Anti Aliasing is no Longer Working

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ibporsche85, Aug 25, 2022.

1. ibporsche85

ibporsche85 New Member

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    Back to Raceroom after some time off (last time racing was to verify my Donington purchase).
    Today, I find that my NVidia Inspector Anti Aliasing setting evidently aren't being applied.
    Therefore, Raceroom is a jaggy mess.
    Perhaps not coincidentally, my GTR2 and GTL installations are having the same issue.
    I'm not seeing anyone else with this issue, so I don't know where to turn.
    Nothing has changed on my system since I updated my graphics driver in March of 2022.
    Any ideas? Screenshots attached.
    System:
    Windows 10 Pro
    Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4790K CPU @ 4.00GHz 3.90 GHz
    32.0 GB RAM
    NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6GP Driver Version: 512.15
    Samsung Monitor @ 1920 x 1080 RR AA Fence.jpg RR AA Powerlines.jpg GTR2 Powerlines.jpg RR NVidia Inspector.jpg

2. Maskerader

Maskerader Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +356 / 0 / -0
    Windowed or fullscreen?

3. ibporsche85

ibporsche85 New Member

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    I've always run in Full screen. In game settings are: 8x without FXAA or Bloom.
    As an experiment, I just tried in Windowed Mode. Same issue, no AA.
    If I recall, there was an issue with GTR2/GTL where they had to be run in Windowed mode for NVidia Inspector AA settings to work. I had to use a borderless window program at the time.
    Then it was resolved, somehow or another ... perhaps by selecting "Enhance the Application" mode. It's been awhile, but the situation at least for GTR2/GTL was resolved.
    Now Raceroom looks as bad as those two without AA.

4. Arthur Spooner

Arthur Spooner Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +432 / 0 / -0
    AFAIK the AA in any driver settings never worked in RR. You have to enable AA in game. In the past I tried to see if setting AA in the nVidia control panel made any difference in image quality, but it just didn't have any effect and didn't work at all. I didn't use nVidia inspector, but if the game discards all AA made outside of the game, this doesn't really matter I guess.

BUT - you also said you have 8x AA set in game and this should still work, even with nVidia settings being discarded. Maybe something got corrupted on your end. You could try putting the graphics config in the bin and set it up from scratch again. You will find it under your documents folder:

..\Documents\My Games\SimBin\RaceRoom Racing Experience\UserData\graphics_options.xml

Just bin it - RR will create a new one from scratch when you start it so you have to set up all graphics settings in game again.

And another advice...don't use tools like nVidia inspector. It gives you access to settings you are not meant to have access to. And I'm only guessing here, but this might even have screwed up with the AA in these games.

5. ibporsche85

ibporsche85 New Member

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    Okay ... I deleted the Raceroom profile in NVidia Inspector.
    And things look good again. I didn't even have to delete/rebuild my graphics_options.xml.
    My guess is that something happened on the NVidia side (?).
    Thanks for your help Arthur and Maskerader.
    Now I'll have to see if there is a solution to the issue in GTR2/GTL.

6. Maskerader

Ratings:
    +356 / 0 / -0
    It works for me (nVidia). In the game AA is set to 2x, in the drivers it's "enhance app settings" and "8x" and the difference is easily noticeable. Normally I also add some sharpening on top to make objects and textures more crisp, but I tested it without this feature.

The reason I asked about windowed mode is that my nVidia settings only work in fullscreen but not in windowed mode and I have no clue why...

7. ibporsche85

ibporsche85 New Member

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    Do you use NVidia Inspector and/or NVidia Control Panel?

8. Maskerader

Ratings:
    +356 / 0 / -0
    Only Control panel.

9. hugotwowheels

hugotwowheels Member

Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0
    On AMD, I set the multiplier of AA in-game (8x) and method of AA in the drivers (supersampling).
    It's perfectly smooth in every way.

10. ravey1981

ravey1981 Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +873 / 0 / -0
    Interesting. Do you get better results or better fps doing it that way than just through the game? I haven't messed with settings Nvidia side although I do use some reshade.

11. Maskerader

Ratings:
    +356 / 0 / -0
    I just checked that you can set 8x AA in the game so I guess that one was unnecessary, but with other nVidia settings I get better visuals, yes (even when in-game details and texture settings are maxed out).

- Textures: "High quality" (by default it's "Quality" on my PC);
    - Anisotropic filtering: 16x;
    - and a bit of sharpening.

My GPU is quite old so 8x AA is the highest value it has.

P.S. There's one issue though: if you use these settings, sky textures get overly sharpened.

12. ibporsche85

ibporsche85 New Member

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    Thank you for your responses.

I deleted the GTR2, GTL, and RaceRoom profiles from NVidia Inspector.
    This at least improves the AA to what the games originally were capable of.

Then, Using NVidia Control Panel, I applied the following:
    Anisotropic filtering: 16x
    Antialiasing - FXAA: On
    Antialiasing - Mode: Enhance the application
    Antialiasing - Setting: 8x
    Texture filtering - Negative LOD bias: Clamp
    Texture filtering - Quality: High Quality

This definitely improved GTR2/GTL.
    I'm not sure I notice a difference with RaceRoom (perhaps because it already offers 8X AA).
    I'm not sure I see a difference with FXAA (either on or off).
    The worst part now is the white lines at the edge of the track. They are noticeably jagged where with
    NVidia AA Setting of 32xS [Combined: 2x2 SS + 8x MS] they were smooth.