Salzburgring AI

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by TinMan, May 9, 2022.

Tags:
  1. TinMan

TinMan New Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Hello, I was just racing with AI at Sazburgring and got very annoyed by seemingly very overpowered AI. I race witharound 102-103% AI strength, giving me a chance to win if I'm consistnent and don't do mistakes. At Salzburgring I find it impossible to match the AI pace in practice, qualifications or race, my pace is 0,8-1 sec off the worst and 3-3,5sec off the best AI driver. I find the AI cars to have way more grip when accelerating out of almost any corner, and insane grip on the fast right hander (turn 4) after the long back straight. AIs just whiz by on the second part of that corner regardless of their position - inside or on the outside of my car.
    Maybe it's my driving and car setup skill that's lacking, but considering I can hang on with AIs and compete for the win at the given AI strength on almost any other track that I own, I find the Salzburgring AI overpowered and would love to see some tweaking from the devs.
    edit: today I raced WTCR19s, but is also the same, say, with Audi TT Cup or KTM X-Bow.
    Regards, Jure

Last edited: May 9, 2022
  2. Hendrick

Hendrick Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +64 / 0 / -0
    They are mega fast on that track ;)

3. anno900

anno900 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +47 / 0 / -0
    I can confirm that as well and it is since the track has been released. It needs an AI tweak

4. Alwin Papegaaij

Alwin Papegaaij Member

Ratings:
    +9 / 0 / -0
    It is my experience that the AI's strength differs quite a lot between tracks.
    I'm running a championship with group 4 cars with the AI at 105%.
    At Raceroom raceway (full track; don't know the exact name) I was easily able to finish first.
    Then at Silverstone I barely made it into P5.
    Now at Spa I do a 2:43 low (there is a 2:42 low in it for mei think), but am still 0.7 off the pace compared to the second to last AI... More than 3 seconds off the pace to P1.

Salzburgring was also a track where the AI absolutely destroyed me...

At first I thought it was me, but reading this thread, maybe it is not:D

Last edited: May 10, 2022
  5. DrKarotte

DrKarotte Member

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    I think I can confirm this, too, even with my limited experience. Seems like the adaptive ai does not work (at least setting the starting strength), did a championship a while ago and on most tracks I was fighting midfield as usual with adaptive ai, but here I lost contact after just one lap. After that race I checked the laptimes, and the winner was faster than the best leaderboard entries, if I remember correctly (the leaderboard was quite pupolated then). Another problem on this track seems to be that quite often the ai cars create crashes in the first corner (maybe not all cars/classes).

6. Alwin Papegaaij

Alwin Papegaaij Member

Ratings:
    +9 / 0 / -0
    AI in the group 4 after the update is much better in terms of pace on Spa Francorchamps.
    Don't know if the pass was because of this thread, but: Thanks devs!

7. FeltHλt

FeltHλt Moderator Beta tester

Ratings:
    +479 / 0 / -0
    There was general gr4 ai tune up in the last update. This topic is about salzburg specifically- some calibrations happened, but im not sure, if they are in current build yet

8. Alwin Papegaaij

Alwin Papegaaij Member

Ratings:
    +9 / 0 / -0
    Ah, read it like it was for Spa specifically... But you're right.

True, should have made a new topic, but found it not to be a big enough message from my side to do so.
    Great to read that it's being looked into. Looking at the change log, I don't think it is in yet.
    Thanks for the reply

9. FeltHλt

Ratings:
    +479 / 0 / -0
    @TinMan salzburg changes are in, give it a try

• Informative Informative x 1
  10. Hendrick

Ratings:
    +64 / 0 / -0
    AI still too fast :(

• Funny Funny x 1
  11. FeltHλt

Ratings:
    +479 / 0 / -0
    interesting, what ai setting and combo did you try? gotta try it myself

12. Hendrick

Ratings:
    +64 / 0 / -0
    AI at 105 GT3. They still too fast on the straights. Similar issue at Dekra Lausitzring GP Course Oval T1. They do not lift on the banking turn one and blow past each lap. Please investigate.

13. TinMan

TinMan New Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Hello, I tried the new SZ AI as suggested by @FeltHλt. Here are my findings:
    - T1: AI brakes too early for T1 (chicane), I would gain 0.5-1 sec every lap; acceleration out of T1 is OK.
    - T2 (long slow right before the back straight) is also much better during cornering, they still have advantage exiting the corner - AI gains 0.2-0.3 sec after initial acceleration.
    - T4 (fast right -hander after back strait) is a great improvement, AI grip levels and speed seem quite normal now, if maybe a tad fast. But you gain back at braking for T5, so it evens out.
    - T6, 7 & 8:The left-right-left complex before start/finish strait is also better. AI speed is fine through corners, but they are still too fast exiting the last corner before finish strait- AI gains 0.3-0.5 sec
    - General pace of the AI still seems too fast by 1-1.5 sec. I qualified last on P26 (0.2 sec gap) and finished the race in P16, 5 pr 6 racing overtakes were mostly through T1 chicane & T2, and one braking for T5. The rest were gains through AI retirements (4 or 5) near the end of the race. That was actually quite cool, because they binned themselves at different parts of the track and not only in the chicane as previously...
    My best was 1:26:9, AI best lap was around 1:25:50.
    Cars: WTCR2019, AI 103%, practice, qualy 10min, race 20min, no pit stops
    Anyway, thanks for a nice update and hoping for more fine-tuning.
    Regards, TinMan

• Useful Useful x 1
    Last edited: May 23, 2022