Problem car feel like a tank

Discussion in 'Community Support' started by 247, Oct 26, 2022.

1. ravey1981

ravey1981 Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +873 / 0 / -0
    No idea, I've never turned it on.

2. ravey1981

ravey1981 Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +873 / 0 / -0
    At least keyboard has that progressive thing though, where it applies the steering gradually, you can see his wheel just twitching hard left and right. But yeah, it is most likely to be some other settings I suppose.

3. Maskerader

Maskerader Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +356 / 0 / -0
    Nah, keyboard steering looks like that if you press and release the button. There's also no progressiveness in it, it's linear - steering sensitivity only affects how fast it is (and only in "steering" direction; return speed is always the same).

4. 247

247 Active Member

Ratings:
    +38 / 0 / -0
    i guess you are talking about these?

Attached Files:

5. majuh

majuh Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +257 / 0 / -0
    You should reduce "Sterzo sensibile alla velocità". Setting it to 50% would probably be a good starting point.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Vale

Vale Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +279 / 0 / -0
    Sensibilita Sterzo should never be at 0% - I think you´ll find that is the main cause of the issue, raise it to 50% and work down if the steering is too reactive at all speeds. I use 25-30%, less makes the steering impossibly slow, more than that makes it too twitchy. IIRC 50% is default setting
    Next, Sterzo sensibile alla velocità is set too high, I use around 75% and you can also raise the minimum speed it starts to apply to 65km/h, for example. This will give you slower reactions to inputs the faster the car is going. If you put it to 100% then it over compensates and you get too little steering at high speeds.

Try adjusting these 3 settings in that order and using first a keyboard to eliminate variables from different types of controllers and Steam setup and report back. If it fixes the problem then transpose the settings for your controller. You may need to adjust some Steam controller settings too.

Alternatively, make a backup of your config file, rename it and delete the original one then the game will load with default settings - you will lose all mapped keys but at least it will give you default sensitivity settings. You can then screenshot them, delete the new file and rename back the old one. It is in the docs file on your c drive, not the Steam files folder.

Once your are done with that you can adjust the steering lock on each car in car setup. 9 is a good standar value but you may need up to 16 to get round corners on tracks like Macau - this will cause more tyre wear and slow the car down so always aim to use the minimum possible lock.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2023
  7. Maskerader

Ratings:
    +356 / 0 / -0
    What do you use for driving? Keyboard? Gamepad?

8. 247

247 Active Member

Ratings:
    +38 / 0 / -0
    will try what you people are suggesting, thank you

still i don't recall modifying things on there so those settings should be default, but playing raceroom since almost day 1, so maybe something slipped and i forgot i've changed things...

9. Maskerader

Ratings:
    +356 / 0 / -0
    Default is now 25%. I use 13%, it allows for smoother steering and more stable car in general. But I don't use "tapping" technique.

10. Vale

Vale Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +279 / 0 / -0
    You´ve also got 10% deadzone on steering inputs, it won´t affect keyboard inputs but will for controller analogue sticks. Throttle sensitivity should also be 50% for linear input, this will affect keyboard inputs and make the car slow to accelerate.

There is a controller setup guide on this forum where you can find some recommended settings but start with the keyboard first as it is easier to troubleshoot. Forza!

I just checked defaults are:
    steering sensitivity 25%
    throttle sensitivity 50%
    brake sensitivity 50%
    Steering speed sensitivity 75%
    low speed 130
    high speed 240
    throttle release 80%
    brake release 80%

When I am next in game I´ll check what I use.

• Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Jun 29, 2023
  11. 247

247 Active Member

Ratings:
    +38 / 0 / -0
    hello everybody, and thank you for your help

so, i'm online at indianapolis right now, with indycars

put deadzone to zero, it was there cause a very old controller needed it but forgot about it so put to zero
    put steering sensitivity to 25% and steering speed sensitivity at 50% and now i can feel a damn difference

i can still fill a little difference from when i have the countersteer assistance enabled , but now my car doesn't feel like a tank anymore

i guess i need to test more but i can say that's the right way for sure...

12. Vale

Vale Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +279 / 0 / -0
    The only thing I changed from stock config is to lower low speed to 119kph. Probably better to increase the steering speed sensitivity to 75% on ovals to make the car less responsive at higher speeds and also use minimum steering lock 8. Glad it is better.

13. Maskerader

Ratings:
    +356 / 0 / -0
    What do you use, keyboard or gamepad? Because some setting for them are different.

14. 247

247 Active Member

Ratings:
    +38 / 0 / -0
    actually using a steam controller

still, done a few online laps with and without countersteer assist, and it's really that better

will check an oval right now...

15. Maskerader

Ratings:
    +356 / 0 / -0