December 2023 AI thread ...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Andi Goodwin, Dec 18, 2023.

1. Andi Goodwin

Andi Goodwin Moderator Beta tester

Ratings:
    +791 / 0 / -0
    i know we were answering questions but as much as possible can we keep this to; observations and data ; so as stated in the first post ;
    other useful stuff that helps with the ai ; is if you have done a leaderboard time for the same combo , this alows us to see your time and balance against it

thanks

Andi

• Like Like x 2
  2. Sonntagsfahrer

Sonntagsfahrer New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    sorry,
    i did a new test:
    tire wear after 32 min: F: 19/11, R: 2/0
    after 35min F: 9/0 R: 0/0
    after 39 min all tires 0 %

• Informative Informative x 2
  3. nedimmb

nedimmb Member

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    AIs are way too quick
    Tested with GT3R class
    Track is Watkins Glen International(Chicane)
    The skill level is 95
    The AIs are just too quick. They will make lap times of 1:44s and 1:45s on average, have massive straight line speed and always fly through corners 5, 7, 10 and 11 like a jet.

Quick RANT: I don't know where I should start. This long awful dilemma with the AIs at Watkins Glen which I have had so often with this game at this exact same race track for over a year, doesnt seem like an issue you wish to patch and never allow to reappear again. Prior to this "update", I did not have this type of AI dilemma at the Glen and was always able to race them even at 105 % difficulty, yet they were rubberbanding as soon as I take the lead but it didnt still concern me. Now, if I can pull a 20 + second lead at for example Nordschleife and also not suffer from any similar dilemma at Brno(where the same happened before) at this same difficulty since the patch with no issues, but still can't race the AIs at Watkins Glen, then you really need to sort this out and I mean for real. Or in better case, remove the track from the game?

• Useful Useful x 1
    Last edited: Dec 27, 2023
  4. Antonio MuIIen

Antonio MuIIen New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I have noticed after testing; regardless of the AI difficulty, in high speed corners they have enormous grip. Check this out when you get the chance to.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Antonio MuIIen

Antonio MuIIen New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    "no lie"

• Love it! Love it! x 1
  6. AlleyViper

AlleyViper Active Member

Ratings:
    +39 / 0 / -0
    Humm, I noticed that I have a lot of trouble following TCR AI at the Monza Parabolica when at 102-103%, and maybe some at lesmos, also at Portimão's last corner. Not sure if by lacking skill as I only play it seldomly, of if at >100% their grip is over player car limits and it shows more in those situations where a FF car struggles.

7. Andi Goodwin

Ratings:
    +791 / 0 / -0
    lap times are important

Andi

8. AlleyViper

AlleyViper Active Member

Ratings:
    +39 / 0 / -0
    About 2m-2m01s on a WTCR22 Civic (def setup), same as their midfield on a not too eventful lap, add +1s on a so-so lap, but not sure if even relevant as I'm pretty slow. The comment was in relation to AI's uneven pace. When I quickrace at 102-103% without qualy it's usually to follow them starting at ~16th/20 on a 10m sprint, it's set so I'll be faster than a dueling midfield to end mid/up-top10 without much L1 abuse when they bunch up. But it's always packed, so there's rarely a chance to do a clean lap, plus surviving their divebombs at t1 and parabolica.
    That's why I'm pointing to a particular sector where they seem much faster in comparison to the rest of their relative pace in the rest of the lap. It was an observation to support the previous user who mentioned their grip at high speed corners, which are particularly hard accelerating out on FF cars. OTH, it'll be easy to gain them on heavy braking as in T1 or T4 (chicane), or Ascari exit next to track limits to keep to their lap times, but laps will look totally different per sector.
    Just try braking at the same point they do at Parabolica, then corner with their speed and trajectory without understeering out or losing more than half a second (with just enough distance so it's not due to dirty air). Sometimes you'll even see them slightly sideways while exiting very fast as if it was an rwd car. It's not rare to defend their attack on the inside, forcing them to lose extra entry speed, and even then they'll be able to out-accelerate/grip moving to the outside.

IMHO, there's a good chance that if you have enough skill to corner as fast as them there at that difficulty, then for AI to keep up similar laps times to a player with that skill, it'd have to be set at a much higher percentage than I'm using.

• Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2024
  9. Wifredo Sevilla

Wifredo Sevilla Member

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0
    AI pace is a little off:
    The car class (AI selection): Mazda MX5 Cup
    The track layout: Daytona Road Course
    The AI Strength setting: 94/95
    Your qualifying time versus AI qualifying time: 2:15.329 vs 2:15:3xx (94 AI strenght)/ 2:14.2xx (95 AI)
    Your race best lap versus AI pace: 2:14.950 vs 2:15.4xx (94)/ 2:14.1xx

Description of how AI pace is off (slow in fast sections? fast in straights? etc)
    Default setup was used for this test.
    While this car was known even before the new tyre model for being superfast in straights --easily observable on this track layout when the AI's exit the cambered corners, I find there is a huge step on AI strenght. At 94% I can easily beat them both in Q and race, and they don't pose a challenge at all. Then at 95 I can't cope with them, and they always run away from me on straights no matter how much speed I manage to carry on corner exits. To have some fun at this strenght I must go and tune up the set up --setting toes at 0º it's enough to pull the tenths I need to saty with them, but not to get in a podium position due to my lack of skill. However it stil feels like there is a huge step from one strength setting to the next one.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. Andi Goodwin

Ratings:
    +791 / 0 / -0
    if you run that another few times im pretty sure you will get 3 different results ; it really depends on the racing as such ; and at some point i believe the objective of beating the ai will involve doing some setup tweaks as you progress ;
    As with all reports i will check and feedback
    At present we do know that ai are to fast in fast sections and too slow in tight slow sections ; hopefully we will be testing a slow section fix once the holidays are over and once that id done we can then balance the faster corners

thanks for the reports everyone

please keep them coming

Andi

• Like Like x 5
    • Useful Useful x 1
  11. TeaD3m0n30

TeaD3m0n30 New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Tested Adac Gt Masters 2019 on Brno with AI difficulty set to 102

I can do a 1:59:8xx in Quali and was able to do low 2:00:xx in the race.
    The AI was able to put a 1:57:2xx in Quali, so I finished dead last in Quali.
    During Race the AI was doing even faster laps from 1:56:9xx (fastest AI) to 2:00:2xx (slowest AI).

In general the AI is extremely fast in high & medium speed corners. I think the are way to quick for this AI level though when comparing to before the update.
    Also the AI struggles a lot in corner 11/12 where they loose about 300 tens compared to me while gaining 1.5 secs in sectore one and two. It feels like the AI has way more grip around the track and they have enormous top speed on the straights which I cannot match even when lowering the rear wing to the minimum setting

12. TeaD3m0n30

TeaD3m0n30 New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Also tested with older DTM 2015 against 100 AI on Brno

The AI was able to do a 1:52:3xx in Quali whereas I did a 1:54:4xx (default Setup) in both Quali & Race
    The AI was doing 1:52:5xx in the Race.
    I think the AI is way too quick on not only on this but on all levels.

Throughout race and Quali it was noticeable that the AI had way more grip in all corners than me. It almost feels like its a multi class race and I was driving in the lower category. In the first corner they had so much grip that I lost around 6 tens a lap compared to the AI. They were even able to simply overtake on the outside line of corner 1 with enormous speed advantage and had extremely high top speed on the following straight line.

I also noticed that the AI has much problems with corners 3,5 and 6 where AI had lots of spins.

Throughout some more tests on different race tracks and different GT & DTM classes I would say that the AI has improved lap times after the last update by at least 2-4 seconds for the same AI level depending on the car & track combo.
    I think the main problem is that AI has ridiculously high grip which results in corner speeds that simply cannot be matched. Also they have an extremely high top speed on the straight line

• Like Like x 1
  13. Andi Goodwin

Ratings:
    +791 / 0 / -0
    It is known about high speed in corners / slow in slow corners and generally the top speed thing is due to exit speed aswell

As for the ai being x seconds faster ; that was part of the target for ai ; so that 104/105% was now 100% or as close as possible
    as for the too fast /slow ai this will be looked at once we have finished testing in the background

Andi

• Informative Informative x 2
  14. nedimmb

nedimmb Member

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    AIs are both a hit or miss
    Race class: GT3R
    Race track Spa Francorchamps
    Difficulty level: 95 %
    The multiple issues discovered: Whenever the race gets going, the AIs will always crawl through the La Source hairpin where you can easily gain as many as 7 positions. When not leading, the AIs will awkwardly swing to the left and off the racing line on turn 10 and drop in pace. The AIs also fly through Pouhon like a jet compared to me. I can hold a lead through the race no problem but, if I have a 5 second time lead before Pouhon, the AIs will catch me with atleast 0,8 seconds through Pouhon. And they also fly away when not in the lead. Between turns 16 and 18, the straight-line speed is higher on the AIs, even when I do not adjust the rear wing of the setup. When looking after the race, the AIs in the Bentley Continental GT are much faster compared to the rest of the cars. My best lap time was a 2:19:3xx, the fastest AI was making a 2:19:1xx. And it was happening only when leading the race which of course means, the AIs are so rubberbanded.
    Worthy mentioning, prior to this update, the AI did not behave like this at Spa and my race pace was always on match with their, but after the update it feels like the AIs are in the same state as the game was years before.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Andi Goodwin

Ratings:
    +791 / 0 / -0
    im going to disagree with a few points ; one ; the ai in front ; if it really has clear air and isnt defending should run some of the fastest laps
    the issues with speed in fast corners has been answered a few times if you read the thread
    but they are also slow in some corners ; this will be addressed
    ai now run slightly different lines ; a bit more defending and not leaving as many massive holes to dive in to
    the ai didnt behave like this before because they were on a different tyre model with many ; many updates and tweaks to the ai ; how they run and there corner speed
    this ai has existed for less than a month ; so give it a chance to get a few updates

Andi

• Agree Agree x 2
  16. nedimmb

nedimmb Member

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    Thank you for the explaination. And yes, you did address that well but just take note that, I mostly am concerned over if they are too fast or too slow through any corner. Anything else that you point out that you disagree with is fair enough. But the Pouhon dilemma I just recently had is the more alarming one

• Like Like x 1
  17. nedimmb

nedimmb Member

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    Also just to update, the Bentley Continental GT AI pace is still something you might want to take a look at. It still happens!

• Like Like x 1
  18. AlleyViper

AlleyViper Active Member

Ratings:
    +39 / 0 / -0
    Oh, I totally missed this. Haven't run R3E much, so I forgot about ai lap times at my usual % to compare to, and assumed I'm just slower than usual adding to tyre model changes requiring adaptation. So the 102-103% I've always used before, should now be something like 98-99% for the same pace target under current AI?
    Thanks

• Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2024
  19. Muzarati

Muzarati Member

Ratings:
    +20 / 0 / -0
    Don't know if this is related or not but AI at Brands Hatch GP are out of control, so many spins it's ridiculous, doesn't matter what car or level.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Maskerader

Maskerader Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +356 / 0 / -0
    AI prone to accidents:
    WTCC 2013, Suzuka GP, 95 skill. Standing start, T1 L1 there's always several spins and some cars oversteer but catch it. On lap 2, there's rarely a problem in T1, although some cars lose the rear slightly. In 130R some cars are unstable, but it's mostly BMWs and they often spin.

• Like Like x 1