Question result file format

Discussion in 'Community Support' started by MaXyM, Jul 15, 2015.

1. MaXyM

MaXyM Member

Ratings:
    +9 / 0 / -0
    Hello
    Changelog of the last patch refers to result files in XML and json format.
    Could you please provide data format description?

Also I would like to ask for character encoding. Is it bullet-proof UTF-8 or depends in some way on locales (server, client-machines)?
    I'm asking for this based on my (not always good) experience with other titles. For example rf1 result files are declared as UTF8 XML, but may contain characters which are not re-encoded from client machine locale depending encoding to UTF8. Such inconsistencies may lead (and do) to breaking file parsing.
    I know a few ways how such characters may be transferred to result files (driver names, chat, car/tracks/names which depends on filenames).

With regards

PS. If Community Workshop subforum is more appropriate, please move this post there

Last edited: Jul 15, 2015
  2. Ryan Callan

Ryan Callan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +284 / 0 / -0
    It would also be helpful if display names, rather than usernames, were used in the results file. Makes it difficult for automatic parsing, as in GPCOS.

Obviously lots of data 'needs' to be added overall, rFactor (and therefore GSC) result files do a tremendous job, a level the RACE series never reached, it would be great to see that change for R3E. 'Sports' people love their statistics.

3. Ernie

Ernie Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +304 / 0 / -0
    Agree with that.

My friends at Racersleague.com are organizing a very first little season with R3E this summer. We race with real names only and then it's kinda confusing to have only the usernames in result files.

4. Sonat Ozturk

Sonat Ozturk Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,012 / 0 / -0
    Hi,

Yes it's UTF-8.

As the patchnotes stated, the first race reports are very basic and lack a lot of data. This is mainly because the implementations that required game support had to be delayed due to other priorities so we shared what we already had. Rest assured we will add numerous additional data based on not only what we think is needed but also what you guys think we should include.

Explanation on each data will be added here on forums (the thread that is linked in dedicated app as well via the question mark on top right) when we have more full race reports. Json doesn't support comments so adding descriptions inside the reports is a bit of a hassle.

• Informative Informative x 2
  5. MaXyM

MaXyM Member

Ratings:
    +9 / 0 / -0
    Thank you

6. MaXyM

MaXyM Member

Ratings:
    +9 / 0 / -0
    If I may give some suggestions, I would like to ask for following data:
    1. each driver end of race time, running since green, not since crossing Start line (I believe some titles from SBT like GTR, GTR2 have this bug)
    2. each driver detailed each lap data: start time, lap time, sector times, lap time validity
    3. time (since race start) in case of driver retirement.
    4. pit stops. It may be included into lap data but maybe it;s better to separate it as it may be confusing depending on whether pitbox is before or after S/F line
    5. pitstop info might be extended by information of actions taken like: which tyres has been changed.
    6. chat

All those data would be helpfull in case of custom league systems (like my SLS) with custom rules and penalties. For example requiremens 1-3 are needed to recalculate positions (after adding time time penalties). Some leagues require to perform mandatory pit stop(s), and sometimes even a time window plays a role. It could be covered by reqs 4-5

I just walked through a few result files collected on our dedicated server. I can see sessions are stored into single file. Please allow to save each session to separate file. A reason is that leagues have own schedule, not always following event format built-into the game. I found separate files more flexible and useful.

with regards

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    Last edited: Jul 16, 2015
  7. pixeljetstream

pixeljetstream Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +412 / 0 / -0
    another request: having the full track name as used in the raceroom website icon definition. Right now it's only "Mid Ohio" instead of "Mid Ohio - Full"

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Stefan Mizzi

Stefan Mizzi Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +625 / 0 / -0
    +1 Please! :)