Ranked Racing Disappointing

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Biodroid79, Jan 15, 2022.

1. Vale

Vale Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +278 / 0 / -0
    The idea is to disqualify people who don´t respect track limits or crash a lot before the race to avoid them harming others in the race.

• Like Like x 1
  2. michael Lapworth

michael Lapworth Member

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    There should be a reporting system for deliberate crashers. I record all my races, I should be able to present evidence for that person to get a temporary ban

3. FeltHλt

FeltHλt Moderator Beta tester

Ratings:
    +478 / 0 / -0
    • Useful Useful x 1
  4. michael Lapworth

michael Lapworth Member

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
  5. Yossarian

Yossarian Member

Ratings:
    +15 / 0 / -0
    Situation from today: due to some bug, the game froze after qualifying on a ranked server. I was in the car, in the pits. I coudn't move, and couldn't even open the damn menu or exit to the garage. I had to do Alt+F4 just to restart the game. Result? -25 points dropped in rating and -8,2 dropped in reputation. All thanks to a stupid bug. Seriously, the race didn't even start. And now I can't even join a server with GTR3 cars, because thanks to this stupid bug, my reputation dropped below 80. It's currently 74. Which means I can't even build it back up because this week the ranked servers which don't have a reputation requirement, are set to content I don't own. This is a damn joke, and it isn't even a funny one. I spend time to build up reputation only for this stupid game to suddenly f*** itself up and throw it all out of the window. And then expect me to pay for a chance to get my rep back, because I don't own the content on the ranked servers without a rep requirement. Or wait for those servers to change to something I own. Well I definitely don't feel inclined to spend even a cent on a game that does such a thing, so waiting it is.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    Last edited: Apr 8, 2022
  6. ravey1981

ravey1981 Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +873 / 0 / -0
    How did you improve your reputation in the first place if you didn't own rookie content?

7. Nico Kunze

Nico Kunze Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +395 / 0 / -0
    Different car and track combos seems like the obvious answer? :D
    But yeah, the last 12 weeks the tracks on the rookie servers rotated through the free and starter pack tracks meaning sooner or later thered definitely be a track that yossarian owned. Car wise he could simply own either the tt cup, a gt4 car or the carrera cup classic and he wouldve been good to go the past 3 months. This week however the available combos are a lot more limited (probably due to the upcoming changes but chances are you know more about that than i do ;))

8. Yossarian

Yossarian Member

Ratings:
    +15 / 0 / -0
    I own the European tracks, have a GT4 Cayman and a NSU TTS (plus some Group A, GT3 and TCR cars, but those don't appear on the rookie servers). So when the rookie servers were on European tracks I basically could run a lot of races and build up my reputation even when it dropped significantly due to a similar bug (where the game just crashed to desktop mid-race). Now however I'm stuck with either having to wait or pay.

I mean I get that there is a mechanism to prevent rage-quits but I feel this does more to bash players with bad luck (those experiencing game crashes or people who get wrecked by someone) than those who would actually do rage quits. Besides: what's wrong with a rage quit? It makes more sense to quit a race that you have no chance of enjoying than to be forced to run it's whole distance due to this game threatening you with it's ranking system. I mean, ok, remove rating for DNFs but why reputation? If someone quits a race he's definitely not harming anyone. H's actually making sure he doesn't ruin someone's race.

Besides, as we can see, this game is currently too unstable to have such penalties for DNFs. Plus in real life no one penalizes anyone by banning them from races if they DNF.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  9. Vale

Vale Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +278 / 0 / -0
    I agree that rep should not take such a big hit if you choose to quit the game or get a DC. Say I crash on the first lap of a weekly 90 min race and get major suspension damage - I have to try to get back to the pits possibly endangering other players or crashing again and losing yet more rep, then spend several minutes having it fixed then have to do the race knowing I have 0 chance of getting any result and my rating is going to tank anyway, all just to avoid losing the right to participate in future races and having to grind away on rookie servers to get the rep back.

I can see a case where someone would ram others then immediately quit the race and be able to rinse and repeat only losing 4 points for the ramming incident eachh time, but it would impact on their rep in the long run.

10. Maskerader

Maskerader Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +352 / 0 / -0
    I agree with that. Cases where the system needs those 3 points to punish a ragequitter are very specific and rare. In all the other situations those 3 points are either a) punish those who aren't guilty, b) irrelevant because a ragequitter will already be punished enough by points from crashes/off-tracks; or c) irrelevant because the player has already driven enough distance to outweigh additional 3 points.

11. Stelcio

Stelcio Active Member

Ratings:
    +39 / 0 / -0
    Actually that's what happened to me some time ago. I crashed on a second lap of a 90 minute race, went to pits, repaired and went out to get to the finish line. I've managed to overtake two drivers over the course of the race, but still finished in a top half, on 11th place out of 23 cars (exactly where I started), because almost half of the drivers did not finish. This gave me both positive rating and reputation after the race. Admittedly it was a bronze server, but it shows that sometimes it does make sense to stay out and finish, if you have reasons to assume there will be more drivers crashing out.

That doesn't mean I support the penalty for disconnections, I actually don't. I've made @Yossarian 's point a few times, but some people are attributing some positive effects to that penalty, for some reason, wishful thinking probably.

12. Vale

Vale Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +278 / 0 / -0
    Right but that´s the principle of grinding round hoping others will fall out, like endurance racing. Not maybe the main reason for competing on multiplayer, unless I am mistaken.

13. Stelcio

Stelcio Active Member

Ratings:
    +39 / 0 / -0
    I didn't say that was the point, just that you can still manage to salvage such a race, when it happens. And for a 90 minute race I'd say the ability to overcome the random events and pace deficit with sound strategy and pure consistency is at least part of the point.