Bug New Pit Limiter Bug

Discussion in 'Community Support' started by Joe Ore, Sep 15, 2021.

1. Joe Ore

Joe Ore New Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Hello

There is a new bug with the Pit limiter. With normal accelration the limiter is working well, but if you accelerate with spinning wheels the speed excites the limit up to 4 km/h, and you get drive through penalty. You can see it easy if there is a limit if 60 km/h. Detected with DTM2020 cars

Last edited: Sep 15, 2021
  2. S. FREDRIKSSON

S. FREDRIKSSON Active Member

Ratings:
    +31 / 0 / -0
    Is it really a bug? If you "floor it", no pit limiter in the world would be able to keep your speed under the limit.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  3. Joe Ore

Joe Ore New Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    A Pit limiter should handle this, if you look the most driver despatching the Pit slot with spinning wheels

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. S. FREDRIKSSON

Ratings:
    +31 / 0 / -0
    Spinning the wheels, while at slow speed, yes. But full throttle with grip is not what a pit limiter fixes.
    Are you saying that you get a penalty when spinning the wheels while under the speed limit, or that you get the penalty when accellerating hard with grip?

5. Joe Ore

Joe Ore New Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    If you accelerate hard with the speed limiter that the Wheels will spin, then you excite the speed limit on the pit you get penalty

6. S. FREDRIKSSON

Ratings:
    +31 / 0 / -0
    Sorry, but I still dont understand. Are you saying that you get a penalty even though you drive slower than the limit? So, the wheel spins, but your speed is lower than the limit and penalty?

7. pierredietze

pierredietze Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +232 / 0 / -0
    It is'nt THAT hard to understand. If you fully accelarate with spinning tires, you can reach 64 before the limiter cuts in and you get a penalty.
    Solution is easy, lift a little. Or start slower, you gain NOTHING with spinning tyres.

8. Joe Ore

Joe Ore New Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Before last Update there was not this issue, so it is a new bug

9. Vale

Vale Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +278 / 0 / -0
    If I´m not wrong, you get a penalty for spinning the wheels in the pitlane in some categories like WEC, so it may be a feature rather than a bug.

10. Joe Ore

Joe Ore New Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Can one developer comment on this problem

11. bubblejohns

bubblejohns Active Member

Ratings:
    +25 / 0 / -0
    because the pit limiter isnt programmed very well, that is something a real pit limiter will do.... if a team didnt take the time to get it to work properly. it could gut the fuel or ignition or even use an rpm limit to prevent quite a few issues that raceroom has had on its limiter since the beginning of the year.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Nico Kunze

Nico Kunze Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +395 / 0 / -0
    Just encountered the same. Pulled away from a pitstop with spinning tires at maybe 80% throttle, took until 63kph for the pit limiter to do anything, got a drive through and lost the otherwise secure win..
    Maybe @Alex Hodgkinson can comment on whether that pit limiter behaviour is intentional or something that could be looked at

13. FeltHλt

FeltHλt Moderator Beta tester

Ratings:
    +478 / 0 / -0
    what combo and settings? (tc etc)

14. Nico Kunze

Ratings:
    +395 / 0 / -0
    Audi dtm 2020 at lausitzring oval t1. Factory tc (so none for this car), auto clutch and obviously manual pitstops. Also it all happened in 1st gear so no shifts at an unfortunate point in time that interferred. Dont know what else might be important for this so just let me know if anything importants missing (however the race was on a random public server so regarding server side settings i dont really remember a lot)

• Informative Informative x 2
  15. Alex Hodgkinson

Alex Hodgkinson KW Studios Developer

Ratings:
    +1,948 / 0 / -0
    Inertia. If you're still accelerating hard at 59kph and the limiter kicks in, inertia will still take you beyond the pit speed. The pit limiters work by cutting engine power and not by applying brakes. Wheel spin around the designated pit speed will stop the system from being able to work as intended.

• Informative Informative x 1
  16. Nico Kunze

Ratings:
    +395 / 0 / -0
    I see, guess that does make sense but id just never encountered it to that extent before. Guess ill have to play around a bit and see when exactly it happens by how much :D

Last edited: Jun 30, 2022
  17. Maskerader

Maskerader Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +352 / 0 / -0
    Inertia of what, exactly? Where does the additional energy come from, to accelerate the car even further, if the engine power is cut off and there's also friction that works against the movement?

18. Vale

Vale Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +278 / 0 / -0
    I think he meant it is not instantaneous so you will still be gaining speed. It´s like when you mash the accelerator or put full thrust on in a plane, the effects are not immediate.

19. Alex Hodgkinson

Alex Hodgkinson KW Studios Developer

Ratings:
    +1,948 / 0 / -0
    Inertia of the whole vehicle. If you accelerate hard and then lift off the throttle, you don't instantly stop accelerating. It takes time for the acceleration to slow and then reverse into deceleration.

20. Maskerader

Maskerader Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +352 / 0 / -0
    Do you mean vehicle as a body with mass? If there's a force, there's acceleration. No force - no acceleration. At least that's how they taught me. No fuel - no energy coming into the system - no force. What am I missing here?

If you mean lifting off doesn't immediately stop the engine from generating force, then I get it. But then it's not about inertia of the vehicle, instead it's about engine's, drivetrain's, suspension's inertia and flex and their lag as a system.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2022