Problem VR doesn't start properly

Discussion in 'Community Support' started by MrD4rius, Jan 12, 2022.

1. MrD4rius

MrD4rius New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hello,
    I have a Reverb G2 and try to start RRRE through steam VR. The game loads, but it's a) not visible in my VR glasses, and b) only tiny in the upper left corner on my main screen, making it impossible to navigate or click anything (mouse movement is not aligned to window size). I tried with and without "-vr" in the steam launch options. The non-vr and menu resolution is set correctly, so there is no reason I can see why the window is tiny and on the wrong screen...

It worked a week ago, not sure if some update might be a reason. I saw a post from some years ago, an oculus user having the same problem. Anyone knows what it is and how to fix it?

Screenshot from main screen attached.

Attached Files:

2. SchlesiM

SchlesiM Active Member

Ratings:
    +30 / 0 / -0
    Try to assign a button to reset VR position and press that button after you loaded RR in VR (I think first you have to do one mouseclick to close the start screen before repositioning is possible).

Maybe it also is possible to reset the position in StreamVR.

RR often isn't positioned correctly under VR and unfortunately there isn't an automatic resposition function (like it exists in ACC after one of the recent updates).

3. MrD4rius

MrD4rius New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Thanks! I will try that. But as described, the game never comes to VR. In Steam VR I see the "next up" in the waiting sphere. Steam VR recentering doesn't change anything. I'm sceptical what recentering would help, but i'll give it a try to assign an ingame button.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2022
  4. SchlesiM

SchlesiM Active Member

Ratings:
    +30 / 0 / -0
    Another attempt would be to try to start RR in VR directly via commandline:
    "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steam.exe" -applaunch 211500 -vr

Or (additionally using resolution scaling and OtterHUD) like this:
    "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steam.exe" -applaunch 211500 -vr 2.0 -webdev -webHudUrl=https://otterhud.github.io/

5. MrD4rius

MrD4rius New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I will try that later today. Thanks for your suggestions!

6. MrD4rius

MrD4rius New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    So: not sure if that was exactly what you suggested, but at least it inspired me, to start the game from outside of Steam VR, but from the desktop Steam application. It worked and the game starts in VR :)

7. MrD4rius

MrD4rius New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Nooo!!! Problem is back! I have no clue why it worked this one time, I cannot reproduce! This is quite frustrating! My feeling is, that the game gets confused on which of the screens is the correct screen to stream the menu to. (When VR is connected, there is 4 screens) I tried to find my way to click to get ingame and it crashed. But I don't find the crash report anymore, where is it saved?

Edit: Found the crash report! Documents/My Games/SimBin/Crash Dumps
    It's encrypted so I'm not sure if I share some data I wouldn't want to share but is there a way to share it with the devs to see the problem?

8. SchlesiM

SchlesiM Active Member

Ratings:
    +30 / 0 / -0
    It's normal with WMR to have 4 screens defined, that shouldn't be the problem.

I have a G2 and don't use the SteamVR UI at all. Instead I just start all Sims from the WMR home (aka "cliff house") using commands (in cmd files) like shown above. Maybe worth a try.

9. MrD4rius

MrD4rius New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Will try that! It must have worked somehow yesterday :D

Only can always look at it in the evening again, but will get back

10. MrD4rius

MrD4rius New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Update: Nothing helps...

So call me crazy, but I say there is a bug, that under some weird circumstances the game doesn't start in VR properly...

Other things I tried were assigning Screen 2 as the main screen and running the game in window mode. It just does the same thing, that on my desktop monitor the main menu starts in the upper left corner, tiny, unclickable, see screenshot in first post.

11. MrD4rius

MrD4rius New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Ok, new update: it works again after I reduced the application specific resolution im SteamVR back to 100%... so that might be the reason! I shall see if the problem comes back