Question People with disabilities

Discussion in 'Community Support' started by Nash Bobo, Feb 14, 2022.

1. Maskerader

Maskerader Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +355 / 0 / -0
    Why this wheel? Isn't it more fun to use a FFB wheel? Is it a rare thing, a wheel rim with additional analog paddles?

2. DonaldD

DonaldD Member

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0
    Answers is in my posts above.
    Conserning fun then its not overly fun to be unable to use ones legs.
    But thank you for your questions.

3. Maskerader

Ratings:
    +355 / 0 / -0
    I mean there's an option to use a similar wheel rim (i.e. one with additional analog paddles) on a base with FFB and maybe have a better experience.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2022
  4. bubblejohns

bubblejohns Active Member

Ratings:
    +25 / 0 / -0
    i think we all really need to think about accessibility more just as people.

5. Nash Bobo

Nash Bobo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +386 / 0 / -0
    I find that every auto trans is a little different in each car. Like the Silhouette vs the M6 etc. I would like a RR auto trans to act like a real auto trans without the lag of RPMs between shifts. Not unless there are adjustments for it in advance controls I do not know about.

The left paddle for up shifting and the L2 button for down shifting works fine for me. Just have to practice with it some.

DonaldD, maybe you said but I didn't catch on it up in reply # 7. But how do you work your brake and gas controls without legs?

Thank you everyone for the help and your point of views

"Nash"

6. Maskerader

Ratings:
    +355 / 0 / -0
    You mean like an auto transmission with torque converter? I think it would come in conflict with realism and performance balance. One thing is when a game is doing gear shifts for you, another thing is changing the very mechanics of the gearboxes that are supposed to be simulated with some degree of accuracy.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2022
  7. Nash Bobo

Ratings:
    +386 / 0 / -0
    Yes Maskerader, that is what I mean. I don't know anything about what it would take to develop a trans like that in AI. Realism to me is an auto trans flows from one gear to another.

"Nash"

Last edited: Feb 28, 2022
  8. Maskerader

Ratings:
    +355 / 0 / -0
    But that's not the only type of automatic transmissions. Just because it's auto doesn't mean it must have a torque converter. Let alone if that "auto" is only a game assist.

9. Andi Goodwin

Andi Goodwin Moderator Beta tester

Ratings:
    +791 / 0 / -0
    Back reading , and not fully understanding , so correct me please
    Your driving with one hand one foot , so if its possible for you to use a paddle and a button , for up and down shift ,choose a button thats accesable and easy for your thumb to reach L2 maybe , decide which you want to do up or down shift , then click bind and press that button and then do the paddle to the other action

In game settings set it to manual/auto , (thats manual gear auto clutch ), this way you should be able to drive all cars even if the server is set to manual only

Andi

10. Vale

Vale Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +279 / 0 / -0
    The manual transmissions also vary. Some are faster to shift than others, LMP1s are super slow to downshift for instance.

Maybe you would do better with the electric cars as they don´t have gears.

11. Nash Bobo

Ratings:
    +386 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for the info. I didn't know transmissions could be so complicated and vary so much. Can servers in multiplayer be different also? I am finding that my controls act different on some servers. I find that if I get on servers other than rookie, the controls act a little different and I do not know if it's me or something else I do not understand. My times are better with a manual transmission. I find that I have trouble holding a constant speed with the throttle. It's ether accelerating or decelerating. But I can't hold a constant speed like going through the pits or going through corners. Don't know which slider setting in controls to work with. Can you help with that?
    Thanks
    "Nash"

12. FeltHλt

FeltHλt Moderator Beta tester

Ratings:
    +479 / 0 / -0
    You use plenty of additional assists, so its possible, that they are enabled on some and disabled on other servers, hence different experience. For constant speed in pits use pit stop speed limiter

13. Nash Bobo

Ratings:
    +386 / 0 / -0
    Mostly I was referring to holding certain speeds in a turn, chicanes, etc. I used to hold a steady speed going through chicanes but now it's up and down with the throttle trying to hold it.

"Nash"

14. bubblejohns

bubblejohns Active Member

Ratings:
    +25 / 0 / -0
    which combo of car and corner specifically, ill try and give a pointer

15. Maskerader

Ratings:
    +355 / 0 / -0
    Sounds like your problem with throttle is still there, no?

16. DonaldD

DonaldD Member

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0
    OK then Ill post the same pic from my post #7 again.
    There are 4 (four) paddles to control with your hands - so...

SRWFront+Rear30prc.jpg

17. michael Lapworth

michael Lapworth Member

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    With the Fanatec McLaren gt3 rim you can change up and down with the left paddle

18. Nash Bobo

Ratings:
    +386 / 0 / -0
    That's very interesting
    thanks Michael

"Nash"

19. Nash Bobo

Ratings:
    +386 / 0 / -0
    DonaldD, I do like that rum/wheel you showed me. I was just not paying that closes to the pic you put up in reply #7.

"Nash"

20. DonaldD

DonaldD Member

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0
    If you check the lower part of the pic then there are 4 paddles.
    The 2 upper (smaller ones) is for changing gears.
    And the 2 lower ones is analogue throttle and brake controllers.
    But to be able to use these 4 paddles then you have to be able to use both hands.
    But my thought was that you could combine your single pedal control with a single handcontrol.
    But maybe that is not flexible enough for you because that gives you only as an example a pedal throttle and a handcontrolled gear up and brake.
    But then you have no gear down.
    So maybe Michaels double function left paddle is a better idea.

• Like Like x 1