Resolved Is AMD Adrenalin 22.3.1 the "golden" driver for all AMD 5000 and 6000 User?

Discussion in 'Community Support' started by keanos, Mar 29, 2022.

1. keanos

keanos Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +137 / 0 / -0
    I changed to 22.3.1 last weekend, and maybe you remember I already created some threads here because all drivers after 20.4.2/20.5.1 doesn't work with VR for me. I tried a few, some produced crashes, with some RaceRoom even doesnt't start with VR, and with some the performance was really poor in VR and unplayable or made strange effects, like wobbly car parts or tracks parts.

But I did now six 30 minutes singlepayer races at Ningbo and two 30 minute multiplayer races also at ningbo and until now everything seems fine. So maybe the 22.3.1 is the "Goldsample" driver for all AMD users who had performance issues or crashes?

I choosed Ningbo because for me it was also one of the tracks with lowest FPS in the past.
    I will also try other tracks during the next days and update here.

What are your experiences with this driver? Are you already tried it or did you tried it and still have issues?
    Or are you always using the newest driver and your are already using 22.3.2 and can say somtehing for this driver?

• Informative Informative x 1
    Last edited: Mar 29, 2022
  2. Janos Kovacs

Janos Kovacs Member

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    Hello fellow raceroomer,

I have recently bought an AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT and to my surprise its performance in Raceroom VR is a disaster.
    I mean it is completely unplayable, it doesnt hit 45 fps with minimum settings and low resolution. I had no trouble starting it in vr, steam vr and open vr, no glitches just the performance. With my usual setup for my old 1080ti this one goes with 20-25 fps.

In other titles the 6900 outperforms the 1080ti about 2x also in VR. AC runs perfectly with oculus and steam vr mode too.
    I have checked the non-VR performande too and where the 1080ti does 160fps the 6900 does 130fps. Its ok but stange, a 2x performing graphics card with lower fps in the same scenario.

After a whole day of triyng out different settings I have dropped back the 1080ti into the pc, same software setup etc, and its working perfectly. Just installed the driver and started it and it does 72fps (Quest 2) with plenty of headroom.

I am here for 2 reasons:

1: To warn people not to buy AMD graphics cards, if they plan to play Raceroom, especially in VR.
    I have seen the discussions in this forum about poor peformances caused by dx9/AMD cards and Im here to say that, yes dx9 limits the performance but the catastrophic performance cases are caused by AMD cards. The 1080ti runs it with vr 2.0 launch parameter (1.25 pixel density in Quest 2), 8x MSAA !!!, with SHADOWS ON, FFS!!! :) with 72+fps.

2: For help!
    I have tryed it with the newest driver, 22.6.1 (without luck), the old ones (20.x.x) are not compatible with 6000 series.
    I have a few days left to try things, then I will send it back.
    Any ideas are welcome.