on Internet speed.

This past year we had a kid problem. Because of covid, kids had to get their school lessons done by Internet/zoom and they could not, because no Internet or very poor Internet or kids just did not have computers. That even goes for some colleges also. Parents were complaining.

Then there are the cell phone services. You get too far out in the country you don't have too much cell service, It is very spotty around me. In the Midwest where I am from (South Dakota, 50 miles/81 KM northeast from MT. Rushmore) very little cell phone service outside the city. The Midwest is farm country. From Texas to Canada. Mostly real big farms in the middle of our country. My neighbor was 10 miles/16KM from me out in South Dakota. Straight highways with very, very few people. The point is if you do not have very many people, companies will not build the Internet or cell phone service. Some people around me do not have cell phones or the Internet. The US is not the best country for cell or Internet compared to others.

Thank you, guys, for the help and advice on the back up.

"Nash"

Last edited: Dec 27, 2021
  15. Vale

Vale Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +278 / 0 / -0
    Yes, this is the penalty for clean air! Million dollar question - is the game updated and running now?

16. Maskerader

Ratings:
    +352 / 0 / -0
    Megabyte (MB) or megabit (Mb)? The latter is more realistic for DSL.

You did. Your 408 KB/s in Steam is pretty correspondent with 3.3 Mbps (megabit per second) from Speedtest.

17. Nash Bobo

Ratings:
    +386 / 0 / -0
    Vale, everything is working great. Just like it did, before it turned south on me. Copied and pasted the backup to my D:. That is the easiest for me.

Maskerader, thanks for the info.

“Nash”

• Winner Winner x 1
  18. Vale

Vale Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +278 / 0 / -0