Raceroom running on CPU rather than graphics card? (VR)

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Navigator, Jun 28, 2022.

1. Navigator

Navigator Member

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    Hi guys,

After I got my new system in (mobo, cpu, ram etc.) and reusing my old GTX 1070, I reinstalled the game.
    First thing that occurs to me, is that at the first start, it wanted to install a launcher of some kind; didn't notice that on first use on my old system, but I may be getting old.
    Now I had to put over (saved it) some content from the documents folder, where settings are saved, because the screen was right beneath me and I couldn't get the button assigned to center the screen in front of me.
    Trying to start up the game without VR, just choosing that in Steam, made the game start in VR anyways.....

Now the game started, looked good, ran smooth......so I'm not complaining at all.
    However; fpsVR says the VGA load is 50% and the CPU load is 90%
    Also; CPU frame time is 0,3 ms (!!) whilst GPU frame time is about 14 ms and runs up like its going out of style when the is some more in the picture like smoke or sand (I didn't mean to spin ;) )

On the other hand; could be a problem of fpsVR too; so I checked with Afterburner and it says the same thing.
    However; that program speaks of 12 cores (I only have 6) and core 12 was the only one used to 90%, all others were much lower.

Is this supposed to be like that, is it how this game uses the system and I'm not to worry, or is there something off?

System specs:
    i5 11400f
    MSI Mag b560 Torpedo
    16 gb vengeance 3200Mhz
    GTX 1070 8gb
    and the rest like proper cooling, 850 watt Gold power supply and so on.

Any help is much appreciated, thanks in advance.

2. Vale

Vale Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +279 / 0 / -0
    I guess you have 6 cores and 12 threads. These programs tend to show aout 90% use on just 2 threads while the others are all much lower and that is normal due to this gameĀ“s architecture.

Regarding FPS, you can use the steam tool to see that, you should be getting around 90 with your system in non VR mode.

3. Navigator

Navigator Member

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    Thank you Vale!
    I can't get steam to show me the fps, so thats why I used fpsVR.
    But anyway; 0,3 ms GPU frame seemed very low to me, but that is the architecture you say?
    All nice and nothing to worry about then?

4. Balrog

Balrog Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +466 / 0 / -0
    RaceRoom is running on DX9, which is not VR compatible by default, yet the devs have found a way to integrate VR support. But because of this, the frametimes can be seen in fpsVR are not exactly correct (or to be more precise, your CPU frametimes are sort of combined CPU+GPU frametimes, because the video card has to wait for the CPU in every cycle).

5. Navigator

Navigator Member

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    Ah, got it!
    Seems okay then and it IS running wel; I'll leave it alone then.

Thanks guys!