Is it possible to have pure practice mode for setup adjustments

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Taylan Benker, Jan 15, 2022.

1. Taylan Benker

Taylan Benker New Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Although default setups are very drivable, they still need adjustments. Lack of tyre blankets makes it a pain for me. It takes so long to have them in range that adjusting each thing in setup menu takes ages.

Also in Practice mode i still need to have at least one AI driver. Is it possible to have a fully empty track and already heated tyres. In many sims, time trial mode usually resets damages and tyre temps after each lap that it makes adjusting setups easier.

If there is a similar mode in RR, i can not find it yet. :oops: Any suggestions?

2. Peter Koch

Peter Koch Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +191 / 0 / -0
    You don't need AI in pratice mode.

Most cars still have pre-headed tyres, Like the GT3/GT4. Oly those who have it in real life, will have heated tyres..

3. Nico Kunze

Nico Kunze Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +396 / 0 / -0
    As above you dont need any ai at all in a practice session. Regarding the time trial mode, its what you can do on the "leaderboards". No damage, no fuel use, no tire wear and constant optimum tire temperatures (that does mean tho that i wouldnt use it to make any setups that id wanna use outside of hotlapping at the very least regarding camber and tire pressures but i dont use it for setup work at all)

4. Taylan Benker

Taylan Benker New Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    I thought leaderboards event is Part of ranked MP race. If you can run as much as you want without a rank penalty then it is what i was looking for.

Based on my experience with other sims, You can adjust setup for whatever race you want. You can adjust it for qualifying easily with low fuel load, more aggressive settings. For normal race you can add an approximate fuel for 10-15 laps, create a bit more stable setup. What you can not do is real fuel consumption test. Which you can go back to race mode and test both fuel consumption and setup. Come back to hot lap if you need to.

This is what i usually do in other sims.

5. Nico Kunze

Ratings:
    +396 / 0 / -0
    Those two are unrelated. Your multiplayer ranking and reputation only change when you run races on the marked ranked multiplayer servers. On the leaderboards you can simply hotlap and see how you compare to some other drivers
    Those things generally arent wrong but the fixed optimum tire temperatures can change the way the car feels. If you build your setup around that and then go back to a practice/race session the balance may be different or you may find youre burning through your tires or whatever. Thats why i dont use leaderboards for setup work but if you try it and it seems to work for you then all is good :D

6. Taylan Benker

Taylan Benker New Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    I am a 51 year old almost single dad of two teen boys and working 24 hr shifts every other day. I have 18 hrs at home in between shifts. Sleep 3x meal, 3x preparing meal for the boys to heat and eat next day, washing, house keeping, dishes sleep.

In my case, less time i spend on tuning means more time to practice and race.

7. azaris

azaris Active Member

Ratings:
    +33 / 0 / -0
    Never do setup work in the leaderboard mode if your plan is to race with those setups. The tyres there are set to total "simcade" mode with constant pressures and temperatures, even FWD cars have 85 C rear tyres and other nonsense.

8. ravey1981

ravey1981 Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +873 / 0 / -0
    Single player practice mode. It's literally what it's there for. It only takes a couple of laps to bring tyres up to temperature anyway.

9. Taylan Benker

Taylan Benker New Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    No Damage at all? In other sims damage and tyre wear are usually on but resets at each turn. If they are off, ıt is indeed hard to tell where you loose grip or where you drag, cambers etc.

Somewhere here Sector 3 mentions 3-4 laps for blanketed, and 6-8 for non- blanketed. In my experience it was even around 10.

An other thing i do not like non-blanketed tyres, Majority of the public lobbies started to prefer short sprint races and as far as i see it is the case here too at least for the races for beginners. The race is over before tyres reach the temp. The new comers already have difficulty racing clean, adding loss of grip due to cold tyres, they become twice dangerous. At least this this was the case for me in ACC lobbies after new tyre model which is harder to reach and keep at temp.

10. ravey1981

Ratings:
    +873 / 0 / -0
    No chance it takes 10 Laps. Cars that use tyre blankets in real life use them in game. Cars that don't, don't. It's a simulation.

11. Nico Kunze

Ratings:
    +396 / 0 / -0
    That definitely sounds very high. Id say after 2 maybe 3 laps they should be fine (also keeping in mind that were talking about a window not an exact number that has to be reached). Maybe the numbers you mention are how long you should drive before having a look at tire pressures because it takes those a while to stabilise
    I think even the cars without tire blankets dont start the race on completely cold tires to factor in a warm up lap that would usually happen in real life. Not 100% sure tho so maybe something to have a look at when you (or i) race the next time

• Like Like x 1
  12. ravey1981

Ratings:
    +873 / 0 / -0
    This is true. They are warm but not up to full temperature at the start of the race.

• Informative Informative x 1
  13. Nir Tal

Nir Tal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +53 / 0 / -0
    I was also looking for a hack for this setup building practice, and it was hard to do on the non-blanket cars. But i didnt thought about this semi-warmed tires in race...hmmm...thats a good idea - doing single-player session with 0 AIs and restarting the race each time I need another setup change.
    Thanks Nico for bringing that up :)

14. Nico Kunze

Ratings:
    +396 / 0 / -0
    Hadnt ever thought about using it like that but youre welcome i guess :D