Preview In from the left-field: Porsche's 944 Turbo Cup

Discussion in 'News & Announcements' started by KW Studios, Jul 6, 2023.

1. KW Studios

KW Studios Official Information Developer

Ratings:
    +1,503 / 0 / -0
    [​IMG]

Today we are introducing Porsche’s 944 Turbo Cup racer from 1987, part of a trio of iconic Porsches that we’re releasing together in Raceroom this month. When you think of a Porsche, most would immediately turn to the iconic 911, with its recognisable lineage that stretches back from the current 992 shape to the original model in 1964. But in the mid-1970s Porsche released a brace of models from the left-field: the 924 and its beefier cousin the 928. Water cooling? The engine at the front? Four seats? A coupé? Heresy, surely?

[​IMG]

There was a precedent in going off-piste: specifically the targa-topped 914 that was launched at the turn of the ‘70s and saw success both on the road and on track – particularly in the USA – and also looked nothing like a ‘real’ Porsche. But it performed like one, felt like one – and sold more than the 911 ever did. This same approach was taken with the 924, with the same result: a less raw experience, but a Porsche experience nonetheless. An evolution of the 924, the 944 roared into view in 1982 and sold even more units – it was actually the highest selling Porsche model until the introduction of the Boxster.

[​IMG]

Free of the restrictions of the 911 platform (glorious and unique though it is), the 944 delivered a stable, quick GT platform for the road and track that was more accessible, practical – and cheaper. The turbocharged variant came online in 1986, the basis for the 1987 Cup model you’ll be driving.

[​IMG]

Setting the precedent for Porsche’s future Carrera Cup models, the 944 Cup was a lightly modified production car, gaining race suspension and brakes, a roll-cage, magnesium wheels and ABS while throwing out all the unnecessary road-going comforts to shed almost 300kg of dead weight.

[​IMG]

The 1987 model was up-gunned from the previous year, a new KKK turbocharger boosting power to 246hp from the original 217hp version, and the axles were widened for a more stable stance. The platform was always well-balanced, delivering an almost perfect 50/50 weight distribution.

[​IMG]

Ironically, the 944’s ‘aero’ produces almost no net downforce, so the car can be a bit light at high speed – which is something to watch out for. The tyres are also fairly skinny and the car is softly sprung, so at lower speed mechanical grip isn't massive. Balancing against these traits, the car is very progressive and communicate with what’s going on, allowing drivers to really get the feel of what’s happening beneath them.

[​IMG]

All in all, this is a racing car that delivers proper fun and driving pleasure while being a sensible challenge, and in the context of its one-make series will really allow you to gauge your performance. We’ve recreated 22 classic liveries from the period, which deliver a touch of retro style: our art team have done a great job bringing them to life. The car will also play well in multi-class races using cars from around the same era: throw yourself in at the deep-end with some fearsome Group Cs to deal with (in terms of being lapped!), or put yourself up against some of our IMSA GTO or Touring Classics as opposition.

[​IMG]

Next up we’ll be previewing the two modern machines that are included in our Porsche Pack release, due later in July: the 992-shape 911 GT3 Cup and GT3 R.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 12
    • Love it! Love it! x 5
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 6, 2023
  2. memoNo1

memoNo1 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +155 / 0 / -0
    Hello dear friends of RaceRoom.
    The 944 is a real blast!
    1245 kg with just 250 hp.
    With a steering angle of 1080 degrees like a truck, it's the perfect combination for pure driving fun.
    I had a few great laps with the car today in Charade.
    Keep up the good work.

• Like Like x 2
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2023
  3. memoNo1

Ratings:
    +155 / 0 / -0
    Good evening everyone.
    Dear Devs, I have a question about the 944.
    This car makes me desperate when changing gears quickly.
    From 5 to 2 as an example.
    Almost every time the gearbox crunches.
    What do I need to be aware of when downshifting?
    My Heel amd Toe is actually very good in terms of timing, but the car is very difficult to master in this case.
    Do I have to reach a certain rpm before downshifting?

4. memoNo1

Ratings:
    +155 / 0 / -0
    The Porsche 944 Turbo Cup Car!
    An all-round perfect car for inclined SimRacers who want to optimize their driving style, or quite the right car for beginners.
    Why?
    We have a 5-speed H-shift and no electronic driving aids.
    With more than 1300 KG with a full tank, certainly not a lightweight, with just 250 hp.
    The perfect timing, braking and acceleration technique is required here in order to maneuver the vehicle exactly to the apex and exit of the curve.
    If you master this, you have found the optimum cornering speed in the middle of the corner.
    The massive turbo lag below 5000 RPM has to be optimally avoided by braking and accelerating maneuvers, since it is a cup vehicle, the gears cannot be adjusted.
    In addition, braking and accelerating must be done carefully and precisely.
    The massive steering angle of 1080° requires a lot of work from the driver, but not too much, since too much steering angle means additional friction on the tires and thus automatic loss of time.
    Anyone who understands the concept of this vehicle will love it.
    Because it tries to teach everything that is needed to become a faster driver or a better driver.
    I love this car and the concept behind it.
    A great decision by KW Studios to provide us with this car in RaceRoom.
    The current FFB update has also done very well for RRRE.
    I can clearly feel the vehicle's weight transfer and feel connected to the vehicle's tires on the track. At any time!
    I really hope that more SimRacers will pay attention to this great sim and this great car.
    Because the developers have done a really damn good job here!

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Wonderful Wonderful x 1
  5. NL-Jos

NL-Jos Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +182 / 0 / -0
    Some members of our community complains about the big difference of speed between driving with our without shifter

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. memoNo1

Ratings:
    +155 / 0 / -0
    Not only that!
    It is also possible to change the steering angle from 1080 to 540 degrees under "Get Real" in the time table.
    I don't like that at all!
    KW should separate the tables for those who really drive "real" with the H shifter and the original steering angle.
    The time tables are a joke like this!

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  7. Maskerader

Maskerader Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +356 / 0 / -0
    You can't enforce this. Many wheel software allow you to change steering range, and the game doesn't know what the steering range is set to.