Problem Opel Astra TCR scatching to much at ground

Discussion in 'Community Support' started by MC_Hammer_82, Jan 30, 2022.

1. MC_Hammer_82

MC_Hammer_82 Member

Ratings:
    +9 / 0 / -0
    Hello,
    I did a lot of laps with the Astra on Nordschleife. I found out, that it is hard for me to get the times I have with other WTCR and TCR cars.

I compared it with the Megane and Cupra (WTCR 2020) and with these cars and can get times around 8:43min on Nordschleife VLN without any problem (normal training, 25litres fuel).
    With the Astra I only get around 8:48min. I hear and feel the Astra much more scratching then the others. In some corners the car is sliding like there is no tiregrip (Fuchsröhre, Metzgesfeld, nearly every fast corner), there you here scratching all the time.

The ride height and springs of Astra and Megane are the same (8cm/100N/mm front, 8,5cm/80N/mm rear), but the Megane does not cratch that much. When I higher the ride height of the Astra it is getting better, and I also see it in better lap times, but it is still more then in Megane, even on max ride height.

I hope you can have a look at it.
    I think @Alex Hodgkinson is the right one to help?

• Informative Informative x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. MC_Hammer_82

MC_Hammer_82 Member

Ratings:
    +9 / 0 / -0
    Hi,
    I did some workaround to test my subjective feel about this problem.
    I used second monitor to have some telemetry and it says my feel was not bad.
    I tested the WTCR 2020 Megane and the TC Cup Astra on Stowe short, which is a flat and short track to get quick data of it.
    I put a zip with the second monitor data in here.
    Here are some graphs to show the problem:

Comparison Astra Standardsetup Megane Standardsetup.png
    Comparison Astra maxrideheight Megane Standardsetup.png
    Although the ride height is the same in standard setup (8cm front, 8,5cm rear) it differs about 20mm between the cars. The second picture shows the Astra with the highest possible ride height.

Attached Files:

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Alex Hodgkinson

Alex Hodgkinson KW Studios Developer

Ratings:
    +1,948 / 0 / -0
    What you're noticing is down to the different splitter setups of the cars.

Here we can see the bottom of the Megane splitter is higher than the bodywork behind the front wheels:

upload_2022-2-9_21-35-54.png

If we look at the Opel however, the splitter is lower than the bottom of rest of the bodywork:

upload_2022-2-9_21-37-8.png

Both cars have the same minimum ride height allowed by the BOP and similar spring/anti roll bar setups. So that naturally means the chances of the Opel splitter touching the ground is much higher than the Megane's.

4. MC_Hammer_82

MC_Hammer_82 Member

Ratings:
    +9 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for your answer.
    So the scratching comes from front splitter, I can see in the pictures, it makes sense.
    Where is the ride height be measured? At the edges of the car? I would like to understand why the telemetry says a difference of 20mm. Just because of the splitter, which is lower?